Does Tampa have what it takes to win the Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
It may sound like a silly question, but regular season success doesn't always translate to playoff success.

Hell, the 2005-06 Wings ended up with 124 points and got kicked out of the playoffs in the first round by the Oilers. Ten years before that, 62 wins and 131 points, out in the second round against St. Louis.

The Capitals and Sharks from a few years ago are also guilty parties. In Washington's case, they badly lacked depth at F and defense.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Of course.

They probably won't though, teams don't tend to cruise like that through the regular season and win the Cup.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
The Lightning have made at least the ECF 3 out of the last four seasons. Lost in the Finals to one of the better teams post 2005, lost in ECF twice to the eventual champs. They are battle tested and they are elite all around this season. They should get the job done this year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Absolutely

on top of all that talent - they even have playoff experience, and strong clutch performers. Kucherov. Hedman. Cup final a few years ago.

But having what it takes to win - and actually winning - aren't the same thing. Doesn't mean they'll win

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
You never know what'll happen in the playoffs, but if I had to bet on a team, it would be the Lightning right now. If a tougher team like last year's Winnipeg, or a team with Cup winning experience like Pittsburgh was at least close, I'd bet on them. But, Tampa has separated itself this year.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
They're likely going to have the best record since the 96 Red Wings. So yes, they have what it takes to win the cup.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Regular season results don't always translate, but I'm tired of hearing about "not having what it takes", "not enough grit", "not enough vets", "inability to win big games", etc when good teams lose.

Sometimes its just bad luck, that's sports. Right now Tampa would be my favorite to win, but if they don't I think it would be silly for them to go looking for a new identity for the next season

Reactions: JLaw1719

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Very probably yes, but until they show that they have such an excess of skill that they can overpower teams with balanced skill plus physical play, it'll be a valid question. They're my pick to win it all this year, though, as they are for most people.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Uhh... Yes? Elite talent at centre. Best winger (arguably player) in hockey. Tons of scoring depth. Many two-way forwards. Elite defensive talent at top end. Good defensive depth. Good mix of skills on defence. Elite goaltending. Good coaching. Great team chemistry. Do they lack anything?

Not saying they're a lock, but they have it all.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There's no reason why not. But they'll likely play the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league in round two, and the Bruins look white hot right now. If they lose a tough series to Boston or Toronto, will it go down as a disaster/choke?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Regular season results don't always translate, but I'm tired of hearing about "not having what it takes", "not enough grit", "not enough vets", "inability to win big games", etc when good teams lose.

Sometimes its just bad luck, that's sports. Right now Tampa would be my favorite to win, but if they don't I think it would be silly for them to go looking for a new identity for the next season

Exactly. Given the playoff format, 2 of Boston, Toronto and Tampa won't make it to the ECF. That's 2 of the 4 best teams in the league right now that won't even make it to the ECF. There's going to be some really good teams that are out early.

That doesn't mean they didn't have what it takes. Just means they weren't the best in that series.

Reactions: 1OApick and jc17

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They have more than enough talent but they can go quietly against physical teams and the coaching is a little meh when the talent doesn't work all on its own.

They have what it takes to win but I wouldn't count on their regular season success translating seamlessly into the playoffs.

Reactions: One Winged Angel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad