Does Patrik Laine remind me of Mario Lemieux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
To you guys who watched the OT between Jets and Redwings, Laine made a deke standing completely still only using his reach and timing. I've never seen anyone but Mario deke in that fashion.

Check out 03:40 in this vid:

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Harmonica1

Nov 16, 2016
Yes, size, hands and reach all remind of him.

I was huge fan of Lemieux, for me the best ever.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Obviously as more and more experts are starting to compare Laine to Lemieux.

Before the draft it was only a couple people. Now it's like half of the NHL.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I actually think that Laine gets underrated compared to McDavid. Guy's only 18! And plays like this. Honestly I believe it'll be a Ovi vs Crosby situation where Laine very well might be the better some years.

Edit: In my dreams it could be a Mario vs. Wayne situation... :amazed:

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Some people will likely be triggered by the question, but stylistically, it might make sense. They even mention as much here:

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I actually think that Laine gets underrated compared to McDavid. Guy's only 18! And plays like this. Honestly I believe it'll be a Ovi vs Crosby situation where Laine very well might be the better some years.

Edit: In my dreams it could be a Mario vs. Wayne situation... :amazed:

Not on this train yet... :)

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I think it was Panger the other day was comparing their skating styles being very similar. I a HUGE Mario fan and as a kid I collected anything and everything Lemieux. The comparisons excite me because I loved to watch him play and to have clone would make me adopt the Jets as side piece.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Some people will likely be triggered by the question, but stylistically, it might make sense. They even mention as much here:

The stylistical comparisons for some of his moments are indeed justifiable. Getting triggered and annoyed comes from the widespread tendency to place direct equation '=' between names appearing in same sentences, something that immediately causes "No way!" or "Never" -reaction.

That's of course full truth. Laine won't never be Lemieux, he'll always be Laine... unless marrying with some girl named Lemieux and taking that name in use (which would not shame the name).

Careless comparisons extrapolated out of their scope causes a lot of turmoil in these hockey fan scenes. Like it would be somehow worst possible blashemy if someone points out stylistical similarities between young rookie and the retired Legend.

Bigger, fully grown Laine can maybe display even more similar stylistic Lemieuxesque maneuvers we can yet perceive. Probably Mario, his style, and tricks AREN'T unfamiliar to Patrik Laine, while it's equally hard to think that Mario could be anyway offended if someone manages to mimic him... particularly so if such player is that young he could almost be a grandson to him by Age. Almost.

JS91

May 14, 2014
As a player he'll obviously never close come to Mario, but stylistically there are definitely similarities.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Well, as far as pure goal scorers go, Lemieux was their king. Laine is doing good if he's being mentioned in the same sentence.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am not sure who made the Laine/Lemieux style comparisons 1st prior to the draft this year, but it did pick up steam.

I know Mckagg was one that dared to mention it early on.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
As a player he'll obviously never close come to Mario, but stylistically there are definitely similarities.

Really? At 18 years of age, several full years away from his prime, and you fully understand where he is going to cap our skillwise?

Not saying he is going to be the second coming of Mario, saying that you nor anyone else knows his ceiling right now. His tragectory over the past 18 months has been nothing short of amazing, and should that tragectory continue, he will be scary good in his prime.

If he capped out today in skill, he is a borderline all star in this league, today.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Really? At 18 years of age, several full years away from his prime, and you fully understand where he is going to cap our skillwise?

Not saying he is going to be the second coming of Mario, saying that you nor anyone else knows his ceiling right now. His tragectory over the past 18 months has been nothing short of amazing, and should that tragectory continue, he will be scary good in his prime.

If he capped out today in skill, he is a borderline all star in this league, today.

Not even mcdavid can touch Lemieuxs heights

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I am not sure who made the Laine/Lemieux style comparisons 1st prior to the draft this year, but it did pick up steam.

I know Mckagg was one that dared to mention it early on.

Can't remember who was it but former finnish NHL players. Ville Nieminen was first maybe? Janne Niinimaa made it early too, Jere Lehtinen, Jari Kurri.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Surprised nobody is talking about what an awesome 3v3 period that was. Constant action the entire time.

As far as Laine goes I agree he is amazing but having never watched Lemieux in his prime I wouldn't be able to make any comparison.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Can't remember who was it but former finnish NHL players. Ville Nieminen was first maybe? Janne Niinimaa made it early too, Jere Lehtinen, Jari Kurri.

I too recall Niinimaa making a stylistic comparison early on. I believe I read that in the Edmonton Sun but can't be sure.

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
To you guys who watched the OT between Jets and Redwings, Laine made a deke standing completely still only using his reach and timing. I've never seen anyone but Mario deke in that fashion.

Check out 03:40 in this vid:

I cant answer this question as im not you.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
He certainly looked a lot like Mario on that move.

Laine is an exciting player. Really stoked to see if he can near Ovechkin as the next great goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad