Does Komarov stay?

roto

Oct 26, 2009
Why play in 4th line role with 4th line salary with 4th line minutes if you can play in another top league where you can get better salary, more offensive role, more ice time, shorter season and you nearer you family and friends?

Well, I guess only reason is status of NHL. North Americans may not see other leagues as an option but for Europeans it is. Usually players want to play ice hockey in offensive role with bigger minutes, and NHL has limited amount of that kind of roles available.

Komarov may continue in NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if the moves back to KHL.

Temego

Mar 8, 2011
I think he'll stay in Toronto if he gets a reasonable offer. There's still plenty of time for him to make more than enough money in Russia, even after playing a few years in Toronto trying to develop into a more offensive player.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why play in 4th line role with 4th line salary with 4th line minutes if you can play in another top league where you can get better salary, more offensive role, more ice time, shorter season and you nearer you family and friends?

Well, I guess only reason is status of NHL. North Americans may not see other leagues as an option but for Europeans it is. Usually players want to play ice hockey in offensive role with bigger minutes, and NHL has limited amount of that kind of roles available.

Komarov may continue in NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if the moves back to KHL.

Very good points that you bring up.

It's really to hard to pinpoint what he's going to do. Its not like there's far less teams in the KHL that he can't go back too, or he's not going to get any exposure playing in North America. A lot of these guys can play that card of going to the KHL to boost their salary, but it hardly ever works because GM's will call their bluff and replace them with someone cheaper.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Obviously he has his reasons or he wouldn't have come here in the first place. I highly doubt he came here expecting to play with Kessel.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'm not able to access Twitter at work, but a week ago he tweeted that he would accept league minimum to stay in Toronto, and that he felt $1.2M was a lot of money to have been paid already (bless his heart).

At ~$900K he's on of the best-value players in the game. Hope they keep him around.

For those of you who haven't yet subscribed to his twitter @KorporalKomarov you guys are missing out. It's like listening to Grabovski but with worse English (in a hilarious, non-irritating way) and way, way funnier.

There was one a couple days ago: "Randy Carlyle is so old, his social insurance number is 12".

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
That being said he has also since that time tweeted that he's taken up talks with Dynamo Moscow (or some KHL team) and is weighing his options.

My impression is of a guy that would be very happy staying in North America, but has options to play elsewhere.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I'm not able to access Twitter at work, but a week ago he tweeted that he would accept league minimum to stay in Toronto, and that he felt $1.2M was a lot of money to have been paid already (bless his heart).

At ~$900K he's on of the best-value players in the game. Hope they keep him around.

For those of you who haven't yet subscribed to his twitter @KorporalKomarov you guys are missing out. It's like listening to Grabovski but with worse English (in a hilarious, non-irritating way) and way, way funnier.

There was one a couple days ago: "Randy Carlyle is so old, his social insurance number is 12".

Lol it's a parody account man. Thought it was pretty obvious. Pretty sure it's an HFboards member running it too.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Komarov seems to be quite a competitor. I would hope he wants to be in the NHL (best league in the world) as long as he is paid adequately.

Hopefully his agent is smart enough to not price him out of the market.

Mr Scarface*

Komarov seems to be quite a competitor. I would hope he wants to be in the NHL (best league in the world) as long as he is paid adequately.

Hopefully his agent is smart enough to not price him out of the market.
Having seen Leo Komarov play a whole lot a bootay in the past and this season I think he might be smarter than his agent.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Need to keep him around, valuable bottom 6 player that plays his role well.

But at the same time, you dont want to be overpaying for these types of players

1.5 mil tops

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Need to keep him around, valuable bottom 6 player that plays his role well.

But at the same time, you dont want to be overpaying for these types of players

1.5 mil tops

For sure you keep this guy around. He's capable of playing 3rd line minutes and imo should be playing there. Energy and grit is what you want from your 3rd line and he brings this.

I think it's safe to say that there will be some trades and some off season moves and holes will be plugged and some may open up. Komarov is not a 4th line guy and should be plugged in for more playing time with better line mates. I have no problems signing him to $900,000 or 1,500,000, guy deserves a bigger roll on the team and I think he will get it next season.

Mr Scarface*

For sure you keep this guy around. He's capable of playing 3rd line minutes and imo should be playing there. Energy and grit is what you want from your 3rd line and he brings this.

I think it's safe to say that there will be some trades and some off season moves and holes will be plugged and some may open up. Komarov is not a 4th line guy and should be plugged in for more playing time with better line mates. I have no problems signing him to $900,000 or 1,500,000, guy deserves a bigger roll on the team and I think he will get it next season.
And don't forget that only the number of his (HITS) is (exceptional) in this level of the game. There are not many players who can play smart hockey and still hit that much. Exceptional is the key word I'm using here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad