Does sticktape colour effect your game?

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I disagree with that .... when the first composites came out I would agree with that but not now. Keep in mind if people are using mid priced stuff they are not getting the same performance as a top end blade. I have a couple of Montreal blades that are graphite and they have NO feel.

Of course I use 2 piece sticks (composite shafts and blades) and a lot of one piece sticks are really 2 piece. i've never owned a true one piece so I cannot comment but I am sure someone here will.

I can say however the 2 piece has ZERO difference between wood feel and what is felt with a composite blade. I've used wood for 35 years or so and switched in December to composites and my opinion is they are just as good feel wise as wood.

I absolutely very strongly disagree with your assessment on this issue.

I just want to clarify, with the two-piece are you talking about a comp blade has the same feel as a wood blade?

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I just want to clarify, with the two-piece are you talking about a comp blade has the same feel as a wood blade?

Yes that is what I mean .... ANY (quality) comp blade feels as good as wood these days. One piece, two piece .... glued onto the end of a broom handle .... whatever.

I think you will find this is so ... like i said i used wood for 35 years or so and honestly they are the same now.

The benefits are that the comp will outlast the wood one many times over so paying a little more than one would for wood is actually a lot cheaper. .... not that wood is even cheap these days.

I was one of the last holdouts and kept praising wood wood wood .... comps suck etc.

I have come to the realization that one is never too old to learn new things.

I will never ever go back to wood.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
... well to get back on track with tape colors, does anyone think that those stick tape pad things make a difference?

You know, those peel and stick surfaces with team logos and what not? I forget what those are called sorry.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
I would think that those things would lead to premature wear of your stick. my sticks seem to take the most abuse on the bottom of the blade and on the toe.(the narrow part). I seem to get cracks in the composite and I tape the whole of the blade to help fight against this. sticks are too expensive to do anything that would help lead to them wearing out early. I go so far as to take a piece of tape and run it all the way around the outside of the blade before i start my tape job.

GuitarAwesome

Feb 18, 2009
I've never used them, but looks to me, like they would feel clunky.
I use black tape, always. Don't like puck marks on the white, looks gross to me. I'll always put two strips on the bottom of the blade, then wrap around. Add wax, heat to a smooth finish, and rock and roll.

Additional question: anyone ever use the plastic insert for the end of your stick? Supposed to "help you grip better?" I wonder how those feel.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Yes that is what I mean .... ANY (quality) comp blade feels as good as wood these days. One piece, two piece .... glued onto the end of a broom handle .... whatever.

I think you will find this is so ... like i said i used wood for 35 years or so and honestly they are the same now.

The benefits are that the comp will outlast the wood one many times over so paying a little more than one would for wood is actually a lot cheaper. .... not that wood is even cheap these days.

I was one of the last holdouts and kept praising wood wood wood .... comps suck etc.

I have come to the realization that one is never too old to learn new things.

I will never ever go back to wood.

I have tried near every top end OPS, the R10 (which i use) is the only OPS that i feel comes close to the feel of wood. And even that is not that close.

I have a s***load of the TPS aircraft core woodies that i use every so often, nothing comes close to the feel i get off these. But what i get from a OPS outweighs what i get from a wood stick.

I have been thinking about picking up a couple shafts and some wooden blades, i would like to go back to wood but im not going back to a wooden stick full time (will use them from time to time when im in the mood).

Anyways i have never used a comp blade that had the feel of wood. To each there own i guess.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
... well to get back on track with tape colors, does anyone think that those stick tape pad things make a difference?

You know, those peel and stick surfaces with team logos and what not? I forget what those are called sorry.

Apparently they are quite good, they are being used in the NHL now.

I wouldnt use one personally, taping a stick is just something that is part of the game for me, it wouldnt feel right not taping a stick.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
Bacon, try a One95. Amazing feel.

The one95 is a great stick, I got it 2 weeks ago after me SE16 Broke. I was blown away by the feel and the lightness of the stick. Absoloutly my favourite stick right now

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
I always use black tape, because I hate how white tape looks. But the few times I ran out of tape and had to borrow someone else's white tape, it made no difference in play. Of course as soon as I got home, I immediatley got some black tape and changed it up.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
If there is a color advantage to tape, I've always seen it as such:

White:
Good: Easier to see on other people and your own stick.
Bad: Easier for the opposition to see it on your own stick.

Black:
Good: Harder for the goalie to see the puck on your stick.
Bad: Harder for your teammates to see the puck on your stick.

Regardless, I've always gone white. I think it has an effect on people, and I know my team can get by the goalie, so I want to make their life easier if it is a problem.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
I still think tape colour makes no difference, though it may have a placebo effect. I had my green bladetape and a teammate was arguing that i was Pejorative Slured due to the fact i had green tape and i should only have white/black. Well i said bladetape is 100x better than normal tape and just watch, he laughed. Well he got 0 points, we won 4-3, i scored 3 goals, 1 assist. Must of been luck eh?

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I still think tape colour makes no difference, though it may have a placebo effect. I had my green bladetape and a teammate was arguing that i was Pejorative Slured due to the fact i had green tape and i should only have white/black. Well i said bladetape is 100x better than normal tape and just watch, he laughed. Well he got 0 points, we won 4-3, i scored 3 goals, 1 assist. Must of been luck eh?

I've been tempted to try out that bladetape stuff. No harm in trying it out at least.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I tried it once, it did add a bit of spin and zip on wrist shots, puck feel was a bit odd though. I was using it on the equivalent of a One95 blade though, which already has great feel. It would probably be better on a thinner blade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad