Does Rodin get another chance ?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Nuooooo... so basically he's a guy that could just sign up for Vegas or any other NHL/KHL team and wouldn't even qualify for a spot on our roster to be exposed?

He is going to be exposed regardless but Vegas isn't likely to pick him up over someone under contract/RFA (namely Sbisa/Gaunce or even Pedan).

He can sign with any NHL/KHL team (but he could've signed in SHL/KHL regardless since he didn't have a NHL contract, he left once already after his NHL contract ended while being a RFA).

Even if he was a RFA... question is would you give him a qualifying offer (to keep his RFA status)? Remember we did sign him in good faith last year when he was still hurt and that failed. Would it be a good idea to do it again or wait till he can pass a physical?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I would hope so. He showed real potential in preseason before he was shut down. I don't see any reason the team wouldn't want to bring him back as we are not deep on the wings and the team needs some young talent. Question is if he will want to come back to the NHL or if he'll opt to go back to Sweden.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if his leg hasn't responded to rehab and treatment after a year, and there has been no corrective surgery, it seems like a pretty huge reach to sign him. what comfort can you have that another 6 months of rehab will do the job? it's a pretty difficult situation to be sure of on outcome when the actual surgery went well but it aggravated an unrelated congenital defect.

the canucks can't offer him an incentive based contract under the cba, so they will pretty much have to offer him a two way deal and start him in utica to protect themselves.

if someone in the khl is willing to guarantee him at least one year of full salary, he might be smart to take it even if it is less than he would get here if he made the canucks.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
if his leg hasn't responded to rehab and treatment after a year, and there has been no corrective surgery, it seems like a pretty huge reach to sign him. what comfort can you have that another 6 months of rehab will do the job? it's a pretty difficult situation to be sure of on outcome when the actual surgery went well but it aggravated an unrelated congenital defect.

the canucks can't offer him an incentive based contract under the cba, so they will pretty much have to offer him a two way deal and start him in utica to protect themselves.

if someone in the khl is willing to guarantee him at least one year of full salary, he might be smart to take it even if it is less than he would get here if he made the canucks.

Did you miss that Rodin went under the knife in early February to try and get things to where they need to be? So it's not just another six months of rehab.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
i did indeed miss that. in that case, sign him!

Better wait till Aug... remember last year we signed him in good faith then found out there were complications in July (which is now the "reason" for the Feb surgery). Basically lets wait till he's 100%... could agree on a contract in good faith if he passes physical but signing him again without a physical would be a risk/likely waste of money (which in the case of 'nucks, could slowly become an issue given season renew rates continue to drop).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Better wait till Aug... remember last year we signed him in good faith then found out there were complications in July (which is now the "reason" for the Feb surgery). Basically lets wait till he's 100%... could agree on a contract in good faith if he passes physical but signing him again without a physical would be a risk/likely waste of money (which in the case of 'nucks, could slowly become an issue given season renew rates continue to drop).

we signed him early last year because half the khl was after him.

we'll be playing chicken with the khl again.

this time we have direct access to the physicians who treated him, and can observe his rehab process. it may come down to a medical opinion.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I'm not sure why Rodin would consider returning to the Canucks after how badly the medical staff has bungled his health issues this season. If he can demonstrate he's healthy by the summer, he'll definitely get paid going the KHL route.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I'm not sure why Rodin would consider returning to the Canucks after how badly the medical staff has bungled his health issues this season. If he can demonstrate he's healthy by the summer, he'll definitely get paid going the KHL route.

the corrective surgery he had in february has a 6 month recovery time. it corrected a congenital defect exposed by surgery performed in finland.

under what scenario did the canucks' medical staff bungle anything? what possible different outcome might have resulted here?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
the corrective surgery he had in february has a 6 month recovery time. it corrected a congenital defect exposed by surgery performed in finland.

under what scenario did the canucks' medical staff bungle anything? what possible different outcome might have resulted here?
Clearing him to play when he wasn't ready?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Clearing him to play when he wasn't ready?

are you saying the complications from the congenital issues with the knee were known or foreseeable before the preseason games rodin played, and that he aggravated the problem by playing preseason games in a way that could have been avoided if he had taken more time to rehab?

because that's a theory i guess but what a reach to get there.

criticizing canucks' management on hockey decisions they make is something people feel qualified do here by reason of being canuck fans with hockey expertise themselves.

but you are drawing completely unsupported negative inferences against one or more surgeons who evaluated a patient after major surgery where the patient's professional livelihood was in issue.

this is not a medical forum where we talk on an informed basis about surgery outcomes. you have zero professed medical expertise, amateur or otherwise to offer. how can you possibly have an honest informed belief that there is any truth to what you say?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
are you saying the complications from the congenital issues with the knee were known or foreseeable before the preseason games rodin played, and that he aggravated the problem by playing preseason games in a way that could have been avoided if he had taken more time to rehab?

because that's a theory i guess but what a reach to get there.

criticizing canucks' management on hockey decisions they make is something people feel qualified do here by reason of being canuck fans with hockey expertise themselves.

but you are drawing completely unsupported negative inferences against one or more surgeons who evaluated a patient after major surgery where the patient's professional livelihood was in issue.

this is not a medical forum where we talk on an informed basis about surgery outcomes. you have zero professed medical expertise, amateur or otherwise to offer. how can you possibly have an honest informed belief that there is any truth to what you say?
I'm not a doctor and I didn't claim to be one at any point, so you can drop the faux-indignation. My question is pretty simple, when Rodin played the handful of games he got to play this season, was he actually 100% healthy?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I'm not a doctor and I didn't claim to be one at any point, so you can drop the faux-indignation. My question is pretty simple, when Rodin played the handful of games he got to play this season, was he actually 100% healthy?

you didn't ask a question. you stated as a fact that the canucks medical staff badly bungled his health issues and you suggested rodin would be justified in signing elsewhere given that bungling.

so my "faux indignation" was in response to your fake news. i guess we're even.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Really hope the parties decide to get together to bring him back next year. He was a bright light at training camp and still, IMO, has NHL potential as a middle 6F. However, I suspect either the team may decide to move on after a frustrating year+ and the acquisitions of Goldobin and Dahlen, imminent addition of Boeser, the emergence of Granlund as a scorer, or Rodin may decide that a fresh start with a different NHL team better serves his career.
Through no fault of his own, Rodin has slipped down the depth chart.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd give Rodin another look.....wouldn't he likely be an improvement over waiver wire pickups like Boucher, Cramarossa, Shore or PTO's like Skille?

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
at this point in time, would you not say Rodin is a better player than

Boucher, Virtanen, Goldobin. and perhaps even Granlund

With that in mind, there is definitively a roster spot for him next season.

I think the issue could be those small nagging injuries, the ones where you can't put him on LTIR. where you have to constantly scratch him, taking up a roster spot and taking a caphit for what is an inactive player

Could you imagine a Granlund - Hischier - Rodin line :blush:

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

No, I wouldn't say that at all.

A guy with a bum knee and who can't play isn't better than guys who can play.

At best, he's an unknown quantity.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta

I wouldn't. Every player minus Virtanen has posted better numbers than Rodin in North America and I would wager Virtanen by the time he's 26 like Rodin will also as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad