Does MLSE actually care about the fans?

Leafspoison*

The fans pay the salaries and MLSE. We all know that.

But has the machine gotten so big that MLSE does not care about the individual fan?

There is only one way to force MLSE to put a better product on the ice and that is mass boycott. We know that will never happen because of the sheer size of the fan base, which has been estimated at over 20,000,000 world wide.

So MLSE knows this, and MLSE has a license to make money. Their revenue for last season was 190,000,000. MLSE itself is worth over a billion and a half dollars with the Leafs coming in at a billion of it.

Everyone knows the team makes much more money in the playoffs to the tune of 1.5 to 2 million per game. But does MLSE even care about that? That is chump change to them.

So we come to "effort vs playoff" money. It is just my personal opinion, but I think MLSE has the mindset that they are going to rake in the money anyway, keep the team spending to the cap and keep management costs down. So, it is not worth the effort to put a playoff team together. The management costs are essentially the Playoff cost offset.

Therefore, all that said, MLSE has no plans on putting a winning product on the ice and never has.

I think Lieweke went to MLSE and said he wants much more money to put a proper management group together like he did in L.A and got shot down.

MLSE has a team of money crunchers. The evidence is clear that the product has suffered.

So again, the question is posed, does MLSE (given the size of the fan base) actually care about the individual fan?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I imagine it as an out-of-touch parent who buys you a childrens toy when you are 16. They care and they want you to be happy, but they're just completely oblivious.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If you think MLSE enjoys seeing their jersey's thrown on the ice, and their product be an embarrassment, think again.

Think jersey's and merch are flying off the shelves right now?

Leafspoison*

If you think MLSE enjoys seeing their jersey's thrown on the ice, and their product be an embarrassment, think again.

Hmmm, I don't think they do care. I think the merchandise will always fly off the shelf. This isn't Arizona, its Leaf nation and the fans are rabid.

I just wonder how many dads or moms are steering their kid away from cheering for the team if any?

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
I think that they are raising the ticket prices after the past couple of seasons speaks for itself

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Start new trends lets like #dailymlsebashing I whatever and work to make it trendy to hate on this organization. Start making the organiZation look to be the devil and MLSE by way of rogers bell will clear that office out of all things hockey.

Or target Rogers and Bell. Call in voice frustration cancel a service drives. If we call cancelled a service or downgraded.

They new to hurt like we hurt to do the right thing. They don't hurt they keep making money.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
They do care about the individual fan, their wallet anyway. We need a Dr. Phil intervention here with MLSE and the Leafs. Fans need to stop showing up to games to prove the point that we are tired of this circus show of garbage team.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I don't believe the notion that they don't care about a winning product for a second. If anything, winning makes so much more money than not. Problem is, they can't just throw money at the problem. This is not a money issue, it is a smart hockey operation issue. It's about stopping the merry-go-round of stupid trades and signings, buckling down and doing a proper rebuild. Building the foundation and the pipeline that will feed it. Not in a year and a half, either.

They all think people are upset if they lose. That's only when we see the current edition of the Muskoka 5. Get us a proper rebuild, and noone will *****. As long as you call it that way and you stick to it, no cutting corners.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
They care.

This x1,000,000,000

Seriously. They're trying everything they can think of, the only problem is there is no magic wand to wave to instantly turn this team into a perennial contender with perfect drafting like these "mass boycott" fans seem to expect.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This x1,000,000,000

Seriously. They're trying everything they can think of, the only problem is there is no magic wand to wave to instantly turn this team into a perennial contender with perfect drafting like these "mass boycott" fans seem to expect.

They care about their own jobs man. The owners want results they try for the playoffs now. They are all failures and terrible vampires that mortgage the future to gain competitive edge over the next one. Tons of MLSE are just people who know people not the best people for the job.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes they care.

They regularly raise tickets prices at the ACC so they can afford to spend more on player salaries to keep up with the Salary Cap ceiling rising demands.

They're spending more on the entertainment product in order to increase the enjoyment experience for their fans.

If they supported tanking and wanted to put an inferior product out on the ice, then they would support dumping the big salaries of the teams better players and spend to the Cap floor instead. Then they could be accused of not caring and in it only for the money only.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Yes they care.

They regularly raise tickets prices at the ACC so they can afford to spend more on player salaries to keep up with the Salary Cap ceiling rising demands.

They're spending more on the entertainment product in order to increase the enjoyment experience for their fans.

If they supported tanking and wanted to put an inferior product out on the ice, then they would support dumping the big salaries of the teams better players and spend to the Cap floor instead. Then they could be accused of not caring and in it only for the money only.

Sarcasm? Please be sarcasm...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes they care.

They need to weed out the maple leafs division top to bottom save for maybe secretaries and janitors. The board? Silver fox is even still around those parts. They need to regime change completely and stop talking. Just focus on the expenditures and profits. This leads to my theory though.

It is possible that this crippled team generates more profit for losing than they would winning.

We the fans dial in more for the drama trend on twitter exposé ourselves to more ads etc when there is crisis. I think this is what Ballard figured.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sarcasm? Please be sarcasm...

All ownership can do is give the GM full financial backing allowing him to spend the max $$ allowable to the Cap ceiling annually and they do as Leafs have one of the NHL's highest team salaries.

If they don't think the GM in charge is doing a good job on their behalf then they fire him.. Bell/Rogers (most recent owners) have already fired a GM who they deemed responsible for the past team failures and 18-wheeler struggles. They did that because they care about the fans and hope for better results with the next GM.

If Nonis is fired for the current team struggles then that would be another sign of MLSE caring. Ownership doesn't get involved in daily operations of trades and signings all they do is approve the contracts that are brought to them for financial approval as the spending comes out of their bank account.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
They might think they do, but it's a different relationship than most owners have with fanbases. They don't sell people on being Leafs fans or do things to grow the fanbase. They wax-poetic, then stick their hand out.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

It is abundantly clear by the decades long performances of their products that their concern is brand making, gear selling, ticket price increases, TV right selling, "entertainment product" making and monopoly protection but NEVER whether you or any other fan is happy with their management style or the record of the Leafs.

The only possible thing that could change them is to have a strong rival within this city in the NHL that kicks the Leafs butt regularly. But even then they are so not focussed on winning it may not change even then.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It is abundantly clear by the decades long performances of their products that their concern is brand making, gear selling, ticket price increases, TV right selling, "entertainment product" making and monopoly protection but NEVER whether you or any other fan is happy with their management style or the record of the Leafs.

The only possible thing that could change them is to have a strong rival within this city in the NHL that kicks the Leafs butt regularly. But even then they are so not focussed on winning it may not change even then.

Burke a lawyer, promised us an entertaining team. Calamity is pretty entertaining ;)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dumb and Dumber

Which is MLSE and which is the fan?

It's a business, business isn't about people it's about money.

They have taken advantage of Leafs fans who are actually HOCKEY fans rabid support for the game and this team.

Win or lose we dial in. We are the most engaged, we read about the team about the problems. It sells, the dysfunction sells because we care that much.

When we as a fanbase become disinterested and these things stop selling papers and ad revenues go down you would see a paradigm shift quite quickly.

I am convinced, the more problems this team has the more money it makes through sources not Gate or Merchandise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad