Does Mitch Marner have an underrated one-timer?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One thing I have read about Mitch Marner is that he doesn't use his shot as much, because how often have we seen him use his one timer when scoring goals? So when looking at this example of a previous goal he scored in overtime against Ottawa from this past season using his one timer, is it fair to say that Marner's shooting is underrated and it's something the other teams would not expect him to use?

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Yes it is, especially with the other teams knowing that he is a pass first guy... Think he should use his shot when he has the chance this series

Reactions: LeafsNation75

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
One thing I have read about Mitch Marner is that he doesn't use his shot as much, because how often have we seen him use his one timer when scoring goals? So when looking at this example of a previous goal he scored in overtime against Ottawa from this past season using his one timer, is it fair to say that Marner's shooting is underrated and it's something the other teams would not expect him to use?

I was at the game. After the Leafs killed off the penalty and went on the PP I turned to my wife and said watch the magic.

Then this happened.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
I'm pretty sure Mitchy is an extremely "high emotion" guy who feeds off in the moment events. He can do amazing things in bursts it appears.. I'd imagine he gets a lot of adrenaline throughout a game and crashes hard after. Need to add a lot of strength to him.. I hope his body matures in the next couple years.

Reactions: TopCheese

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner needs to shoot more often and earlier. He holds on sometimes too long and gives away the right chance to beat a goalie. His power isnt good but he has shown deadly accuracy in the past. He tries to deke the goalie out a bit much. He is an elite playmaker first but his shot plus hands should be good for high 20 goals yearly. He can be a fringe 30 goal scorer moving forward if he applies himself to improve his shooting power and decision making a bit more.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
No he doesn't. Just because you score once doesn't mean it's underrated.
Was Dean Morton an underrated goal scorer? He scored one goal in his career.
wow why do you lie for?, just quickly checked youtube and found he scored more than once with a one timer????, wow for a leafs fan u sure like to throw the players under the bus at all times ridiculous.....

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Marner needs to shoot more often and earlier. He holds on sometimes too long and gives away the right chance to beat a goalie. His power isnt good but he has shown deadly accuracy in the past. He tries to deke the goalie out a bit much. He is an elite playmaker first but his shot plus hands should be good for high 20 goals yearly. He can be a fringe 30 goal scorer moving forward if he applies himself to improve his shooting power and decision making a bit more.

Last night was a good example. Tavares set him up with a nifty pass. Quick release as soon as he gets it and it's a goal. But he held on to it instead and did some random move and got a weak shot off.

As others said he has really good accuracy so I hope he starts burying it instead of always going for a cute play.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He's arguably the team's best playmaker. He still has a single season high of 26 goals to his credit. That doesn't necessarily mean he will top out at that mark.

Mar 14, 2015
Its not underrated, he has good accuracy but overall weak shot at an NHL level. An area he can improve a lot which I think he will do over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: binop7

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
His shot has improved. He is getting stronger and you can see it in photos now. He is still not a great shot. He needs to work on it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Shooting is probably the biggest area of improvement he could make. It would make him an incredibly deadly player because he'd be a dual threat with his passes and shot, they couldn't cheat on him passing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His shot is below average for an NHL player but it's not an issue, he'll always be a pass first player.
It will no doubt improve as he'll continually work on it and I think going forward he will be a consistent 30 goal guy.

Marners shot seems to be pretty well rated in answer to the OP's question.

Reactions: Primary Assist

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

it could be better, no doubt, he uses it only sparingly, but rarely misses when he does use it

the fact is he has so many different things going on in his bag of tricks and so many ways to hurt the opponent you can't worry about one, it's just great seeing them all

one thing's for sure though LeaFlanders do not truly understand what they have in Mitch and so often underrate, and under appreciate him

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
wow why do you lie for?, just quickly checked youtube and found he scored more than once with a one timer????, wow for a leafs fan u sure like to throw the players under the bus at all times ridiculous.....
You're responding to an insecure Nylander fan boy...
His shtick is to bash Marner and/or praise Nylander at every opportunity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad