Does Komarov stay?

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Why would he leave? he came here because he won the KHL title and wanted to move to the NHL.

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
@dchesnokov: #Leafs Komarov: "Won't hide it - I've held negotiations with Dynamo [KHL], but I'm waiting for an offer from Toronto." (via RIAN)

it'll depend on what he will get offered.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
We better not pay more then 1.5 on a 4th liner despite the boards fascination with him, gotta be smart.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Love Leo's game, but my guess is that he's gone. He'll likely get offered more money from the KHL and like most professional athletes, will take the best offer available to him. I'd love for Nonis to resign him, but I'm not willing to overpay. ~1.5 million is more than adequate, we can't handicap the team for a player like Komarov. He's not irreplaceable.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
It's just not money. Komarov stated that he loved his life in moscow and it was close to Finland. Komarov was the most popular player in moscow. I hope he stays in the NHL but nothing is certain.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Love Leo's game, but my guess is that he's gone. He'll likely get offered more money from the KHL and like most professional athletes, will take the best offer available to him. I'd love for Nonis to resign him, but I'm not willing to overpay. ~1.5 million is more than adequate, we can't handicap the team for a player like Komarov. He's not irreplaceable.

You mean most people in general

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I would like him to stay, but he can easily be replaced by D'amigo, Ashton, Devane

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
if he wants more than 1.5m let him go, we got ross and biggs who will come up soon that can replace him.

agreed. anything above 1.5 is overpayment for a guy who hits and grinds. love to have him back, but can't overpay to keep him especially when the cap is going down.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Yup, he's outta here. This sucks. He's already become a fan favorite and over time would have become a lot bigger. KHL is too enticing for these guys..play closer to home and receive more money? I'd take that any day.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Look at another heavy hitter: Cal Clutterbuck received a 3-year, $4.2M contract ($1.4M/year) on the strength of a 74GP-13G-8A-21P-356 hit season in 2008-09.

Komarov was on pace for 7G-9A-16P-310 hits in 74 games this season.

I agree that anything over $1.5M would be an overpayment. Really like his game, though.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
top line in the KHL and apparently a star on his team too

but the NHL is the NHL

And ths stanley cup is the stanley cup. All posturing i'm sure, he will be back, seems to be liked by his mates, and enjoyed his time here. He has already said the NHL is the best league in the world, and having a taste of the playoffs doesnt hurt either.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
That would be a major step backward for this franchise. You might as well just forget about goal scoring from that line entirely. I hope Komarov goes back to the KHL. To me he has proven countless times this year that when given the opportunity to score, the dude simply does not know how to bury (same thing applies to Grabovski but I won't get into that in this thread). Aside from the rare exception, guys that love to throw their body around, but have absolutely no idea how to score, (or handle the puck for that matter) do not last very long in this league. Komarov hustles like crazy and I don't want to discredit him for his effort that he puts in, but at the end of the day I'd much rather see his roster spot given to a Marlies player that deserves it more.

Its posts like these that remind me why I changed my username. A whole lot of contradiction in your post.

Mr Scarface*

THis is very interesting to see also. I'm excited to see if we want to go for that road of keeping a player who is smart, hitter, intelligent, defensively oriented and fighter spirit. But who doesn't play that OVER agrressive game like (Tootoo etc). Komarov is smarter as a hockey player than many others, but he is not the most aggressive hitman like (tucker and corson etc). It's very intesrting to see if we keep him now. He played very good. So many hits... so many. and smart plays

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Look at another heavy hitter: Cal Clutterbuck received a 3-year, $4.2M contract ($1.4M/year) on the strength of a 74GP-13G-8A-21P-356 hit season in 2008-09.

Komarov was on pace for 7G-9A-16P-310 hits in 74 games this season.

I agree that anything over $1.5M would be an overpayment. Really like his game, though.

This. He's a good guy to have on the team but not all that difficult and/or expensive to replace.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
If Komarov leaves its a shame, but not much more than that. He's a great team guy, a real effective 3rd line checking winger, with a huge emphasis on CHECKING in that title.

But, do the Leafs really relinquish a lot of depth with his departure if it comes to fruition?

Although stats would say NO, I say yes. He's a 26 year old who plays like a 30 year old. He gets in the tough areas, and doesnt give ANY free ice to players. Leafs should be trying to lock this guy up for 2-3 years + if the price is right. I go back and forth with his overall value, but his precense alone is worth it in my opinion.

Mr Scarface*

This. He's a good guy to have on the team but not all that difficult and/or expensive to replace.
To me also this and Duke Silver's post indicate that there is nowadays a fine competition between the KHL and the NHL leagues. Wow that KHL russians are really being able to make these offers. Here again. Komarov getting that big paycheck. Maybe even more than the leafs are willing to give. Also this indicates that there is fine line between many players in the NHL league today. Competition is hard. Some even more aggressive guerilla warfare players would replace Komarov immediately if he doesn't sign. It's real easy to seeeeee that players today must possess one or two special qualities like "hitting" or "smurfing" or "mushrooming" so they can even play in the NHL. Komarov could be gone, even after his fine, very fine nhl season. I don't think this was the case in the 90's NHL for example. It's pretty fascinating.

snizzbone*

Not sure why a few people in here are saying Komarov is 'easily replaceable'. Komarov was one of the best in the league at what he does. Most teams would love to have him. I'm sure if he was a UFA (is he?), he'd get a ton of interest.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If the Leafs don't offer enough for him, I can see Columbus trying to lure him. Kekäläinen definitely knows everything about Komarov and he'd fit in fine there.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Not sure why a few people in here are saying Komarov is 'easily replaceable'. Komarov was one of the best in the league at what he does. Most teams would love to have him. I'm sure if he was a UFA (is he?), he'd get a ton of interest.

Komarov is a RFA, but his KHL option gives him an UFA-like bargaining chip. His value is related to having a reasonable contract. A $1.5M cap hit seems about right. I think and hope a deal with the Leafs will get done, but he's not a player (few are) to give an overpayment.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

There are checking line players available every free agency, and yes, some as good or even better than Leo Komarov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad