Speculation: Does Shanahan get fired?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think Shanahan and Dubas should stay. Dubas put the team in a position to win.

I like Keefe as well, but he has made many questionable decisions throughout this series that have led to an unnecessary game 7.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You all know the saying "Sports is a results oriented business" and so what are the results of the Shanaplan?

Lets break those expectations down into 2 categories;

1) Successes: (list those here)

&

Failures :

Reactions: rumman

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I agree with you, but I’m to the point now there I start looking at the “core” jt and auston aren’t going anywhere unless they demand it, Willy is good value... so here’s looking at you Mitchy boy.

Yeah it's about time to ask some hard questions but defaulting to this cap hit obsession is just lazy. Cap space wouldn't be scoring goals for us, cap space isn't hurting the team right now considering depth contributions. Will it hurt going forward? Maybe but that's been predicted for seasons and hasn't come to fruition.

Right now important players aren't performing but the usual suspects are defaulting to thoughtless critique. If they flame out in game 7 which seems likely or even if they advance and lose to Winnipeg this season will be a massive disappointment and big changes should be considered.

Reactions: Menzinger

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
The team is definitely in a better place now compared to when he took over.

Obviously we haven't reached our goals but I'm still happier with a franchise that regularly makes the playoffs than one that doesn't, which we we had been since the cap was implemented.
Didn't make the playoffs last year. Lost in the "playoff eliminator" series.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Shannaplan hasn't worked, if they want to win changes are in order starting with the President. win or lose tomorrow..........

Reactions: egd27

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah it's about time to ask some hard questions but defaulting to this cap hit obsession is just lazy. Cap space wouldn't be scoring goals for us, cap space isn't hurting the team right now considering depth contributions. Will it hurt going forward? Maybe but that's been predicted for seasons and hasn't come to fruition.

Right now important players aren't performing but the usual suspects are defaulting to thoughtless critique. If they flame out in game 7 which seems likely or even if they advance and lose to Winnipeg this season will be a massive disappointment and big changes should be considered.

Good post. It's the problem of writing obituaries too soon. There's still potentially a lot of hockey left to play.

There's a lot of legit criticisms to be thrown at certain players/coaches and management. That said, a big win on Monday and even a good series against Winnipeg and these critiques will lose a lot of relevancy.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
I think the focus should be on the coach. Look Matthews and Marner have to take their play to a higher level in the playoffs and both consistently haven't done that. The leafs need a coach that kicks butt. Torts would be the guy I would bring in. He will light a fire under Matthews and Marner. He is tough on the players, pushes them and holds them accountable. Star players rise to the challenge and conquor, Matthews and Mariner seems to fade when the challenge is great in front of them. Both talk alot about meeting the challenge. They need to go out there and conquor it. If they don't do that, the leafs will never win the big one.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

They wouldn’t be holding the cap space. If Marner and matthews were actually paid what they are worth from a contribution to success in the playoffs there would be some money left to have upgraded in net.
They could have had better players then Thornton, Simmonds, and most of the 3rd line. engvall and Mikheyev are awful
Wasting money on under performing playoff players absolutely affects the ability to ice the best team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->