Does Patrik Laine remind me of Mario Lemieux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The beauty of Laine.

The hit on Sedin is a part of Laine's game I referenced last week. He is a very skilled player, an elite goal scorer that doesn't mind contact and dishing it out. Pretty rare quality to have both. He has 45 hits on the year as a rookie. That's impressive when you add it to his package of skills.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
caught Sedin in a vulnerable position, I could've knocked him on his ass given those same circumstances and I'm almost 62

had that been Kadri making that hit, the suspension talk would've been a cacaphony of hysteria

Ok? It was a good clean hit. It was this hit and Laine's goal that got the Jets fired up to win the game. What is even more impressive than the hit itself is his willingness to make hits as a 18 year old sniper.

Nov 24, 2006
Laine is best thing to happen to the Jets franchise since Selanne.

I am so happy Toronto passed him over.

Agreed on point #1.

As for point #2, the Leafs didn't pass him over, they picked the guy they were always going to pick. It was never in doubt.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Agreed on point #1.

As for point #2, the Leafs didn't pass him over, they picked the guy they were always going to pick. It was never in doubt.

Many people can't understand that Matthews is the better player, and is also the better choice for the existing Leaf team.

But but but Laine scores more goes so he clearly has to be better, right???

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Laine is an excellent player but I don't see the Lemieux "stylistic" comparison. Wasnt Mario more of a speed and line driver where Laine is more of a trigger man? Honestly just curious why Lemieux was chosen of all people. They are both big and skilled...thats all I see.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Laine is an excellent player but I don't see the Lemieux "stylistic" comparison. Wasnt Mario more of a speed and line driver where Laine is more of a trigger man? Honestly just curious why Lemieux was chosen of all people. They are both big and skilled...thats all I see.

I think the vast majority of people don't see it either. Other than being a tall lanky kid with a long stride, there isn't much else stylistically that supports the claim.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009

Laine's more of a bigger, more physical, slower Stamkos to me. Which is really freaking good.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

The only person since Jagr that has really reminded me of Lemieux is Malkin. But then Malkin only does his best Lemieux impression maybe once every 8-10 games. And that's why Lemieux is Lemieux, and everybody else is not.

And even Jagr isn't a great comparison to Lemieux. Similar use of their reach and puck-handling skills but Lemieux was the much faster skater.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Who is excusing Laine from what exactly? Not being rookie of the year?

32 games into his career and he is on a short list of players, all HOF, of teenagers scoring at the clip he is scoring at. What is there to excuse exactly? That it has taken him to long to get there? LOL

No need to excuse anything, kid is having and exceptional rookie season, one for the record books.

Also, you obviously suck at scouting, he had a decent game last night, could easily of had another hattie. To say he was pretty bad is the equivalent of you saying, I feel insecure that we didn't take Laine.

Lol man there's no point in responding to leafs fans, they keep trying to tell us Laine isn't good but yet he's been leading all rookies in scoring virtually all season. Just let them think whatever they want the stats speak for themselves, kid is elite.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
caught Sedin in a vulnerable position, I could've knocked him on his ass given those same circumstances and I'm almost 62

had that been Kadri making that hit, the suspension talk would've been a cacaphony of hysteria

If it was Kadri throwing the hit, there would have been an elbow involved.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kane also sniped a game winning Stanley cup goal. I think one of these things is not like the other.

We are 30+ games into a career, give it time. Also Laine was named the MVP of the Liiga Playoffs at age 17, just turned 18. Pretty impressive, that bodes well for his entire career.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Somehow the Jets with Laine and all these other emerging young superstars like Ehlers and Scheifele are doing worse than the Leafs in the standings. I think that's why people are afraid and there's so much insecurity.

He needs to find a way to drive play more 5v5 and contribute more defensively.

I also think the Jets suffer from putting all their eggs in one basket. What is wrong with Laine that he can't carry a line on his own like other stars?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Somehow the Jets with Laine and all these other emerging young superstars like Ehlers and Scheifele are doing worse than the Leafs in the standings. I think that's why people are afraid and there's so much insecurity.

I also think the Jets suffer from putting all their eggs in one basket. What is wrong with Laine that he can't carry a line on his own like other stars?

Sure.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner

Don't you dare to mention that dirty little pest Katri in Laine thread. Clean hit amd the capitan flies and all the eggs are crushed!

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg

Laine has singlehandedly won more games for his team than anyone on yours m8

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Btw in what way can Jets fans be insecure about Laine? We had the second pick so we took whoever the Leafs passed on. We didn't have to live with "buyers remorse" if the second pick was better than the first because that wasn't our choice to make. We picked second and it turns out second is the rookie scoring leader.. so tell me again, who here is in a position of insecurity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad