Does sticktape colour effect your game?

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
A regular check turns into being "nailed" because the guys head was down. Whats the difference whether the guy hits him with his head up or down? You cant touch guys with there head down? The point is whether the game is "physical" or not it is dangerous to play with your head done.
Well around here beer leagues means not hitting, that doesnt mean ppl dont play the body and guys dont go down, it just means noone is going to lay someone out especially with their head down. And the difference is if people see you doin this you will prob a lot of **** for doin it either verbally of physically. Maybe in other places beer leagues play full on contact trying to constantly lay dudes out, but not around here...

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Well around here beer leagues means not hitting, that doesnt mean ppl dont play the body and guys dont go down, it just means noone is going to lay someone out especially with their head down. And the difference is if people see you doin this you will prob a lot of **** for doin it either verbally of physically. Maybe in other places beer leagues play full on contact trying to constantly lay dudes out, but not around here...

And since your league "plays the body" you think that someone who plays with there head down doesnt have a higher chance of being injured over someone who keep there head up?

Im not talking about going into the trolleys and getting Lindrosed here.

Get over "constantly trying to lay dudes out". You seem to be purposely missing the point.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
And since your league "plays the body" you think that someone who plays with there head down doesnt have a higher chance of being injured over someone who keep there head up?

Im not talking about going into the trolleys and getting Lindrosed here.

Get over "constantly trying to lay dudes out". You seem to be purposely missing the point.
S'ok you seem to purposely miss the point too, a guy whos skating into the zone, and happens to have his head down in my league shouldnt worry, because of the play of my league some moron wont be looking to LAY HIM OUT or just straight up play the body over going for the puck. People actually try and go for the puck over hitting a dude, if they happen to just run into eachother its different and not that hard at all versus LAYING A DUDE OUT. I wont get over the "trying to lady dudes out" cause if a guy has his head down and you are going to check him straight on, you are trying to lay him out. Unless its just where Im from, beer league varies from high level competitive play and there are different standards.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
S'ok you seem to purposely miss the point too, a guy whos skating into the zone, and happens to have his head down in my league shouldnt worry, because of the play of my league some moron wont be looking to LAY HIM OUT or just straight up play the body over going for the puck. People actually try and go for the puck over hitting a dude, if they happen to just run into eachother its different and not that hard at all versus LAYING A DUDE OUT. I wont get over the "trying to lady dudes out" cause if a guy has his head down and you are going to check him straight on, you are trying to lay him out. Unless its just where Im from, beer league varies from high level competitive play and there are different standards.

How can i be purposely missing my own point? that makes no sense.

Are there weak skaters in your league? could it be possible that a weaker skater could run into someone with there head down. Could it be possible that someone with there head down could run into someone else?

wow, people actually arguing that it is safe to play with your head down. Unreal

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
How can i be purposely missing my own point? that makes no sense.

Are there weak skaters in your league? could it be possible that a weaker skater could run into someone with there head down. Could it be possible that someone with there head down could run into someone else?

wow, people actually arguing that it is safe to play with your head down. Unreal
I was saying that you are missing my point there mr genius. Noones arguing that it is less safe to skate with your head down but it seems you might be a little to dense to want to understand that. People are just saying its not all that important in beer leagues because you dont have dudes coming in looking to LAY YOU OUT. You post alot, and it always seems you are just narrow minded in your posts. Try realizing that at some point in time, might make it so you constantly arent in these types of discussions on the boards.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
I get run into guys skating with their head down all the time, its usually quite funny because I see them coming full speed, I stop and brace for impact and they usually bounce off me and land on their butts. I just laugh at them and tell them to get their heads up.

and I agree with bacon, skate with your head up. I dont think guys go looking to destroy guys in beer league but 2 guys both skating with their heads down could hurt each other pretty bad.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I was saying that you are missing my point there mr genius. Noones arguing that it is less safe to skate with your head down but it seems you might be a little to dense to want to understand that. People are just saying its not all that important in beer leagues because you dont have dudes coming in looking to LAY YOU OUT. You post alot, and it always seems you are just narrow minded in your posts. Try realizing that at some point in time, might make it so you constantly arent in these types of discussions on the boards.

Get over the "lay out" bit, there are tons of ways to get hurt with your head down then being "layed out"

my god

Its ironic you are calling me narrow minded when you cant look past the "lay out" bit.

There are a lot of people who come to this board and have no experience playing hockey and making comments like it is ok to play with your head down is not something that should be encouraged.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I get run into guys skating with their head down all the time, its usually quite funny because I see them coming full speed, I stop and brace for impact and they usually bounce off me and land on their butts. I just laugh at them and tell them to get their heads up.

and I agree with bacon, skate with your head up. I dont think guys go looking to destroy guys in beer league but 2 guys both skating with their heads down could hurt each other pretty bad.

You are narrow minded. :naughty:

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
I keep using the lay out part on purpose since you seem to think thats the main point of my arguement, Im using it to spite you, but of course, you are dense and dont understand. Noone said skating with your head down cant be less safe, and I specifically am saying its not as big of an issue ESPECIALLY IN BEER LEAGUES because you dont have dudes skating at you with alot of speed to check/hit you("LAY YOU OUT" since you like it so much). If you dont understand that, I dont know what to tell you. Ya, if a guy has his head down he could potentially run into someone and fall on his butt or hit the ice, chances are, since its a beer league, he is just RUNNING into someone Vs being ran over, so the end result wouldn't be nearly as bad at all.

edit - obviously skating with your head up is a big part of being a better hockey player in just being able to see whats going on around you, but if you aren't in an extremely physical/competitive level of hockey it is not nearly as important as it is at those high levels because you wont have a dude skating full speed at you to hit you.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I keep using the lay out part on purpose since you seem to think thats the main point of my arguement, Im using it to spite you, but of course, you are dense and dont understand. Noone said skating with your head down cant be less safe, and I specifically am saying its not as big of an issue ESPECIALLY IN BEER LEAGUES because you dont have dudes skating at you with alot of speed to check/hit you("LAY YOU OUT" since you like it so much). If you dont understand that, I dont know what to tell you. Ya, if a guy has his head down he could potentially run into someone and fall on his butt or hit the ice, chances are, since its a beer league, he is just RUNNING into someone Vs being ran over, so the end result wouldn't be nearly as bad at all.

Its the only point of your argument.

Doesnt matter if you can be hurt less by running into someone over being hit. You can still be hurt over a flaw in your game play. Hockey is a fast sport, doesnt matter what level you play at.

PS not as big of an issues as what? the NHL? It is still an issue that gets people hurt.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Its the only point of your argument.

Doesnt matter if you can be hurt less by running into someone over being hit. You can still be hurt over a flaw in your game play. Hockey is a fast sport, doesnt matter what level you play at.

PS not as big of an issues as what? the NHL? It is still an issue that gets people hurt.
Its not the only point of my arguement but it seems you are intent of believing it is. Also it does matter that chances are greatly reduced from being hurt by running into someone VS being hit, the nature of being hit is much more devastating that simply running into someone which is why in beer leagues it is much less of a risk because noone is looking to hit you. Accidents can happen a million different ways in hockey everyone knows that. The whole point of this is that just because someone has their head down in a beer league doesn't make them a prime target to be injured as it would at higher, more physical level. Try and understand that. I skate with my head up majority of the time, and in my beer league I see guys that dont and that just means I can play them much easier and get the puck much easier cause they dont see what moves Im making. Ya, its COMPLETELY not as big of an issue injury wise keeping your head up as it would be at other levels, its pretty simple to understand that. Am I saying that its 100% safe to not have your head up beacuse its a beer leauge? Nope.

Done posting, Im just having to repeat myself at this point, if you dont get what Im saying then fine, no point in me trying to say anymore.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Its not the only point of my arguement but it seems you are intent of believing it is. Also it does matter that chances are greatly reduced from being hurt by running into someone VS being hit, the nature of being hit is much more devastating that simply running into someone which is why in beer leagues it is much less of a risk because noone is looking to hit you. Accidents can happen a million different ways in hockey everyone knows that. The whole point of this is that just because someone has their head down in a beer league doesn't make them a prime target to be injured as it would at higher, more physical level. Try and understand that. I skate with my head up majority of the time, and in my beer league I see guys that dont and that just means I can play them much easier and get the puck much easier cause they dont see what moves Im making. Ya, its COMPLETELY not as big of an issue injury wise keeping your head up as it would be at other levels, its pretty simple to understand that. Am I saying that its 100% safe to not have your head up beacuse its a beer leauge? Nope.

Done posting, Im just having to repeat myself at this point, if you dont get what Im saying then fine, no point in me trying to say anymore.

:facepalm:

So if you are saying its not safe, why are you arguing?

We are both now saying it is not safe. Good case closed.

K-PAX*

I play with my head down all the time. It's perfectly safe in non-checking leagues.

fong p88

Jul 24, 2006
Saskatchewan
I think for most guys who only use a certain color of tape it has more to do with superstition than anything. I was extremely superstitious when I played hockey, always listening to the same song when I got in my car even though it was 5 years old and annoying as hell when I finished playing competitive hockey, always dressed the right side first, and I always used white tape. I remember an old Hockey News where they polled NHL players but can't remember the results but I think black won by a fair margin. Players claimed it hid the puck better and players who used white said it made the stick feel lighter.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
I think if you skating through the other teams blueline with your head down and expecting not to get hit then you are putting yourself at risk. There is a difference between getting "layed out" and knocking someone off the puck. In a beerleauge if you are crossing the blueline and somebody runs you through the boards then that is a different issue and I don't think that what was what he was talking about.

However I don't think it is uncommon in a beerleauge for a d-man to stand you up at the blueline or for a backchecker to knock you off the puck as he is skating back. Those plays are much more dangerous if your head is down then if your head was up and that is usually when people get hurt.

10 ft. pole

May 19, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
What the hell is a penalty?

-beer leaguer

Seriously a penalty is if you take a cheap shot and the guys buddy or the guy himself either returns the favor or throws down. Guys in our leagues don't highstick, they don't knee, and they dont'board or charge. Maybe the NHL could learn something from the beer leagues of North America.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
I don't know how it works for those of you who have been playing since you were young, but for me, the puck is like a child. If I don't keep an eye on it, it wanders off, and I can't help but feel responsible.

Its proper to rarely look down at the puck, should almost never have too. Should be able feel the puck on your blade and control it without it ever looking at it, as one of the posters basically said. Goes along with the saying "Keep your head up!" ;)
Ask a few NHLers what happens when you look down (Eric Lindros) will have a great explanation for that.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
If you have problems controlling the puck and have to stare at it, try going to a wood blade if not a wood stick.

I use white tape. Have not used any other colour so dont really know if there are benefits or not.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
the worst thing about a guy that keeps his head down looking at the puck...

when I bust my ass to get to open ice to only watch as the dummy with his head down doesn't see me get open. whether its breaking out of the zone or going hard to the net. then when the guy with his head down realizes at the blue line that he has no option he throws you a hand grenade. thanks alot.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
the worst thing about a guy that keeps his head down looking at the puck...

when I bust my ass to get to open ice to only watch as the dummy with his head down doesn't see me get open. whether its breaking out of the zone or going hard to the net. then when the guy with his head down realizes at the blue line that he has no option he throws you a hand grenade. thanks alot.
hahah too true

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
If you have problems controlling the puck and have to stare at it, try going to a wood blade if not a wood stick.

I use white tape. Have not used any other colour so dont really know if there are benefits or not.

How will a wood stick or wood blade help with not looking down at the puck?

Are you saying that the wood blade or stick has better puck feel than a composite or something? I can tell you the cheap composites have less puck feel than wood but the "real" composites feel just good as wood. I mean JUST as good, not to mention outlast wood many times over but that is another thread entirely.

The quality top end blades are not a solid composite material and actually are filled with things like foam and ribbing texture which gives you feel and absorbs the puck energy better.

Anyhew if you are going into an area with a wood feels better comment as you need not stare at the puck forget about it because it isn't so.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
How will a wood stick or wood blade help with not looking down at the puck?

Are you saying that the wood blade or stick has better puck feel than a composite or something? I can tell you the cheap composites have less puck feel than wood but the "real" composites feel just good as wood. I mean JUST as good, not to mention outlast wood many times over but that is another thread entirely.

The quality top end blades are not a solid composite material and actually are filled with things like foam and ribbing texture which gives you feel and absorbs the puck energy better.

Anyhew if you are going into an area with a wood feels better comment as you need not stare at the puck forget about it because it isn't so.

That is what im saying. No OPS has the feel of a wood blade, none, not one, none of them.

Point is that if you can "feel" the puck more, you wont need to look down as much.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
That is what im saying. No OPS has the feel of a wood blade, none, not one, none of them.

Point is that if you can "feel" the puck more, you wont need to look down as much.

I disagree with that .... when the first composites came out I would agree with that but not now. Keep in mind if people are using mid priced stuff they are not getting the same performance as a top end blade. I have a couple of Montreal blades that are graphite and they have NO feel.

Of course I use 2 piece sticks (composite shafts and blades) and a lot of one piece sticks are really 2 piece. i've never owned a true one piece so I cannot comment but I am sure someone here will.

I can say however the 2 piece has ZERO difference between wood feel and what is felt with a composite blade. I've used wood for 35 years or so and switched in December to composites and my opinion is they are just as good feel wise as wood.

I absolutely very strongly disagree with your assessment on this issue.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad