Does Tampa have what it takes to win the Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
They don’t really have any chinks in the armour. Only thing that can really stop them is themselves if they implode.

The old saying you have to learn how to lose before you learn to win seems to be fufilled as well. They lost in a cup final and WCF so they’re due to win it all if they play like they have all year.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
25% chance the President's trophy wins the cup.

A hot goalie screws this up so often.
I’d wager this is probably still higher than any other finish. It’s just that any team can really win it all.

If I had to bet on a team, I’d bet on the Lightning. But if I’m betting any team vs. the field, I take the field.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Money is on TB winning it all, but I think Tampa winning will have a lot to do with the refs.

If the refs put the whistles away, then teams like the cup winning LA, or Boston squads of the past get to run rampant and win by bullying, and manhandling them.

A hot goalie putting it together at the right time can screw with them. We saw Halak take down the 1st and 2nd seeds in Washington and Pittsburgh. We've seen Holtby stone them last year.

We've seen teams like San Jose disappoint year after year.

Cinderella teams that put it all together have demolished even the craziest teams in the pre-cap era. We saw a budget Kariya lead Anaheim ducks beat one of the Greatest Wings team ever assembled. We saw the Crappy 8th seed Oilers beat the Presidents Trophy Winning Wings. I remember the NYI beat the ultra-stacked Lemieux/Francis/Jagr lead Penguins without a single player I can remember.

A key injury to Hedman or Kucherov could throw them into a tailspin.

If they face Pittsburgh in the first round, I give them a 50/50 chance of making it out of that first round.

NHL isn't like other sports. The playoffs are completely different beast.

Yes they're the favorites to win it all, but it's not shocking at all if they lose.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I saw it stated by some they have no former cup winners, not sure if entirely true. But that also no team without a former cup winner has won in like 16 years

They have several players who have been to multiple ECFs on two different teams. Not easy to get that much playoff experience. Also, The last past cup winner they had was a real dud for the playoffs.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
25% chance the President's trophy wins the cup.

A hot goalie screws this up so often.

Which is more than any other seed in history. #1 seed wins the Cup more than any one of #2-#16 do. So while the odds are not in the favor of the President's Trophy winners, they do always have the single best odds... as confusing as that might be.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
IMO, they needed to trade for a Ristolainen type guy. Kucherov got pushed around by Risto big time, and ended up fighting him. Think about it. Kuch is fighting Risto. Tampa needed to add some nastiness. Risto, Zadorov, something like that. I don't know whether they are build to withstand a lot of physical play. Yes, the game has changed - but it is still much heavier in the playoffs.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, they needed to trade for a Ristolainen type guy. Kucherov got pushed around by Risto big time, and ended up fighting him. If you are Tampa, how is it possible that a 5'10 Kuch (and please don't tell me he's 6 ft tall) is fighting Risto? Tampa needed to add some nastiness. Risto, Zadorov, something like that. I don't know whether they are build to withstand a lot of physical play. Yes, the game has changed - but it is still much heavier in the playoffs.

Done. We added Erik Cernak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Master P

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
IMO, they needed to trade for a Ristolainen type guy. Kucherov got pushed around by Risto big time, and ended up fighting him. Think about it. Kuch is fighting Risto. Tampa needed to add some nastiness. Risto, Zadorov, something like that. I don't know whether they are build to withstand a lot of physical play. Yes, the game has changed - but it is still much heavier in the playoffs.

Tampa is big so...

Erne and Cernak are no joke.

Hedman is 6'6.

And their small players like Gourde, Johnson, Point and Killorn are scrappy

Reactions: The Green Unit

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Tampa is big so...

Erne and Cernak are no joke.

Hedman is 6'6.

And their small players like Gourde, Johnson, Point and Killorn are scrappy
Love Cernak. But not much experience there. Erne is a big boy, I'll give you that. Hedman is not a tough guy; he is a skill guy. He's no Chara. And yes, their small guys are scrappy. They could benefit from a really nasty big experienced D. But guys like that don't grow on trees, obviously.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Yes they have what it takes. Kucherov is the best player in the league right now, elite 1-2C punch, good depth, super elite 1D, 1 of the best goalies. Basically everything you need to win. But obviously luck will play a huge part.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Absolutely yes. They are the best team in the league bar none. On paper or on their current point production they are by far the best team. Problem is the SC is the hardest championship to win in pro sports. TB has the talent but can they actually do it remains to be seen. TB has to prove they can translate their great reg season performance into the PO's. If I was a betting man I would bet on them that they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtown

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
nope. goalies not too great yet in playoffs, same with kutch stammer hedman etc. not that great in the playoffs.... yet. not soft but not tough either- i think a huge upset is coming. either boston or toronto will beat them.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Regular season results don't always translate, but I'm tired of hearing about "not having what it takes", "not enough grit", "not enough vets", "inability to win big games", etc when good teams lose.

Sometimes its just bad luck, that's sports. Right now Tampa would be my favorite to win, but if they don't I think it would be silly for them to go looking for a new identity for the next season
TB has actually been quite lucky in the playoffs, they were dominated by the Caps and Pens and were outplayed by Montreal in 2015.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
One of the most common ingredients in a Cup win is one particular role-player who just goes off the rails in the post-season. If for example Tampa can get Tyler Johnson to go beast mode again, that would put an already super-elite squad into surefire Cup territory.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
nope. goalies not too great yet in playoffs, same with kutch stammer hedman etc. not that great in the playoffs.... yet. not soft but not tough either- i think a huge upset is coming. either boston or toronto will beat them.

Stamkos is terrible in the playoffs but Kucherov is great.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Obviously they have what it takes, it's just a matter of great execution against one team in a series, 4x.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

If any team will beat them my guess it will be Toronto. That said I don't see Toronto beating the Bruins in the first round so I don't think anyone except maybe the Caps have a chance against TB.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I mean they lost in the Eastern finals last year to the cup winner in a 7 game series and they were the only team that took Washington to 7 games. It's not like they were bounced early by some average team. This year I think they are generally regarded to have an as good or better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad