Does sticktape colour effect your game?

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
I had to go with black last night, and I now know why I have not used it in 2 years. I CANNOT, receive a pass for the life of me with black sticktape. It is like the end of my stick does not register in my brain. Strange considering the high contrast to the white ice underneath.

Trip to sportcheck this afternoon and jumbo roll of white, I am retaping for my game on Wednesday!

Anyone else?

Yitz

May 9, 2009
I always shoot poorly when I use black tape. I don't know why.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
lmao, I just came back form a game (WON 2-1 YEEE!!!) and my friend found a roll of green tape. I used it to tape my One55 (tape and stick has the same shade of green, see? :P:P)

I normally use white tape because i want to be able to see the puck when i have it

K-PAX*

I use black because supposedly it helps disguise the puck from goalies. I really don't care either way, as long as it's waxed cloth and not friction.

Burnaby_Joe*

I can't stand black tape on my blade. I've been using white tape for years. Guess what I always get for Christmas? Black tape. :laugh:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It has a really weird feel.

Which is, of course, why some people like it.

I did switch from black to white though after a goalie mentioned in one of these threads that he can see th puck just fine with black tape, but it's harder to see the angle of the blade and thus where you're shooting with white. I don't know if it made any difference, but it looks nice anyway. I love the puckmarks on there.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't think it does. I'd be prepared to believe white hides the angle of the blade better than black hides the puck, but I don't think it's a big deal.

I used black tape for a few years and switched to white because it looks better with the colors of my sticks (at least one of them).

rhinoman11

Sep 5, 2009
Arnprior
i use camo tape because i get it for free, but i find all tape the same to me. i find though that on outdoor rinks white tape freezes and comes off really easy.

Saved*

Black tape now, using the Erik Cole tapejob. Used to switch during funks, but I'm now scoring at a ppg so it all evens out, so I stick with black.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Mario Lemieux used that heavy black friction tape, Rick Middleton used NO tape (for most of his career), Boby Orr used one stripe of black tape just past the middle, Malkin uses white tape and Crosby uses white tape.

I think I see a pattern here .... IT DOESN'T MATTER.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
I made the switch to bladetape (green colour looks sick :D )

The puck never leaves my stick when stickhandling, last night i deked 2 guys fell to my knee's spun the stick and scored with one hand, last year the puck would of got away from me with normal tape.

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
personally I like the takimak bladetape for ice, and cloth for roller.

but still Ive tried friction tape, but it just doesnt stick on my blade

IniNew

Dec 8, 2008
Keller
I made the switch to bladetape (green colour looks sick :D )

The puck never leaves my stick when stickhandling, last night i deked 2 guys fell to my knee's spun the stick and scored with one hand, last year the puck would of got away from me with normal tape.

You should have made a commercial.

Saved*

Mario Lemieux used that heavy black friction tape, Rick Middleton used NO tape (for most of his career), Boby Orr used one stripe of black tape just past the middle, Malkin uses white tape and Crosby uses white tape.

I think I see a pattern here .... IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Crosby and Malkin both primarily use black tape. They switch a lot, however.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Black tape, same reason as someone mentioned above...heard as a kid that it makes it slightly harder for the goalie to pick up. Don't think it's true, but I'm used to it now.

I've used white tape though, and there is absolutely no difference in my game at all. I'm very rarely looking down at my blade at all throughout the course of the game anyway, so I can't see one colour or another having any real impact.

cmcdmania

Mar 8, 2007
Davis, Ca
www.freewebs.com
Black tape, same reason as someone mentioned above...heard as a kid that it makes it slightly harder for the goalie to pick up. Don't think it's true, but I'm used to it now.
It might just be me, but as a goalie, I can see the puck fine, no matter what color tape is on the stick. N00b goalie though so maybe I'll grow out of this habit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad