Does Rodin get another chance ?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I hope he does although i'm starting to wonder where he'll play. I don't think he'll be successful on the 4th line. If we sign Boeser, then i'm not sure there's a spot in the top 3 lines for him. I mean we already have wingers in: Sedin/Erikkson + Bae/Goldobin + Granlund/Boeser.

Still i hope we resign him because we really lack any offensive threat @ the AHL level so we need depth and someone's bound to get hurt during the year (reason i would rather have a skill 4th line vs an energy line... if injuries happen, we'll end up with an energy line anyways because that's more or less all we can call up).

It is quite possible he outplays Goldobin and possibly Boeser, both of whom are waivers exempt. The is also 13th forward, a better role for someone his age than at 21yo that needs development.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
We saw him in Utica when the leg was supposedly better and he was lights out in both ends of the rink. By far the best player the Canucks ever put on the ice in the Aud. If he can come back to that level he should be signed without a doubt. This new surgery supposedly fixed something that had been created by an abnormality in his knee. If that fixed it, go Rodin go.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
With the number of injuries we've had this year, the "scoring uncertainty" amongst our forwards and even just the general uncertainty surrounding our club, I'd absolutely give him another chance if he's willing to come back

We don't really have quality at this point so we should try to have some quantity ~ as many irons in the fire as possible in the hope of maybe getting lucky & finding someone who can contribute (even if in a limited sense and/or for a short period of time)... Rodin has talent and is worth another gamble

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
We saw him in Utica when the leg was supposedly better and he was lights out in both ends of the rink. By far the best player the Canucks ever put on the ice in the Aud. If he can come back to that level he should be signed without a doubt. This new surgery supposedly fixed something that had been created by an abnormality in his knee. If that fixed it, go Rodin go.

Yup, this combined with his preseason play he absolutely deserves another chance.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
He'll be 27 next season

When Switzerland or KHL comes calling in the summer and offers a more significant multi-year contract. I could see him leaving.

Wish he would at least try Training Camp again next season.

But by then the KHL and NLA season will already be underway, and the roster spots would've already been filled.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
His knee will never be 100% again and he's likely going to retire// head back to Sweden by this time next year but sure, why not. Not my money being wasted.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'd give him a shot if he's willing. Clearly there's talent there. He'll likely get better, more stable offers in Europe though.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think at this point he would have to pass a physical for a contract.

With a positive result I would in a heart beat give him a shot. Could be a nice buffer for Goldobin Boeser and probably a good fit for the twins

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
His knee will never be 100% again and he's likely going to retire// head back to Sweden by this time next year but sure, why not. Not my money being wasted.

I've got severe, chronic pain in my left shoulder. I think it's the rotator cuff. Can you diagnose that too?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
He'll be 27 next season

When Switzerland or KHL comes calling in the summer and offers a more significant multi-year contract. I could see him leaving.

Wish he would at least try Training Camp again next season.

But by then the KHL and NLA season will already be underway, and the roster spots would've already been filled.

No one will offer him a multi-year deal... rather its KHL or NHL. Someone coming off major surgery and basically missed 20 months (based on his original injury/start of next year) due to the injury isn't someone you offer more than a 1 year "prove it" deal (even if its just prove he's healthy).

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I think the decision should depend more on the opinion of the physicians treating him than the opinions of the hockey guys.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I think the decision should depend more on the opinion of the physicians treating him than the opinions of the hockey guys.

Right now the timeline is he should be ready by Aug, which should mean he'll be ready for training camp (if we sign him). I guess one question is do we wait till Aug and assume no one else will sign him or just trust he'll recover in good faith (like last year). Reports last year were there were complications that was found during the summer (July) and that cause inflammation. The surgery last month is suppose to fix this.

A season-ending knee tendon laceration in practice last January required surgery, but the Canucks discovered in July consultations with Rodin that the post-operation prognosis was much more complicated.

The procedure to repair the quadriceps tendon changed the mechanics of Rodin’s knee and caused inflammation of the joint. Rodin’s kneecap also has two bones instead of the normal one, and because they haven’t fused, it created stress in the joint and the inflammation of bones.

I would agree with waiting till closer to Aug to sign him since i doubt any NHL team will be in a hurry. Rodin likely wants to play in the NHL so we could make a good faith offer (as in sign him if he passes a physical/medical exam).

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
My guess is he gets picked by Las Vegas in the expansion draft. Good gamble by knights pardon the pun

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
No reason not to. Not like we have 8 better wingers than him. As much as we all love Dahlen right now Rodin has done what he has at a much higher level. Would be extremely foolish/expected to see him walk now.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
A team as starved for talent as the Canucks should absolutely look into giving him another try – he looked lights out in preseason and in the AHL, after all, and it's a lot better for your resources when the asset is already there instead of having to go out and pay a price for it.

That said, I would be utterly floored if he's back. It's not anybody's fault, but I can imagine he hasn't had the best experience. Although it absolutely becomes the Canucks' fault if they choose not to consider him on the weird, Internet-forum-like logic* of "we've already tried that once". I expect he'll return to Europe unless the salary differential is through the roof.

*I'm referring here to the inane reaction when the Canucks were looking at guys like Schaefer and Morrison for a second go-round, and the most common reason not to was the utterly irrelevant "They're retreads!" and "We've tried that already!" as though players are keys to the car at the end of Hollywood Squares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad