Does MLSE actually care about the fans?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
That's a good post Mess. We definately have to draft better, and hopefully more often.

Can't agree with the notion that MLSE will never approve a rebuild because they have to appease shareholders/investors. We're hardly the only valuable hockey team in this league. Plenty of valuable teams like Chicago/Pitts/LA chose to rebuild after enough losing. Boston had no problems selling a good young player in Kessel for picks. I'm sure all these teams had shareholders as well.

Chicago was owned by Bill Wirtz, a single man, and a man who was so bad, he is the only guy that comes even close to Ballard for worst owner in NHL history. He was cheap as ****, any building would die once money was needed. As soon as he croaked, Chicago fans celebrated and his son was the one to pull that franchise's head out of its ass.

LA... they only went through an actual rebuild when they brought in Dean Lombardi and gave him full autonomy and butted out. Before that, they were perennially mediocre to bad since between 1993-2006.

Pittsburgh... wait VALUABLE?!?! Before they got Crosby, they were on the verge of bankruptcy and were about to be moved to KC! You call that valuable? Oh, and they had no shareholders, just a single man in Mario owning the team.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
My biggest fear is that MLSE will not realize the path they are on now is the worst path. Mediocre players for 9th place where the GM is spending to the cap, with many long term deals that may inhibit actual improvement, whether through trade or organically.

I personally think that fans would pay money to see a young team that plays hard rather than this garbage. Consider the tanking as a capital investment, if they really want a marketable star and not some Clarkson they will quickly realize that the draft is the way to go.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I voted yes - because they care about money, and in turn care about our wallets.

The biggest myth around here is that "MLSE only cares about money, not winning".

Go back to that Boston series and think about how much extra money they made during those 7 games.

3 home games = tickets, concessions, merchandise.

4 away games = Maple Leaf Square, food and beer sales, merchandise sales,

7 full days of Real Sports being beyond packed.

They might not care about your feelings, but they care about your money - by that token alone, they know how lucrative a good playoff run could be, and that is reason enough on it's own for them to desire a good product on the ice.

Rocky Saganiuk

Feb 19, 2008
OAKVILLE
If they cared about the fans who are season ticketholders in the upper bowl, they would not have this Skycam wizzing back and forth in their previous unobstructed view.

Only team in NHL and NBA with this obstruction, (others realize the obstruction), all because of the Rogers gamecentre package $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If they cared about the fans who are season ticketholders in the upper bowl, they would not have this Skycam wizzing back and forth in their previous unobstructed view.

Only team in NHL and NBA with this obstruction, (others realize the obstruction), all because of the Rogers gamecentre package $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Doesn't impact my view.

Rocky Saganiuk

Feb 19, 2008
OAKVILLE
Everyone in my immediate who has season seats has, usher in our area has received numerous complaints, Have personally spoken to senior people at MLSE who claim they are aware of situation, have received complaints and are working on a solution.
That was 3 months ago, nothing done...drives you nuts as the cables supporting skycam are black with white background of ice, like watching a game with an eyelash stuck in your eye....is a good reason why no other indoor pro sports organization utilizes it.
They stated at beginning they are rolling it to other Canadian teams, has not been done, probably due to backlash they have received.

Leafspoison*

So true. people know what the solution is but can't seem to do it. it's like smoking - just quit!

Quit going to the games - just quit - why spend hundreds of dollars to support this ***** - why throw an expensive jersey on the ice - why buy the jersey at all.

If everyone would come to their senses - it would all stop - an empty building - lack of chatter - lack of subscribers would send a real message.

I cancelled Leafs TV last week - it's all I've got.

I'm not going to see another Leaf game until they make the playoffs. I will go to the Marlies - it's a better team anyway most years. I've got the IceDogs to see here as well in a brand new arena.

Peeps in Toronto have lots of ways of spending their money without giving it to a corporation that is bent on calamity.

Nice post. I haven't bought MLSE merch or tickets in 5 years. I used to own about 5 leaf hats. All gone and won't buy more. Pats hat on my head at moment.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I think some individual members of the board care about the team, care about other fans (as they are fans themselves) and also get pissed that the team is playing poorly.

The organization is dysfunctional but that dysfunction is eclipsed by their fan base.
I see more arguing between Leafs fans than any other sports organization.

Far too many Leafs fans think a quick fix is the answer and Leafs management has tried quick fixes for decades only to resort to quick fix the previous quick fix. Quick fixes are signing older vets without the proper supporting cast, trading picks and prospects for veterans and overpaying for free agents. That ultimately leads to what we have had in the past and what we have now.

It amazes me when I read some posters on here just wanting to make the playoffs. Like really???? That's all you want, you damn well know that this team and teams of the past are not Stanley Cup contenders but you're happy just making the playoffs?
That's ludicrous.

Look at the successful teams, look at how they were built...you'll get a good idea how to build a contender.

I am not cheering for this team to win now. There's only one way out of this continuous mediocrity and that's to finish low enough to draft stars and build properly.
I am patient enough to follow this team being lousy for the next few years and hoping my patience pays off with a Stanly Cup Championship Team.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I think some individual members of the board care about the team, care about other fans (as they are fans themselves) and also get pissed that the team is playing poorly.

The organization is dysfunctional but that dysfunction is eclipsed by their fan base.
I see more arguing between Leafs fans than any other sports organization.

Far too many Leafs fans think a quick fix is the answer and Leafs management has tried quick fixes for decades only to resort to quick fix the previous quick fix. Quick fixes are signing older vets without the proper supporting cast, trading picks and prospects for veterans and overpaying for free agents. That ultimately leads to what we have had in the past and what we have now.

It amazes me when I read some posters on here just wanting to make the playoffs. Like really???? That's all you want, you damn well know that this team and teams of the past are not Stanley Cup contenders but you're happy just making the playoffs?
That's ludicrous.

Look at the successful teams, look at how they were built...you'll get a good idea how to build a contender.

I am not cheering for this team to win now. There's only one way out of this continuous mediocrity and that's to finish low enough to draft stars and build properly.
I am patient enough to follow this team being lousy for the next few years and hoping my patience pays off with a Stanly Cup Championship Team.

That's news to me, the vast majority have been advocating a full on rebuild for years now.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
All ownership can do is give the GM full financial backing allowing him to spend the max $$ allowable to the Cap ceiling annually and they do as Leafs have one of the NHL's highest team salaries.

If they don't think the GM in charge is doing a good job on their behalf then they fire him.. Bell/Rogers (most recent owners) have already fired a GM who they deemed responsible for the past team failures and 18-wheeler struggles. They did that because they care about the fans and hope for better results with the next GM.

If Nonis is fired for the current team struggles then that would be another sign of MLSE caring. Ownership doesn't get involved in daily operations of trades and signings all they do is approve the contracts that are brought to them for financial approval as the spending comes out of their bank account.

Sure, but, I have a pretty big problem with your original statement stating how ticket prices are raised to raise the quality of product on the ice.

I'm pretty sure a billion dollar corporation doesn't NEED to raise ticket prices in order to meet a cap ceiling of 70 million dollars.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
OF course they do

The corporate ones in the platinum's and suites who Larry mingles with both professionally and recreationally. Their telling him were not paying these prices for a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad