Does Komarov stay?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Give him anything he wants!!! Trade Kessel, Dion and Lupul if we can keep him! Who needs to win games when you can watch Leo skate around for 60 pissing people off!

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
if he is willing to take 2M or less, else let him go as we can replace him easily. we have a ton of 3rd line guys in the AHL that need to prove if they can play higher then a top 9 role.

other then hitting and pissing other teams off he doesn't provide much. i'd like him back cheap but wouldn't miss him if much he goes.

Am I the only one here who sees Biggs being more than a grinder?

hard to because he hasn't shown good hands or vision. if those don't improve dramatically i doubt he will play higher then a 3rd line role. i am a biggs fan but i need to see him do a lot more.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Keeping in mind that he said that his dream was playing in the NHL and that's why he left a comfortable position in the KHL to begin with (assuming the NHL experience hasn't let him down), and also keeping in mind that his twitter leaves the impression that he wants to come back to the Leafs next season, I'm going to guess that the matter is simply about getting an reasonable offer from Toronto and not about Toronto having to outbid Dynamo. He's a great player to have on the team and I absolutely want him back but obviously I don't want him for a high price tag but I also don't think he's going to try and out-price himself from a contract with the Leafs.

Mr Scarface*

If the Leafs don't offer enough for him, I can see Columbus trying to lure him. Kekäläinen definitely knows everything about Komarov and he'd fit in fine there.
I don't think Kekalainen has enough cash for Komarov. He is pretty, pretty expensive and surely wants all that money. Kekalainen will have to pay up big moneys for other expensive players who really enjoy swimming in cash. It's interesting to see where Komarov, Leo wants to swim. With the benjamins, or with the fishes?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If the Leafs don't offer enough for him, I can see Columbus trying to lure him. Kekäläinen definitely knows everything about Komarov and he'd fit in fine there.

He's an RFA and the Leafs hold his rights which means that Columbus can't go near him. The best they can do is negotiate with Nonis for his rights and that's it.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
<---- leafs fan, lost avatar bet

i like komorov. good 4th liner. good on the PK.

and i think he'll improve going forward. this season, he couldn't really score. he didn't get a lot of good shots on net. but i think he has the potential to improve. so at the moment, he's a good 4th liner... maybe in a year or two, he could play on a 3rd checking line and might actually start to generate some offense

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
<---- leafs fan, lost avatar bet

i like komorov. Good 4th liner. Good on the pk.

And i think he'll improve going forward. This season, he couldn't really score. He didn't get a lot of good shots on net. But i think he has the potential to improve. So at the moment, he's a good 4th liner... Maybe in a year or two, he could play on a 3rd checking line and might actually start to generate some offense

boooo this man!

but yeah he can stay if his asking price isn't too high.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The salary cap in the KHL is close to half of what it is in the NHL. Not sure where the idea that a KHL can pay better comes from.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The salary cap in the KHL is close to half of what it is in the NHL. Not sure where the idea that a KHL can pay better comes from.

I don't believe the KHL has the same kind of restrictions on individual player salary as the NHL does. For example, in the NHL, no player can make more than 20% of the salary cap. In the KHL, you can pay one guy 90% of your salary cap and use the 10% on the rest of your roster if you wanted to.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He can play hockey reasonably well on the 4th line and slide up so yes keep him.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I don't believe the KHL has the same kind of restrictions on individual player salary as the NHL does. For example, in the NHL, no player can make more than 20% of the salary cap. In the KHL, you can pay one guy 90% of your salary cap and use the 10% on the rest of your roster if you wanted to.

No-one is going to try to pay Leo Komarov more than 20% of the salary cap (about $6m based on last year's cap).

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Tax free? Paying 40-50% in taxes, especially for a guy who is quite comfortable playing in Russia is a tough pill to swallow.

It's lower, but it's not tax-free (flat 13%). Even the top rate of 29% won't really make the KHL that attractive for Komarov.

Outside of the lockout, the only Russian players that have gone over were paid decently there and only offered league minimum (or close) contracts in the NHL.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Likely the difference in roles. He's looking at a 4th line role in the NHL with 4th line money. In the KHL, he'll be playing a larger role, so some think he'll get more money. Add in the lower taxes and it's possible (not a given) that he'd make more money in Europe.

I doubt he goes to the KHL if he's offered an NHL job though.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I wouldn't mind if he left, only because we have so many future 3rd/4th liners coming up in the system (Biggs, Broll, Ross, Leivo).

But I think he really likes it here in Toronto and the fans are enjoying his play. I have to admit it would hurt to see him go. Love him against the Canadiens, they get so mad.

What? Both Biggs and Leivo are projected to be much more.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Don't really like him publicly talking about it, but whatever. I like him in the role he had this year. I hope he's back for under $1.5M.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
I can see that Komarov signs for another year in Toronto. After that he knows for sure whether he can make it to a more offensive role in the NHL or whether he is better of in Moscow.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ashton looked real good this playoffs, should be an upgrade to Komarov if he lives up to his 1st rd pick status, at recently turned 23 now, Carter may be on his way to doing this next season.

Mr Scarface*

Ashton looked real good this playoffs, should be an upgrade to Komarov if he lives up to his 1st rd pick status, at recently turned 23 now, Carter may be on his way to doing this next season.
Ok. So Ashton will hit more than 300 times next season. :biglaugh:
Not.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Agree. I think letting them develop in the AHL next season is a good idea. Both will develop into top six forwards despite having high work ethic. Leivo, especially, seems like a two-way goal scorer, while Biggs - may not produce at PPG - will be essential in top six lines.

I don't think anyone is expecting Biggs or Leivo to be PPG players.

It would miraculous if either become that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad