Does Sullivan still have his job?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I imagine so - but he's likely got until this coming December to show life.

Scoring one goal per game is not really the coaches fault. Even the (mostly) brain-dead play by play guys knew it was due to the fact our guys couldn't even get out of our own end, and when we did we got about 8 seconds of zone time being smothered by the Isles.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I imagine so - but he's likely got until this coming December to show life.

Scoring one goal per game is not really the coaches fault. Even the (mostly) brain-dead play by play guys knew it was due to the fact our guys couldn't even get out of our own end, and when we did we got about 8 seconds of zone time being smothered by the Isles.

With the players on that roster, not being unable to score is entirely on the coach

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With the players on that roster, not being unable to score is entirely on the coach
I mean, yeah. But I would send a very stern message to JR and Sullivan by firing Martin, Recchi, and letting both know they are on a short f***ing leash next season.

Then I would hire another Assistant GM to make sure the old f***er knows his job isn't safe either.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Will he? Most likely. Unless Sid has turned on him . . . most likely.

Should he? No. Coaches are hired to be fired, and the expiration date should come when he refuses to adjust to the team he has and the opponent he's facing and instead would rather lose his way.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Its not Martin but i think Sullivan should be fired. This all started with him benching Ian Cole cause he didn't like him, not playing Ryan Reaves 4th line minutes, refusing to take defenseman who are plugs and sit them in the press box, refusing to use young players properly ( ie. Sprong), and just a arrogant refusal to adjust. Gtfoh

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Its going to come down to what Crosby, Malkin and Letang say. If they back him, he stays, if they dont, he goes. I dont think youll get anyone better at this point. The only two coaches that I was interested in are already taken.

Reactions: Andy99 and TNT87

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He wont, also there is nobody that is as good as him out there. Maybe get someone like Tocchet back here and make the roster to Sullivans needs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Its going to come down to what Crosby, Malkin and Letang say. If they back him, he stays, if they dont, he goes. I dont think youll get anyone better at this point. The only two coaches that I was interested in are already taken.

Letang isn't part of that equation. Malkin gets a say, I suppose, but in terms of player influence this one really boils down to Sid.

Reactions: Pens17

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Is Quennville still available?

No, which is why it's stupid to consider firing Sullivan now.

When people were clamoring for Bylsma to be fired, there were only 3 coaches that I knew for certain would be an upgrade. Babcock, Quennville and Trotz. Not to say that there weren't coaches better than Bylsma, but it was pretty much a guarantee. The Penguins fiddled around with Bylsma and missed out on Trotz. They got lucky with Sullivan.

You aren't going to get lucky again, or if they do then the Penguins are extremely lucky. Every coach was made to be hired and fired, every coach has flaws, every system has flaws. The Penguins have made good decisions and bad decisions the past two seasons, firing Sullivan now would be worse than trading Letang or whoever else people want gone. There will be changes. Rutherford's seat should be hot, Sullivan's should be warm. Rutherford has built this team around a false notion of needing to be tough. This is his doing.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Letang isn't part of that equation. Malkin gets a say, I suppose, but in terms of player influence this one really boils down to Sid.
It does boil down to Sid, but he will take into account what the other two think. Sid has never been one to make the decisions on his own.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Sullivan wasn’t the main problem but This group only improves when their coach is fired and gets a new hire.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad