Does Letang deserve any HoF discussion when his career is over?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My understanding is that by the standard most fans believe should be set, the answer is "No", and by the standard that has been set its "Probably not but maaaaaybe". 3rd highest ppg for dmen over the last 10 years and 3 Stanley Cup rings isn't a bad resume.

I think he really needs some individual silverware. A Norris or a Conn Smythe.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah I mean the MLB/NFL/NHL really is the hall of very good, so I think he deserves it IMO. Has a signature moment in the GWG for the Stanley Cup. 3 Cups. Probably deserved a Norris. Has to be in the top voting of that 2016 CS. Kessel, Sid, Murray/Letang is how I would have voted.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
giphy.gif

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Crosby, Malkin, and Flower all HoF locks. Meanwhile we are talking about Letang even being in the discussion. So this is admitting he was the weakest link of the core and didn't live up to his full potential like the other 3?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I mean the MLB/NFL/NHL really is the hall of very good, so I think he deserves it IMO. Has a signature moment in the GWG for the Stanley Cup. 3 Cups. Probably deserved a Norris. Has to be in the top voting of that 2016 CS. Kessel, Sid, Murray/Letang is how I would have voted.

He came 3rd that year iirc.

I almost find myself wishing this year that something would happen to the competition. He deserves a Norris for what he's done but there's three other compelling stories.

Quite how he doesn't have a Masterton is beyond me as well.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Not only the cup winning goal in 2016 - but he also factored in on all 4 GWG's in that series. Apparently that had only been done by Gretz before.

I don't like the hardware discussion when it comes to defensemen - because the Norris is basically whoever gets the most points and is making headlines that season. That said - if he had the Smythe in 2016 (only other person I'd have given it to other than Sid that year) he'd be a lock.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
He was lower on the depth chart during the first run and injured during the most recent one, that doesn't help. If the Pens win another cup and he's a big contributor I'd say yes though

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He came 3rd that year iirc.

I almost find myself wishing this year that something would happen to the competition. He deserves a Norris for what he's done but there's three other compelling stories.

Quite how he doesn't have a Masterton is beyond me as well.

Gio, Reilly and who is the third? Karlsson/Burns?

Gio likely gets it although if Letang passes him in points I think he has an argument.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Gio, Reilly and who is the third? Karlsson/Burns?

Gio likely gets it although if Letang passes him in points I think he has an argument.

Burns.

It should be Tanger though. He's taking the most minutes, and has more responsibility, less help, or both than all of them.

I'm thinking it'll be Gio. His argument is about as good - maybe a tad better - and at his age, its now or never. I could accept that. Burns or Rielly would be galling.

Good job he'll win the CS this year instead.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Ya, he needs a Norris. This year is as good as any for him to get in that discussion but he's going to need a serious run down the stretch to get there. If he wasn't considered the best defenseman in the league in any season of his career, hard to put him in the HOF. I mean if it was Nick Lidstrom winning it every year that's one thing, but it's not like one player has had a strangle hold on it all this time. Until Tanger gets a Norris, he's not in the hall.

Side note, Flower isn't a lock there either. A cup win with LVK last season would have done it, but on his own he's won 3 cups but only been the primary starter for 1. Murray has him beat there already.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ya, he needs a Norris. This year is as good as any for him to get in that discussion but he's going to need a serious run down the stretch to get there. If he wasn't considered the best defenseman in the league in any season of his career, hard to put him in the HOF. I mean if it was Nick Lidstrom winning it every year that's one thing, but it's not like one player has had a strangle hold on it all this time. Until Tanger gets a Norris, he's not in the hall.

Side note, Flower isn't a lock there either. A cup win with LVK last season would have done it, but on his own he's won 3 cups but only been the primary starter for 1. Murray has him beat there already.

I hate MAF, but he is 100% a lock.

His personality, his win totals and he’s been to 3 finals while being a starter and a big part of those teams and two as a back up with 3 cups.

Reactions: Doogle and KIRK

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

Huh? He's #9 all time in wins and will probably finish Top 5. Almost everybody in Top 15 for goalie wins is in the HoF. He's a lock.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Letang needs a Norris.

Fleury should abso-f***ing-lutely not be a Hockey Hall of Famer but he probably will be. Was never among the league's best save for one season with Vegas. No awards. One Stanley Cup as a starter in a run where he wasn't even that great. Was below average for a long stretch of his time with the Penguins including possibly the worst run of playoff performances in league history between 2010-2013.

But hey he stacked up a bunch of wins on a team with two generational talents and smiles a lot so why not.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I hate MAF, but he is 100% a lock.

His personality, his win totals and he’s been to 3 finals while being a starter and a big part of those teams and two as a back up with 3 cups.

The win totals are the thing. #9 right now, and I'd think anywhere from #3-#5 when he retires.

Letang needs a 'hang his hat' individual achievement like that. A Norris, as you said, would do it.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Crosby, Malkin, and Flower all HoF locks. Meanwhile we are talking about Letang even being in the discussion. So this is admitting he was the weakest link of the core and didn't live up to his full potential like the other 3?
Crosby and Malkin are generational talents. Nobody thinks Letang is on their level. Doesn't mean he's not a great player. Fleury is a lock because wins get attributed to the goalie despite being a team stat, and because he was healthier than Letang in the prime of his career. I'm not dissing Fleury, he's a really good goalie. But if you give me the choice between Letang and a league average goalie or Fleury and a league average 1D, I'm taking Letang every time. But Fleury is more likely to make the Hall of Really Good for a Very Long Time unless Letang gets himself a Norris or Conn Smythe.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Letang needs a Norris.

Fleury should abso-****ing-lutely not be a Hockey Hall of Famer but he probably will be. Was never among the league's best save for one season with Vegas. No awards. One Stanley Cup as a starter in a run where he wasn't even that great. Was below average for a long stretch of his time with the Penguins including possibly the worst run of playoff performances in league history between 2010-2013.

But hey he stacked up a bunch of wins on a team with two generational talents and smiles a lot so why not.

He's been to 5 cup finals, has three rings, and by the time his career is over will be top 5 in wins and top 20 in shutouts. But sure, it's all because of his goofy smile and silly pranks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad