Does Letang deserve any HoF discussion when his career is over?

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
He's been to 5 cup finals, has three rings, and by the time his career is over will be top 5 in wins and top 20 in shutouts. But sure, it's all because of his goofy smile and silly pranks

He's been to 3 Cup finals, I don't count ones where he wore a baseball cap the whole time. He won one of them. Fantastic.

And again, he'll have a bunch of wins and shutouts because again he played on a really good team for over a decade. Where he was subpar for most of it. He was a below-average goaltender for most of his tenure in Pittsburgh. He was never one of the best in the league, never elite, he varied from average to disastrous but had the good fortune of playing for a real good team.

It's the Hockey Hall of Fame. It's reserved for the best of the best, especially if you're a goalie. Fleury is the goalie equivalent of a compiler.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's been to 3 Cup finals, I don't count ones where he wore a baseball cap the whole time. He won one of them. Fantastic.

And again, he'll have a bunch of wins and shutouts because again he played on a really good team for over a decade. Where he was subpar for most of it. He was a below-average goaltender for most of his tenure in Pittsburgh. He was never one of the best in the league, never elite, he varied from average to disastrous but had the good fortune of playing for a real good team.

It's the Hockey Hall of Fame. It's reserved for the best of the best, especially if you're a goalie. Fleury is the goalie equivalent of a compiler.

Combination of wins and his personality as it goes in the NHL HOF.

Same reason Tommy B will never go in when he deserves it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Crosby, Malkin, and Flower all HoF locks. Meanwhile we are talking about Letang even being in the discussion. So this is admitting he was the weakest link of the core and didn't live up to his full potential like the other 3?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

AHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

imagine thinking Fleury is better at his postion than Letang.

Fleury here was Just an average goalie. And by far the weakest link.

Letang here has been a constant top 10 Dman in the whole league.

Letang was the strongest link to a cup win in 2016. Fleury was on the bench. Gtfoh.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's been to 5 cup finals, has three rings, and by the time his career is over will be top 5 in wins and top 20 in shutouts. But sure, it's all because of his goofy smile and silly pranks

Fleury is literally at league average for his career save percentage. He's not even close...i mean CLOSE to a HOFer.

No HOF goalie should be at league average for Save percentage for their career.

And that is what Fleury is, Reg season and Playoffs combined. He's at league average. Literally Nothing special about him.

Jake Allen would have 400+ wins had he been here from 06-17

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
My criteria for a HOFer seems different than most (especially voters), but I don’t understand why. IMO, to start the conversation you should ask yourself “At any point in his career, would you have considered him one of the 3-5 best at what he does?” Then you can get into rings, longevity, etc. The answer to that question for Letang is yes; the answer for MAF is no.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Fleury's overall save percentage since he entered the league: 912.

The league average since he entered the league: 911.

Might as Well put every okay goalie in if Fleury gets in. He's just a lucky Dwayne Roloson who stacked wins behind two generational talents.

Reactions: Casanova and JackFr

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Fluery = Chris Osgood to me. Good goalie for a long time, has some cups, but isn't a HOFer.

His win totals are inflated by the fact that he played with Sid and Geno on a team that didnt miss the playoffs for over 1o seasons and he plays in the shootout era, meaning no more ties. Take away his shootout wins that would have counted as ties and he doesn't look so hot.

I love the guy and wish him the best, but he needs to win a Cup with Vegas or keep up his level of play into his late 30s to have a chance at the hall.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You tell me. Does Letang deserve hall of fame consideration when his career is over? What else would he need to obtain that status? Would one Norris do it?

I think he'd need a Norris or two. I think he's one of those guys who would need to have a long career of playing at a high level (ie. the defense version of an Andreychuk/Recchi) without any individual awards, and I'm not sure I'd trust his health to hold out for that long.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Fleury's overall save percentage since he entered the league: 912.

The league average since he entered the league: 911.

Might as Well put every okay goalie in if Fleury gets in. He's just a lucky Dwayne Roloson who stacked wins behind two generational talents.
He's been to 3 finals as a starter with 2 different teams. Most NHL goalies dont even sniff 1 final in their careers. I dont even like MAF, but that dude is going to be a hhofer. I'd bet that he finishes his career 2nd all-time in wins too.

Reactions: Trade

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's been to 3 finals as a starter with 2 different teams. Most NHL goalies dont even sniff 1 final in their careers. I dont even like MAF, but that dude is going to be a hhofer. I'd bet that he finishes his career 2nd all-time in wins too.

Most goalies don't get to ride the coattails of Crosby and Malkin and put up 500 wins despite subpar play. Wins mean nothing to show how good a goalie was. Fleury is proof. Was average even below for a few years and still put up 35-40 wins with bad play.

Mike Smith wins 450 games here.

Reactions: JackFr

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'm like 65% no.

He needs some sort of personal trophy hardware, OR, be a part of another Cup.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fleury will make the HoF easily. I know those might be some hard pills to swallow for some people, but it's true.

Letang on the other hand, nothing really fame worthy about him - so far.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Turning the question - how many dmen per generation make it in and which of them are getting in? Keith, Karlsson and Doughty are in. Is Burns? Hedman?

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
He’ll have a hard time getting in without a Norris or a Conn Smythe. How can you justify a Norris Defensemen with minimum 3 Cups not getting in?

Let’s look at the defensemen that will get in if their career stopped today.

Keith: 1 Conn smythe, 2 Norris and 3 Cups. 100% getting in (This is insane lol)

Doughty 2 Cups, 1 Norris. 100% getting in

Karlsson 0 Cup, 2 Norris. 100% getting in.

Zdeno Chara 1 Cup as a Captain, 1 Norris 100% getting in.

But then again there’s Weber who is 100% getting in without a Norris or a Cup no matter what happens next.

Last edited:

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I hate MAF, but he is 100% a lock.

His personality, his win totals and he’s been to 3 finals while being a starter and a big part of those teams and two as a back up with 3 cups.

I don't hate MAF, although I think he's incredibly overrated. And awful in the playoffs. But yeah, due to his wins, he's in.

Letang hasn't done nearly enough. He has zero individual awards, no scoring titles (for D, obviously), inconsistent. He just hasn't done enough.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Letang needs a Norris.

Fleury should abso-****ing-lutely not be a Hockey Hall of Famer but he probably will be. Was never among the league's best save for one season with Vegas. No awards. One Stanley Cup as a starter in a run where he wasn't even that great. Was below average for a long stretch of his time with the Penguins including possibly the worst run of playoff performances in league history between 2010-2013.

But hey he stacked up a bunch of wins on a team with two generational talents and smiles a lot so why not.

Post of the thread! I love it.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
He’ll have a hard time getting in without a Norris or a Conn Smythe. How can you justify a Norris Defensemen with minimum 3 Cups not getting in?

Let’s look at the defensemen that will get in if their career stopped today.

Keith: 1 Conn smythe, 2 Norris and 3 Cups. 100% getting in (This is insane lol)

Doughty 2 Cups, 1 Norris. 100% getting in

Karlsson 0 Cup, 2 Norris. 100% getting in.

Zdeno Chara 1 Cup as a Captain, 1 Norris 100% getting in.

But then again there’s Weber who is 100% getting in without a Norris or a Cup no matter what happens next.

I'm not so sure Weber gets in 100%
In fact you kinda wonder if Letang and Weber aren't really seen as equals in the eyes of voters

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
My criteria for a HOFer seems different than most (especially voters), but I don’t understand why. IMO, to start the conversation you should ask yourself “At any point in his career, would you have considered him one of the 3-5 best at what he does?” Then you can get into rings, longevity, etc. The answer to that question for Letang is yes; the answer for MAF is no.

Particularly for goalies my criteria is:

1. Were you top five in the league for a sustained period of time (let's say 5 years)
2. Were you consistently strong throughout your career until the age curve hit.
on
3. Were you the best or 2nd best in the league behind another Hall of Famer for 2 seasons.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The HHoF is stingy in regards to defensemen and even more so for goalies. Here is the list of (male) goalies that have been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame since 2006:
1. Patrick Roy
2. Ed Belfour
3. Dominik Hasek
4. Martin Brodeur

Fleury has almost zero chance. Letang would need to have about 5 or 6 more 18/19 seasons to maybe have a chance, but unlikely.

Reactions: Al Smith

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad