Does Mitch Marner have an underrated one-timer?

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I don't know what happened with this guy. Actually what I'm afraid to admit to myself is I do know and I don't like the answer --- he got paid.

He just hasn't improved. His skating sucks. He's not any stronger, like, at all after 4 years and he's now approaching his prime years.

But he does put up points, blah blah blah.

You know what it's not his fault. He is what he is and he's just not what this team needs.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I mean Marner insults the team through the media even with Dubas offering him over payments, gets a terrible contract which is on Dubas, and then decides to take an entire season off. He also refuses to take owndership of his own play and instead starts calling out the team? If that doesn't signify a lack of character on his part, what does?
When you have leaders like him on the team, it's not a surprise the team can't mentally engage on a consistent basis. Yet we have fans here defending him for some reason.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
From Reddit.

3F5779C9-1ABF-4926-8691-84BDD6ADCF31.jpeg

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Looked a little gassed out there towards the end especially

I've said it before but I really question his commitment to conditioning and actually getting stronger. His skating sucks. And no, I'm not referring to his "edge work". He looks like a weak skater to me. For someone his size and weight, he's awfully slow.

I also never hear about things he plans to work on in the offseason. Maybe I've just missed it but the only time I've seen anything related to getting better, was that guantlet trick-shot video that surfaced like 2 years ago. Now I know he must be doing more than that but whatever it is he's doing, it's certainly not translating into improvement on the ice.

I still think he's a great player but at his price-tag, I don't know...

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Mitch has elite mind and hands, and will not give up on pucks. But the evidence is in 'right now'. Right now Marner is at least 2-3 million overpaid and JT a couple million. That money has affected the balancing of the team. Too many compensations made trying to squeeze them all in. Dammit. It's clear now we needed to play hardball with Marner like with Nylander. Needed to sit out until Christmas or maybe the year until logical contract was signed. That kid couldn't sniff Matthews jockstrap Matthews better/more valuable in every way. Astonishing they were getting compared at contract time because of a few more points for Mitch. SMH. Dubas did best he could on Willie and AM contract was fine for such a valued center asset. He plumb folded on Marner and JT contract that's on Lou.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Mitch has elite mind and hands, and will not give up on pucks. But the evidence is in 'right now'. Right now Marner is at least 2-3 million overpaid and JT a couple million. That money has affected the balancing of the team. Too many compensations made trying to squeeze them all in. Dammit. It's clear now we needed to play hardball with Marner like with Nylander. Needed to sit out until Christmas or maybe the year until logical contract was signed. That kid couldn't sniff Matthews jockstrap Matthews better/more valuable in every way. Astonishing they were getting compared at contract time because of a few more points for Mitch. SMH. Dubas did best he could on Willie and AM contract was fine for such a valued center asset. He plumb folded on Marner and JT contract that's on Lou.
Caving on Nylander is what set the tone for Marner and Matthews to abuse Dubas.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Maybe this will make people more reasonable and realize Marner is not close to Matthews level. Matthews is better.
It's no contest and there mever was.

Reactions: CincoHolio

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
It's all mental, if we want Mitch to get back to playing like he did, he's gotta have to overcome whatever it is that is going on. I'm guessing a lot has to do with the contract, but that is over now. We might have to eventually look at trade options for both Mitch and Leafs' sake if he doesnt find a way to get back the next season. I think he needs some sort of sports psychologist or something, but im sure they are on it. I still blame Dubas more than anyone. Also, by the off chance that Mitch is torturing himself and reading on these boards, please shoot the puck more(!) you have become too easy to read

Reactions: glue

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Caving on Nylander is what set the tone for Marner and Matthews to abuse Dubas.

He did NOT cave on Nylander. Dubas was prepared to have him sit out the year. Nylander called in the 11th hour. Dubas held firm right up until then. Imo, considering Nylander's development since, I give Dubas solid marks on that signing but whatever. The one he caved on was Mitch, to make sure 'Mitchy' didn't miss any training camp or game action, which he should have considering his ridiculous demands.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He did NOT cave on Nylander. Dubas was prepared to have him sit out the year. Nylander called in the 11th hour. Dubas held firm right up until then. Imo, considering Nylander's development since, I give Dubas solid marks on that signing but whatever. The one he caved on was Mitch, to make sure 'Mitchy' didn't miss any training camp or game action, which he should have considering his ridiculous demands.
How much money did Nylander lose by sitting out?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It's all mental, if we want Mitch to get back to playing like he did, he's gotta have to overcome whatever it is that is going on. I'm guessing a lot has to do with the contract, but that is over now. We might have to eventually look at trade options for both Mitch and Leafs' sake if he doesnt find a way to get back the next season. I think he needs some sort of sports psychologist or something, but im sure they are on it. I still blame Dubas more than anyone. Also, by the off chance that Mitch is torturing himself and reading on these boards, please shoot the puck more(!) you have become too easy to read

he had a hot year (better results than underlying numbers would predict) on a hot line centered by a man known to take above-average wingers and make them look like stars. maybe there's not much else there to him. physically he seems to be shrinking benjamin button style.

Reactions: CincoHolio

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto

Agreed on pretty much all of this. Although, JT was signed by Dubas, it's neither here nor there because there is no way, in any universe that JT does not get signed by the Leafs and for that amount no matter the GM.

Auston's contract is only not perfect because of the term but other than that, he is paid his worth. There wasn't an option to play hardball with him.

It's Mitch's contract that is the millstone. I also have him pegged at around 7.5 - 8 per.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto

I wonder if playing at home with all his people watching him, messes with his head some.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
This thread is so Leafs-board. Got a 90-100 point superstar who scores 20+ goals a year, and we have a thread talking shit and making fun of him because he's only good at scoring goals and not elite.

so wait...we shouldn't notice what he needs to improve...ok hear ya dude...they can do no wrong, my god they are amazing...all of them...better?

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
forget hockey player.

Marner is the type of human that sees success through results. Unfortunately like so many of his peers, the results he seeks are in the form of $$$$$.

He has won. He wins every day.

This is the culture created by Dubas.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

{I dunno I feel like he should be training with Gary Roberts in the off season..just saying apparently the guy is a workout nut and MArner could use someone to drive that respect for conditioning into him

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad