Does Patrik Laine remind me of Mario Lemieux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Somehow the Jets with Laine and all these other emerging young superstars like Ehlers and Scheifele are doing worse than the Leafs in the standings. I think that's why people are afraid and there's so much insecurity.

He needs to find a way to drive play more 5v5 and contribute more defensively.

I also think the Jets suffer from putting all their eggs in one basket. What is wrong with Laine that he can't carry a line on his own like other stars?

Maybe this has something to do with the Jets and Leafs this season.

Jets at the top of the NHL in important games lost to injury, not even counting Trouba's "hold-out". Leafs have had the fewest injuries in the NHL. The Jets now only have a top-4 D out (Myers).

View attachment 93195

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Laine is not like Mario. Mario was a more complete player. Laine will live on that elite level shot... Much more similar to Ovi

Mario was a superior player but hardly complete. Laines defensive game is generally good except for the occasional highlight reel blunder. Up until this season, I also thought laine was simply a great shot, but he is so much more.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think the Lemieux comparison is helpful, or even particularly fair. However, it should be said that the stylistic comparison is most frequently used by players who actually played with or against Lemieux. I think it has to do with his size, how he uses his reach, how he moves on the ice, etc. I think that his skillset is different, and not on par with Lemieux'.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Somehow the Jets with Laine and all these other emerging young superstars like Ehlers and Scheifele are doing worse than the Leafs in the standings. I think that's why people are afraid and there's so much insecurity.

He needs to find a way to drive play more 5v5 and contribute more defensively.

I also think the Jets suffer from putting all their eggs in one basket. What is wrong with Laine that he can't carry a line on his own like other stars?

Post of the year :laugh:

Talking about our insecurity and then starts belittling our guy. Hypocrisy at its finest :)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mario was a superior player but hardly complete. Laines defensive game is generally good except for the occasional highlight reel blunder. Up until this season, I also thought laine was simply a great shot, but he is so much more.

Laine is worth more than his shot for sure but he's a goal scorer. Mario was a far superior player and so not the same type of player too! Mario skated through people to get goals... Laine shoots through them.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Laine is worth more than his shot for sure but he's a goal scorer. Mario was a far superior player and so not the same type of player too! Mario skated through people to get goals... Laine shoots through them.

It's been repeated over and over in this thread that nobody is comparing anything but style. Yes, Lemieux has no equal. That has been acknowledged and restated by everyone.

Having said that, if all you see are Laine's shots, you are only watching the Sportscentre highlights. Stylistically, Laine looks like Lemieux, including his reach and his stickhandling and the way he moves through people. He's much more than the big shot, but he big shot gets the goals and highlights. The day to day movements, posture and handling of the puck look enough like Lemieux that the comparison is fair.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Laine's biggest issue which keeps him from elite status is that he is a slow thinker. When Laine gets the puck, unless he's shooting, he's really unsure of what to do with it. You can literally see him thinking about what to do rather than doing it, while superstars just do things spontaneously. This slows him down and creates turnovers and makes him generally ineffective unless he's thinking about shooting.

The think about this is that it's not really an improvable weakness. His brain isn't suddenly going to start firing faster.

Kid's a pure shooter. A fantastic support player. But unless Schiefele is a superstar top 5 center in the NHL, the Jets aren't competing for a Stanley cup.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Laine's biggest issue which keeps him from elite status is that he is a slow thinker. When Laine gets the puck, unless he's shooting, he's really unsure of what to do with it. You can literally see him thinking about what to do rather than doing it, while superstars just do things spontaneously. This slows him down and creates turnovers and makes him generally ineffective unless he's thinking about shooting.

The think about this is that it's not really an improvable weakness. His brain isn't suddenly going to start firing faster.

Kid's a pure shooter. A fantastic support player. But unless Schiefele is a superstar top 5 center in the NHL, the Jets aren't competing for a Stanley cup.

Is this post serious?

tumblr_ob3jak3ji51vayxj5o1_400.gif

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

That's what I've noticed in the 10 games I've seen. IQ just isn't at an elite level. Great at getting open for a one timer, but mentally slower than the elite guys.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

No. he moves the puck quite quickly if he isn't shooting, he has a mean saucer pass to boot and can thread that puck through defenders feet nicely at times.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
That's what I've noticed in the 10 games I've seen. IQ just isn't at an elite level. Great at getting open for a one timer, but mentally slower than the elite guys.
He's a natural goal scorer with a goal scorer's IQ. Will he ever be an elite playmaker? Probably not, but he is just one of those guys that is wired to be a sniper and every team can use one of those, especially when they have the talent to back it up like Laine does. Guys who have a natural affinity for scoring goals deserve credit for hockey IQ too, even though its an attribute we tend to associate with playmakers.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
No. he moves the puck quite quickly if he isn't shooting, he has a mean saucer pass to boot and can thread that puck through defenders feet nicely at times.

Umm, no. Making a pass once in a while doesn't disprove what I said. Shawn Matthias can make a make one too every once in a while.

He lacks the skills to maintain possession of the puck. Very worrying sign for a player who's supposed to be elite and being compared to Mario.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Umm, no. Making a pass once in a while doesn't disprove what I said. Shawn Matthias can make a make one too every once in a while.

He lacks the skills to maintain possession of the puck. Very worrying sign for a player who's supposed to be elite and being compared to Mario.

When he's not scoring, he's passing. Which is why he has more goals and more assists than Matthews. Grasping for straws here bud.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
When he's not scoring, he's passing. Which is why he has more goals and more assists than Matthews. Grasping for straws here bud.

For an elite goal scorer, he only has 3 more goals than Matthews. And Matthews plays the more difficult position and gets less PP time as well.

It's kind of an insult to Matthews to compare him to Laine. You wouldn't compare Phil Kessel to Sidney Crosby.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

taking a page from your playbook.....you clearly havnt watched many jets games this year :laugh:

He can dish the puck but it is obviously not his main specialty. and you are right. he should not be compared to Mario. he is his own player and has his own style.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Like I pointed out in another thread. Does Schiefele not exist in this scenario? Or does he just suck?

At least try to make sense with your posts.

This is not a place for sense.

Case in point

You should confirm that theory with some ink blots. Wait, can you even get paper in winnipeg?

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
taking a page from your playbook.....you clearly havnt watched many jets games this year :laugh:

He can dish the puck but it is obviously not his main specialty. and you are right. he should not be compared to Mario. he is his own player and has his own style.

Is hfboards so primitive that we simply post a bunch of meaningless highlight vids to prove a point? Is Marek Malik one of the greatest goal scorers of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad