Speculation: Does Shanahan get fired?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I did you the courtesy of taking you seriously and explaining why you're wrong, I'm done talking to a brick wall. Keep losing your shit over the fact we could have paid Marner a million less for the next five years of that's what you're into, laughable that would be a fireable offence so settle in and enjoy Dubas.
Are you happy with this team or what would you change if anything

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Dubas screwed things up when he signed Tavares. He was not needed at that time and 11 million dollars in cap space in an aging player that had not really accomplished anything of significance in his career. The wrong move at the wrong time.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It won't be management/coach change, it will be a long overdue core change if they lose
I agree that a core change is needed but I absolutely do not trust Dubas to handle that change. He is the one that built this fragile crap core.
Trading Marner might be more difficult then we think. He has a massive cap hit in a flat cap era that could last 5 years. Not every team is going to need able to fit him in thus limiting our dance partners

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Game 7 should decide everyones fate honestly. The whole "let's wait and see" is over this playoffs. I am not going to go out and defend Dubas or management or anyone else for that matter. I will say that the team as built should have by all accounts been very successful with the overwhelming talents of the main core, the speed, size and improved defense and goaltending. But regardless, this is year 5 of this group and in 5 years it is still making all of the same mistakes it made in year one. Two different coaches, a shuffling of support players, defenders and goaltending yet the same game to game problems exist and it just can't continue like this. Many changes will be needed unless they make it to the finals, but anything less is a failure.

There are 3 teams that payed their RFA stars HUGE before the team won a damn thing

Buffalo
Edmonton
Toronto

and all 3 teams in one way or the other are hilarious JOKES!!!!

I wonder if there is a pattern there.?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
When we were talking hunter vs dubas, i was fairly confident that if we went with dubas, hunter wouldn’t be hired as a gm elsewhere. I was right. Dubas imo was the right choice by shanahan.

When we were talking babcock vs someone else, i was confident that babcock likely wouldn’t get another head coaching job in the nhl. I was right and shanahan/dubas made the right choice.

At this point if dubas or shanahan were let go, they would imo 100% be snapped up in half a second by another nhl franchise. Losing these guys would imo be a huge mistake.

Let them battle through this together, I know they can get this done.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
When we were talking hunter vs dubas, i was fairly confident that if we went with dubas, hunter wouldn’t be hired as a gm elsewhere. I was right. Dubas imo was the right choice by shanahan.

When we were talking babcock vs someone else, i was confident that babcock likely wouldn’t get another head coaching job in the nhl. I was right and shanahan/dubas made the right choice.

At this point if dubas or shanahan were let go, they would imo 100% be snapped up in half a second by another nhl franchise. Losing these guys would imo be a huge mistake.

Babcock might be back coaching in the NHL when he’s done collecting his ridiculous salary to stay home paid by MLSE however

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

He also had a choice to keep Lou.

whose team is in Round 2. Again.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Babcock is getting hired again, don’t be fooled

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Get ready for the vote of confidence in this management and in this team if we lose.

no way changes are coming.

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
Jesus Christ, this old chesnut, were supposed to be losing because Dubas left us no depth...the depth players have been the ones performing! He was supposed to have left us no money for the D and revamped it to the best we've had in forever. We weren't supposed to have money for a backup goalie that backup goalie is now our starter.

Make a sincere argument if you're anti-Dubas, so sick of you guys parading around disingenuous, disproven talking points you dreamt up 3 years ago. You could not be further from a good point.

Our top players are having a bad series, there's no easy fix for that, what just trade Matthews and Marner and roll with a bad team? Seriously, contribute something if you have anything to contribute.

The GM is supposed to build a competitive team to compete for the Stanley Cup. Do you think this team as its constructed can win or even compete for a cup?? If the answer is no thats on Dubas(he is also responsible for the coach who he hired).

Part of the job is player selection and roster composition. Is this a balanced group?? Are the dollars allocated properly to get the best bang for your buck? If this is an issue that is on the GM.

This is not "having a bad series" its year after year failure. Dubas has not won a playoff series......yet. That's on Dubas.

Failure to do so here to me points out the weakness in being a metrics guy, all the weird ass stats the new generation uses to anoint players/teams as elite, which I believe Dubas leans on.

I know the head pro scout for an NHL team his job is to have him and his staff be aware predominantly of all NHL players playing on other NHL teams for trade evaluations and free agent signings. He told me some of the most important factors to him during an evaluation is a players hockey IQ (watch Mykheyev he has very little), compete level every game, toughness. They are that important to his evaluation. Do you think Dubas values those qualities or just achieve puck possession of 55%??

Reactions: egd27

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
There are 3 teams that payed their RFA stars HUGE before the team won a damn thing

Buffalo
Edmonton
Toronto

and all 3 teams in one way or the other are hilarious JOKES!!!!

I wonder if there is a pattern there.?
I have to agree

Reactions: 67leafs

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The team is definitely in a better place now compared to when he took over.

Obviously we haven't reached our goals but I'm still happier with a franchise that regularly makes the playoffs than one that doesn't, which we we had been since the cap was implemented.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Doesn't bother me about Shanahan. Just make sure you fire Dubas. If you want to fire others to take some blame away from Kyle and put it on them, so be it. But just get Dubas and his fanboys away from the club.

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Let Dubas be picked up. It'd be funny to be able to laugh at another team.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Cap flexibility would always be nice but in reality this current roster isn't hurting because of cap problems. Our top players have no showed. That sucks but it's unrelated because as of right now the struggles are not on the shoulders of the depth players, it they were then it would be relevant.
You realize this isn't the final season for the Leafs right? And that the cap problems caused by Dubas will continue. From what I hear, the ridiculous overpay for Foligno was driven by the fact that we had no cap space left, although we should have passed regardless because he's not that good and he's injured.

Spezza won't continue to keep playing for free forever. I hope we have more guys who can finish 3rd on the team in P60 who will agree to play for league minimum lined up.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Jesus Christ, this old chesnut, were supposed to be losing because Dubas left us no depth...the depth players have been the ones performing! He was supposed to have left us no money for the D and revamped it to the best we've had in forever. We weren't supposed to have money for a backup goalie that backup goalie is now our starter.

Make a sincere argument if you're anti-Dubas, so sick of you guys parading around disingenuous, disproven talking points you dreamt up 3 years ago. You could not be further from a good point.

Our top players are having a bad series, there's no easy fix for that, what just trade Matthews and Marner and roll with a bad team? Seriously, contribute something if you have anything to contribute.
I agree with you, but I’m to the point now there I start looking at the “core” jt and auston aren’t going anywhere unless they demand it, Willy is good value... so here’s looking at you Mitchy boy.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Dubas and Pridham our cap expert are probably sharpening their pencils trying to figure out who our fourth line is gonna be for next season. You know the over the hill washed out players making league minimum.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Three more seasons then Matthews says adios and heads to Vegas / LA / San Jose, depending on their situations at the time, and Nylander takes off for New York or Boston.

Then it's back to 2010.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Does Shanahan really do anything that you could fire him from? Or do we really mean stop sending the suit a paycheck?

I would really like to know his day to day responsibilities.

in my tiny brain all I can think of is he hires a GM and then does what?

Reactions: socko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad