Speculation: Does Sanderson overtake EK65?

Does Sanderson overtake EK65 in stats?

• Yes

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 29 28.2%

• Total voters

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
No, he is more Scott Niedermayer than Erik Karlsson, but he does display the video game skating of a young pre-Cooke Karlsson. Sanderson’s defensive coverage is exceptional.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think Sanderson has the potential to win a Norris and be one of the premiere elite all-around dmen of this generation, and maybe even be considered the best defensively of his generation. But Karlsson was a once in a generation kind of player that consistently dragged the team further than they had any business being.

So I'm going to go with "no" because I feel like Karlsson is perhaps one of the top 10 or top 5 most talented defensemen we've ever seen in the NHL. Luckily Sanderson doesn't have to be as good to be a legend in his own right.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think Norris has the potential to win a Norris and be one of the premiere elite all-around dmen of this generation, and maybe even be considered the best defensively of his generation. But Karlsson was a once in a generation kind of player that consistently dragged the team further than they had any business being.

So I'm going to go with "no" because I feel like Karlsson is perhaps one of the top 10 or top 5 most talented defensemen we've ever seen in the NHL. Luckily Sanderson doesn't have to be as good to be a legend in his own right.
Norris just came back, talk about throwing him into the deep end by playing him on D

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I said yes but that’s because I took it as Stats as a Sen, not career

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Not in stats, but maybe in overall impact considering how Sandy defends so well.

Sandy is waaaay better than Owen Power at this point in their careers

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Imagining a prime Karlsson pre-Cooke with this line-up is too depressing to contemplate.
Yes, I'm so thankful that they're actually putting a proper team around Sanderson. That's the really sad thing about Karlsson, they had him signed to an absolute steal of a contract, and they put terrible teams around him during his prime in Ottawa. He never had anything close to the support Sanderson had, and that's just criminal. Eugene wasted the prime one of the greatest players in the history of the game with his cheapness.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He still isn't worth 8x8, it was a bad signing. Karlsson only signed for 6.5M, and he had great hair.

edit: 8.05

He still isn't worth 8x8, it was a bad signing. Karlsson only signed for 6.5M, and he had great hair.

Sorry guys.

Now if any main boarders see this thread, they will turn around because someone already stole their take.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone

Sorry guys.

Now if any main boarders see this thread, they will turn around because someone already stole their take.
Thats-bait1.png

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yes, I'm so thankful that they're actually putting a proper team around Sanderson. That's the really sad thing about Karlsson, they had him signed to an absolute steal of a contract, and they put terrible teams around him during his prime in Ottawa. He never had anything close to the support Sanderson had, and that's just criminal. Eugene wasted the prime one of the greatest players in the history of the game with his cheapness.

Damn son he was already getting depressed! Go easy on him.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Karlsson is a weird player who has two of the most productive defenseman seasons of all time (relative to league scoring) while playing with nobody.

His supporting cast for his previous big season had pre-breakout Zibanejad, post-Gumby Turris, post-sports hernia Ryan, Zack Smith, JGP, Curtis Lazar, and Alex Chiasson. Those first few names had their bright points, but if you look at our current lineup we probably have at least 5-6 forwards better than anybody on that list was that season. The only two true weapons he had that season were Stone and Hoffman.

Then last year, it isn't as if San Jose had a strong team offensively.

I think it is possible that Sanderson exceeds Karlsson, but we shouldn't talk like it's such an easy thing to do. Karlsson at his peak offensively is in the conversation for best non-Bobby Orr OFD in league history given that he finished top 5 in league scoring and 1st in assists.

The more enticing question is, by the end of the year does Sanderson overtake Stutzle as the most valuable player from the 2020 draft...

Reactions: guyzeur

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Overtaking him in stats? No. Ending up being a better all around defenceman? Maybe. But EK65 has 3 Norris trophies, not too many guys in the history of the league have accomplished that

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Simply put it this way,
Put a 21yr old karlsson in this team right now.
He would do damage. Would he be as defensively sound? Idk questionable. But the points he would rack up with Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris, Giroux, Batherson, Tarasenko, Chabot, Chychrun would be insane.

Of course, defensively he would be sheltered. He’d be a power play point per game player

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00