Does Pittsburgh have enough two way forwards to win the Cup?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Looking at recent Cup winners, elite two way forwards seems to be a consistent ingredient. Crosby, Malkin, Kessel are elite offensively but I don't notice that Patrice Bergeron/Anze Kopitar (even going. all the way back to 09 Pittsburgh had Jordan Staal, and scoring is less than it was back then).

Is the trend of Cup winners being lead by two way forwards a coincidence or possible trouble for Pittsburgh (who many consider the early favorites to win it all next year right now)?

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
I don't think it's a matter of playing style. It's about their depth, or rather the lack thereof. Kessel is a sick addition but Pittsburgh still has one of the worst bottom 6 forward lineups in the entire league, or at least they did last year. That bottom 6 was buffalo bad.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Defense is a legitimate concern on that current, early Penguins roster, at least on paper...both in forwards and actual defensemen right now.

I can't see them taking a Cup this year. But I've been wrong before.

Whatever you do, don't give them a powerplay.

I'm not a big fan of the Pens, but I'd enjoy watching Kessel hoist a Cup.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I really don't think the Kessel acquisition will "put them over the top" so to speak.

I think they'll be good but their D and GK will have to keep up with that offense.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
They don't have any defensive studs but only Perron and Kessel are big concerns defensively.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I don't think it's a matter of playing style. It's about their depth, or rather the lack thereof. Kessel is a sick addition but Pittsburgh still has one of the worst bottom 6 forward lineups in the entire league, or at least they did last year. That bottom 6 was buffalo bad.

We actually have 3 great lines, that of course is if they can stay healthy.

JR needs to add another player or two off UFA, all depends who he goes after but some players still on the market can do the job

Health is the biggest problem for the Pens

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I really don't think the Kessel acquisition will "put them over the top" so to speak.

I think they'll be good but their D and GK will have to keep up with that offense.

The defense will have to stay healthy, Fleury if he plays the way he played last year were in good shape. He had a great season and gave the Pens a chance to win against the Rags in the playoffs. By far our best player last season.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Looking at recent Cup winners, elite two way forwards seems to be a consistent ingredient. Crosby, Malkin, Kessel are elite offensively but I don't notice that Patrice Bergeron/Anze Kopitar (even going. all the way back to 09 Pittsburgh had Jordan Staal, and scoring is less than it was back then).

Is the trend of Cup winners being lead by two way forwards a coincidence or possible trouble for Pittsburgh (who many consider the early favorites to win it all next year right now)?

From what I've been told by Hawks fans is that if the Pens just replaced Crosby and Malkin with Toews and Kane, the Pens would have won every cup until they retired.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
From what I've been told by Hawks fans is that if the Pens just replaced Crosby and Malkin with Toews and Kane, the Pens would have won every cup until they retired.

toews and kane are just flat out better. No ifs ands or buts about it. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Pittsburgh's problems have been a lack of depth up front (and Fleury, at times), not a lack of two-way forwards.

What is this now, two or three Kessel threads you've made since the trade? I smell an obsession.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Two-way forwards seem to be cheaper than top offensive talent, which in turn may allow the team to surround them with more depth, which is really the most important factor nowadays.

Season before last, Crosby and Toews had identical GA/60 at ES. And you'd be hard pressed to argue that Crosby had better linemates. Yet one is regarded as merely average defensively while the other is supposedly the most complete player in the world.

If the Penguins can hem in the opposition in their zone for long periods of time, they're effectively playing defense.

The common factor between all the recent cup winners isn't just a two-way center, it's having great depth across four lines to compliment a number of elite players.

Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Sharp
Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter
Bergeron, Chara, Krecji, Thomas
Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
I tend to agree. If they were to trade maybe Malkin or Crosby + for a guy like Jonathan Toews, their chances at a cup would sky rocket.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Pittsburgh offers Malkin+Crosby for a slice of Chicago's intangibles.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I don't agree with this. It's definitely not their strength, but they won't lose in the playoffs because of their bottom 6. Their forward group is top 5 in the league IMO. The reason they won't win a cup is because their defense is horrible. Very little depth, and one injury will sink them.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
They had a superior bottom 6 when they won the cup but they also relied on Crosby/Malkin heavily to carry the offensive load. Crosby, Malkin and Guerin were the only guys to register 15+ points, compare that to:

2015 Hawks (5 players)
2014 Kings (5 players)
2013 Hawks (4 players)
2012 Kings (5 players)
2011 Bruins (5 players)
2010 Hawks (7 players)
2008 Wings (4 players)
2007 Ducks (4 players)
2006 Canes (4 players)

So from the looks of things you need at least 4 and more likely 5 players capable of scoring 15+ points to win the cup.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I don't agree with this. It's definitely not their strength, but they won't lose in the playoffs because of their bottom 6. Their forward group is top 5 in the league IMO. The reason they won't win a cup is because their defense is horrible. Very little depth, and one injury will sink them.

The way they went out this year would suggest otherwise, all though the defense being really hurt didn't make things easy it was the fact they couldn't score that cost them.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The way they went out this year would suggest otherwise, all though the defense being really hurt didn't make things easy it was the fact they couldn't score that cost them.

Two way forwards drive possession though.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
What Pittsburgh needs more than anything is there current players to remain healthy.

They have had more "WTF?" injuries than any other team at terrible times.

I don't know their line combos but when healthy, they look pretty damn solid. Still can hang with anyone in the East IMO if they stay pretty healthy and put it all together:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel
Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett
-Lapierre-

- I think they need some more forwards, or Im forgetting some guys

Maata-Letang
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Scuderi-Cole
Erixon

- D looks weak to me, mostly because Im not sold on Lovejoy and while Pouliot could be spectacular, we just don't know as of right now. Adding a solid top 4 guy now or at the deadline would help a ton IMO.

Fleury
Zatkoff

- Despite all the criticism Fleury has received, he's not the problem to me. Also just had arguably his best season ever.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
What Pittsburgh needs more than anything is there current players to remain healthy.

They have had more "WTF?" injuries than any other team at terrible times.

I don't know their line combos but when healthy, they look pretty damn solid. Still can hang with anyone in the East IMO if they stay pretty healthy and put it all together:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel
Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett
-Lapierre-

- I think they need some more forwards, or Im forgetting some guys

Maata-Letang
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Scuderi-Cole
Erixon

- D looks weak to me, mostly because Im not sold on Lovejoy and while Pouliot could be spectacular, we just don't know as of right now. Adding a solid top 4 guy now or at the deadline would help a ton IMO.

Fleury
Zatkoff

- Despite all the criticism Fleury has received, he's not the problem to me. Also just had arguably his best season ever.
Penguins D going forward would look so much better if not for the head-scratcher that was the Lovejoy-Despres trade.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
The defense will have to stay healthy, Fleury if he plays the way he played last year were in good shape. He had a great season and gave the Pens a chance to win against the Rags in the playoffs. By far our best player last season.

Yeah it comes down to Fleury.

I don't think the D is a weakness by any means, but if the D plays average and Fleury plays average putting up 4 goals a game doesnt always get it done, especially in the playoffs.

If the D lives up to its potential Pitt will be unstoppable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad