Does Kessel fit into the long term plans of the Leafs?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I knew a majority would vote YES since Kessel score goals.
For me scoring goals is of course important but going forward that should not be the only requirement for a key player on this team. And lets face it, the money he is making an the money he will be making after his next contract he will be THE key player for us. Having a negative +- (yes, I know, a flawed stat) is not saved by the goals he score. He have been sniffing around 40 goals but so far have managed it so it is not as he is one of the best goal scorers either. For me Kessel is part of the problem of what is wrong with this team and I would not feel sorry for a second if he was traded for a player who perhaps does not possess his talents but who give his all every game in every area of the ice in every game situation. Then you get true value for your money.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
You think we could get Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Jeff Skinner, Sean Couturier, or Gabriel Landeskog 1-for-1 for Phil Kessel?

Most Leafs fans actually seem to believe that. The same fans say Phaneuf is a legit #1 d-man even do he cant defend so save his life.

Hockey IQ and a polished overall game is so underrated at this site. All about the highlights.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Most Leafs fans actually seem to believe that. The same fans say Phaneuf is a legit #1 d-man even do he cant defend so save his life.

Hockey IQ and a polished overall game is so underrated at this site. All about the highlights.

If anything, it's overrated.

Have you seen Phaneuf's adv. stats? He's a better defender than anyone gives him credit for and easily the best on the team.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Have you seen Phaneuf's adv. stats? He's a better defender than anyone gives him credit for and easily the best on the team.

I would say Gunnarsson is the best defender on this team. Calm and controlled in defensive situations. Able to make a smooth pass out of his zone or skate out with it him self if needed. I would rank Gardiner 2nd (but with the potential to become the best) and Dion only 3rd.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
And lets face it, the money he is making an the money he will be making after his next contract he will be THE key player for us.

Why? Almost every top team has 2-4 players making the money Kessel makes. I really don't understand why some seem to think it's Kessel OR instead of Kessel AND. We can add more good players. We should add more good players.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Why? Almost every top team has 2-4 players making the money Kessel makes. I really don't understand why some seem to think it's Kessel OR instead of Kessel AND. We can add more good players. We should add more good players.

And that is why it is so important to spend the money wisely on the right kind of players, a goal scoring winger is not one of those if you want success.
Boston figured out that to keep their other key players they could not hang on to Kessel despite his talents seeing as not only would he not buy in to the overall team tactics and philosophy but his salary would mean they would have to turn a player away who would.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

There are more Leafs fans who claim that other Leafs fans overrate players then there are Leafs fans overrating players.

Seriously, if you made a poll, I bet 90% of respondents would claim that 90% of the fanbase overrates players.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Please.

I've looked at these things.

"Advanced" stats don't tell you anything beyond inter-team comparisons of players.

They won't tell you anything about how a player on one team compares to another.

So yes, while Phaneuf and Gunnarsson were our best pairing, they also bled goals against and the team finished 5th last.

Like being the smartest kid in remedial math.

MajorityRules*

Never ceases to amaze me how some fans are never happy with what they have. I can't remember the last time the Leafs had a young sniper like Kessel. I do remember watching Bure, Selanne, Bossy etc racking up goals and thinking, wouldn't it be great if the Leafs had a player like that. Looking back now, I'm sure there would be some fans that would even scrutinize those guys, picking on their defensive liabilities.

Oh well, just no pleasing some people.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You think we could get Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Jeff Skinner, Sean Couturier, or Gabriel Landeskog 1-for-1 for Phil Kessel?

Possibly Couturier but very doubtful any of those guys would bring in Phil Kessel.

Especially since they could just sign him as a UFA after next season.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Never ceases to amaze me how some fans are never happy with what they have. I can't remember the last time the Leafs had a young sniper like Kessel. I do remember watching Bure, Selanne, Bossy etc racking up goals and thinking, wouldn't it be great if the Leafs had a player like that. Looking back now, I'm sure there would be some fans that would even scrutinize those guys, picking on their defensive liabilities.

Selanne never won a Cup until he played a supporting role on a team well into his career, with a team of two-way defence-first players.

Bure never won a Cup.

As a Leafs fan, I personally don't give a **** who plays on the team, just as long as the team is winning.

The Leafs have won dickity do with Kessel on the team.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Selanne never won a Cup until he played a supporting role on a team well into his career, with a team of two-way defence-first players.

Bure never won a Cup.

As a Leafs fan, I personally don't give a **** who plays on the team, just as long as the team is winning.

The Leafs have won dickity do with Kessel on the team.

Good post and is spot on what I said in my post above.

When it comes to skaters, first of all you build a strong core of 2-way players, defenders and centers then you add wingers to suit the style you want to play. But the basics first of all. We have done it the other way around. We have added some nice supporting players and wish that those core pieces will drop in to our laps.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

No different than the ones who use to call for Sundin's head and yell "give Domi the C'.

There will always be a very vocal minority that doesn't really understand what they are watching.

As for Kessel, of course he fits into the long term plans. The Leafs will be a good Team again once Phil is the 2nd best forward.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
For now I'd say yes he does fit. He contributed a lot. Although there are better options --- not that many better options. We keep Kessel unless we can get at least 2 top 10 overall picks (1 of which is top 5). Or if we get a player like Matt Duchene+ (long term right?).

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
yes, at the right cost

I don't think Kessel can be your top paid player and if thats the type of money he's going to want then they should move him now.

I'm still not convinced Kessel is more than a Havlat

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Of course Kessel fits into the long-term plans.

I'd just like to see it be on the basis of a complementary player (which is no fault of his own that he isn't right now).

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
yes, at the right cost

I don't think Kessel can be your top paid player and if thats the type of money he's going to want then they should move him now.

I'm still not convinced Kessel is more than a Havlat

Havlat dont have Kessel talent but is a better overall player. Semin is the player I think of when I think of Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad