Does Tampa have what it takes to win the Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Damn, everyone saying Tampa losing in the ECF will be considered choking....
Us Senators fans still gloat about our run to the ECF and we think that was a huge success for the franchise.
Must be nice.
Expectations are as high as it gets inside and outside of Tampa. Rationally though, the chances of reaching a conference finale, let alone the SCF, let alone winning the entire thing, are extremely low - whether you're a regular season juggernaut and Presidents' Trophy winner tying and breaking franchise and league records or just a team that barely squeezed into the 2nd wild card spot.

(Most) Tampa fans around here know this and just enjoy the ride. 2 ECF and 1 SCF in the past four years is something special but one gets oh so easily used to success and with it expectations rise, I guess.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd say this Lightning team is much better particularly defensively and with goaltending.

We're also significantly better down the middle than in previous years, even though it doesn't appear that way at first. Steven Stamkos has found his game this year (Stammer 3.0), and Brayden Point has progressed into the elite tier.

The shake-up of our assistant coaches appears to have worked wonders as well.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Boston is getting overrated now. Recency bias is having to do a lot with this. Boston is good but still nowhere near Tampa's standards if we're going off this season.

We're talking about a Bruins team that is practically the same as last year...who got beat in 5 games by Tampa. And Tampa is considerably stronger this year
Some HF Bruins fans have tendency to view themselves as perennially great while no on else around them ever improves. When they lose it's because of refs. It's a perfect system.

Reactions: OVO16

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
nope

not enough size/toughness upfront
I don't know. They physically abused Boston in the playoffs last season. They lost to the Caps because they didn't score in games 6 and 7 and not because their hits/game was too low.

Actually I take that first sentence back, I do know. Toughness is overrated as f***.

Reactions: The Green Unit

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don't know. They physically abused Boston in the playoffs last season. They lost to the Caps because they didn't score in games 6 and 7 and not because their hits/game was too low.

Actually I take that first sentence back, I do know. Toughness is overrated as ****.

Sure buddy

You may not need toughness in the regular season as the refs will bail you out

Not in the playoffs

Soft as butter stamkos and kucherov doesnt help

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Sure buddy

You may not need toughness in the regular season as the refs will bail you out

Not in the playoffs

Soft as butter stamkos and kucherov doesnt help
The guy who's second in playoff scoring since 2015 won't help us in the playoffs? "Sure buddy" right back at you.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Damn, everyone saying Tampa losing in the ECF will be considered choking....
Us Senators fans still gloat about our run to the ECF and we think that was a huge success for the franchise.
Must be nice.

Could not be more apples to oranges, 'mate. In 2016-'17, you weren't even expected to be a playoff contender. Just making the playoffs would be considered a huge success that season. On top of that, Boston was the odds-on favorite in that first round series. Odds are, New York was the odds-on favorite in the second round. And Pittsburgh surely was an overwhelming favorite in the conference final.

Winning those first two rounds, splitting the first six games, and going to double-OT against the Penguins? Unfathomable. And even if the Sens came up short, it was a memorable run.

None of that applies to the Lightning here. They will be favored against any team they face in the postseason, whether they should be or not. We've had Final expectations for three years now, and either missed the playoffs entirely or pissed away a 3-2 ECF series lead in all three years. Cliché as it sounds, it's truly put-up-or-shut-up time for the Lightning. So losing in the Conference Final? I doubt any of us will be happy with that. Understanding, maybe, depending on what kind of circumstances unfold, but that's nothing we would celebrate. If we don't want to be the East Sharks, then we need to close the deal one of these years.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
They won the First Round Sweep Cup, narrowly beating out Pittsburgh by mere minutes.

Congrats, Tampa!

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
The guy who's second in playoff scoring since 2015 won't help us in the playoffs? "Sure buddy" right back at you.
C43193765A9FF804793E87B881251E0C28D5079A

Reactions: Cats2TheCup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad