Speculation: Does Seider wear an 'A' next season?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You don't want me to elaborate?

The point.

Unicorn-from-he-history-of-four-footed-beasts-and-serpents-by-Edward-Topsell-1658.jpg

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Just the third Red Wing defender in history to tally 50 points in his rookie season. Who else on the team has an accomplishment like that?

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Skill. Ability. Personality.

Seider has leader written all over him. It's not jusr that he's so good. His personality is that of a leader to a T. I can't say the same about Larkin.
Did Larkin bang your favorite babysitter or something?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Didn't Shakespeare write something about this scenario?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Think they wait a year, and roll with Staal/Bertuzzi, and phase one or both out next year allowing a natural path for Seider.

He's being groomed for the role already. Takes a lot of interviews, well spoken, mature, talented. 2-3 years he'll almost certainly have an A.

Just not sure about next year. If it did happen though, it's not gonna drop my jaw either.

Last edited:

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Bertuzzi I'm sure won't get one on account of the anti-vaxx stuff, but in an alternate COVID free world I bet he'd already have one.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Skill. Ability. Personality.

Seider has leader written all over him. It's not jusr that he's so good. His personality is that of a leader to a T. I can't say the same about Larkin.
The captain doesn't have to be the most skilled player on the team.

I think Seider had a fantastic first season but I'm not sure what he's done that has "leader" written all over him more than Larkin. Larkin had a great season, is ultra competitive, and handled the post game press conferences like a pro as he had to talk about yet another loss.

I've been following Seider for a long time. In particular, there was a user here who stated "the Wings will be taking Seider 6th overall" before the draft on the rumors board. I fell for it, and started following Seider at that point, and realized quickly he was the best Dman in that draft. I was maybe one of the few ppl who wasn't surprised when Yzerman selected him. I promise I'm not blowing smoke here.

Seider has always been praised for his veteran attitude and personality. He learns extremely quickly and operates like a man much older than he is, but is still enjoyable to be around. The first concrete evidence I got of this was his draft day interview. Anyone with instincts could tell the kid was on another level. Then you have all his media appearances post game, in practice, Joe and Moe show etc. Its quite obvious he has a take charge personality and also a fun loving personality. This is like the holy grail in sports psychology. He has the will and temperament to lead, but also the ability defuse tension and keep things light naturally.

I'm not saying Larkin is a bad captain. I'm saying Seider is a unicorn and should be Captain.
I would argue that the previous three Wings captains didn't particularly have a "fun loving" personality. Take charge, yes. Lead by example, definitely.

The Wings have a good captain. I don't know why they'd be looking to anoint another one.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He's ready, and it's pretty clear he's ready. I still think next off-season will be a bigger springboard for this team than this off-season, but I also think it's time to start cementing an identity for this team. Seider having a letter isn't just a cool thing for fans of Seider, it's also important for the team. I think there's a strong chance he gets that A this off-season, but if not he should absolutely get it next off-season.

DDK is gone. Staal and Gagner are both question marks. If both come back I can see a scenario where Mo waits another year. If not, you give Mo that A in a few months and you don't look back.

They might slap it on Erne instead though.
maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 14ari13 and Realgud

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
In a total vacuum, I would choose Seider over Larkin as my captain. And I'm a Wolverine. However, context here is critical, and so the idea of making Seider the captain is 100% a non-starter. The gap in "captain-ability" likely isn't very big at all, Larkin is a perfectly fine captain, he's older with more experience, he's been through a longer stretch of the tough times, he's already the captain, and making a drastic change like that would certainly cause more problems than it would solve, which I think would likely be none.

Guys wearing A's are generally well-respected. Seider's influence from a leadership perspective will not be curbed by wearing "only" an A.

USMarine

May 4, 2022
Mississippi
www.letsgowings.com
Bertuzzi I'm sure won't get one on account of the anti-vaxx stuff, but in an alternate COVID free world I bet he'd already have one.
I doubt SY actually cares about the Vax stuff
The captain doesn't have to be the most skilled player on the team.

I think Seider had a fantastic first season but I'm not sure what he's done that has "leader" written all over him more than Larkin. Larkin had a great season, is ultra competitive, and handled the post game press conferences like a pro as he had to talk about yet another loss.

I would argue that the previous three Wings captains didn't particularly have a "fun loving" personality. Take charge, yes. Lead by example, definitely.

The Wings have a good captain. I don't know why they'd be looking to anoint another one.
Seider has buckets of Charisma and is the best player on this team by a long shot. Larkin is about one year removed from his childish stick slamming and has the charisma of a stump. Mo was born and bred to be an NHL captain.

Reactions: WF19

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Pretty sure Yzerman is going to reward him with his play this season. He was his pick, he decided to pencil him in the lineup and not risk the prospect tournament and yes they way he interviews and what not. Not only did Seider impressive him enough to use his first pick on but he would of also interviewed Seider at some point. He acts and plays like a vet. 21 years old and the kid is a f***ing Legend. Someone summed it up the best in a previous post calling him a Unicorn, pretty accurate actually. I've been a Wings fan my entire life and i've always had a favorite player. First it was Yzerman, when that ended it was Dats now in this era i had no favorites since Dats left. I mean i liked Zetterberg i like Larkin and Bertuzzi hell i even liked Howard but now...absolute man crush on Seider love watching him play love watching his interviews, even the MoJo show is entertaining just the way he carries himself. Even with his number, lots of guys are i like this number i've played with it my whole life, or superstitious or buy the number off another guy. Seider was because he saw it on Herbie the bug lol. This guy has been labelled as an underdog since he was drafted and no matter what he still doesn't get enough praise especially when people are still saying he's only 1D because its the Wings. Guy wins everything SHL dman of the year, he is gonna win the Calder and he probably comes away with best defenseman at the Worlds. Impressive start against Canada of all teams. Long story short the guy is a born winner Yzerman knows that, think he's gonna say to himself he's not ready for an A yet. That's crazy talk, he has exceeded or blown away expectations every year since his draft year. Yzerman after drafting him- "if you haven't heard of or seen this kid play you should"

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I would say no. Give him a couple more years just to focus on his game without the pressure of feeling he has to be a leader on a bad team.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's early to give Seider an A. I'd be very hesitant to give any player a letter in their first 3 years in the league. Regardless of how good or impactful they are on the ice. In those years they are often times still adjusting to being adults in the world on their own, sometimes adjusting to a new country/language, and adjusting to the toughest hockey league in the world. No sense in piling on 'leadership' responsibilities at the same time.

And if the player in question is 'a natural born leader' the A (or C) doesn't really matter.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
22/23 years old is not necessarily too young to wear a letter. That's been proven countless times in the NHL. Seider is very advanced, not just his game, but the way he carries himself. He'll handle wearing an A with no problem, not even on another junk team.

Reactions: 14ari13 and WF19

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad