Speculation: Does Sanderson overtake EK65?

Does Sanderson overtake EK65 in stats?

• Yes

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 29 28.2%

• Total voters

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This, and it won't be close.

I said it last night, Sanderson>Karlsson on their second seasons.

Sanderson spent 2 years at North Dakota, while Karlsson was in the NHL 2 seasons after being drafted, so that's not exactly a fair comparison.

Karlsson won the Norris in his 21YR old season, so unless Sanderson is about to do that he's not on the same level yet.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He already has. Who is Karlsson? Some dude for played for the Ottawa senators a while back? Who cares

Lol.gif

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I answered on the assumption that the question is "stats as a Senator".

Not sure in terms of P/GP, but I think overall stats (as a Sen) Sandy will take him

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
During preseason I noticed Sanderson doing things with the puck that I haven’t seen here since Karlsson, and that’s keeping Chabot in mind. But I didn’t want to make too much of it, because it was preseason, I’m almost ready to make too much of it now though.

I don’t think he’s as dynamic as Karlsson offensively, but I think he could be more valuable to a winning team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not likely.

When people ask who the best D in an era was, EK is the answer that will most likely be given for the 2010’s.

You’ve got a guy like Lidstrom in the 2000’s, guys like Chelios, Bourque and Coffey in the 80’s and 90’s, Orr and Potvin in the 70’s.

Sanderson is absolutely unbelievable, but to get to an era leader type guy, will be a lotttttttt of work.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Just a silly post TBH! The answer is obvious NO

Have we forgotten who EK65 was when he was in his prime?

Reverse the roles and imagine we were seeing a 21 year old Norris winning Karlsson right now? Everyone would be like "OMG KARLSSON IS 100X BETTER THAN SANDERSON EVER WAS"

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
He already has. Who is Karlsson? Some dude for played for the Ottawa senators a while back? Who cares
Don't forget that he agreed to a trade so the Sens could get Norris and Stützle and save Pierre Dorion's career. All hail King Karlsson!

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sanderson will never reach EK’s offensive game but he’s already better defensively than EK. One thing about EK is that he elevates in big moments, let’s hope Sanderson has that in him also.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Lots of short memories going around here.

EK65 hit uncontested 3rd best player in the league for a short period of time.

His offence was also relative to a lower scoring era. His defence was over criticized because when he was on the ice you didn’t have to defend most of the time and that’s the best defence.

His 9 years here were “Legendary” and he is the most talented player to put on the jersey. His number will be retired.

Now don’t get me wrong Sanderson can’t be written off we don’t know where his offence will fall compared to his peers and he is clearly a step ahead of EK defensively. Super stoked we have him for another 8.9 seasons

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Thankfully they are (or were) both Senator players. They are different kinds of defenders. Sanderson is the more rounded guy, while Karlsson was the offensive dynamo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think he'll ever overtake him in "stats".

But he may end up as the better all-around defenceman.
+/- is a stat... not a good one, but one he may overtake Ek in (technically, I think he already has even on a per game basis)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Karlsson carried some poorly constructed rosters into the playoffs.

We realize now how hard it is to make it and to excel in it but man did he do it for us

It's extremely hard to be that type of player. I have only seen a few players in the league in my lifetime who has that ability.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Karlsson carried some poorly constructed rosters into the playoffs.

We realize now how hard it is to make it and to excel in it but man did he do it for us

It's extremely hard to be that type of player. I have only seen a few players in the league in my lifetime who has that ability.
He was one of a kind. Certainly unequalled in my lifetime, but I didn't watch Bobby Orr or 80's Paul Coffey.

But ya, definitely not a level playing field given the handicapped budget squads he played with. Sanderson is already playing on a better team than Karlsson ever had.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I was listening to Overdrive yesterday and O-Dog said Sanderson should be nominated for the Norris this year, that he is a great defenseman. Compared it to the year Fox won. Pleasantly surprised that this even came up as a topic.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Overtaking him in stats? No. Ending up being a better all around defenceman? Maybe. But EK65 has 3 Norris trophies, not too many guys in the history of the league have accomplished that
Norris voters are more easily impressed with big offensive numbers. Not so much on defensive prowess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad