Does Kessel fit into the long term plans of the Leafs?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Gilmour was a great player that made the entire team better defensively, offensively, and leadership wise.

Kessel is a very good scorer, he has yet to reach that level. He hasn't shown the ability to carry a franchise as Gilmour did, as Sundin did. Maybe he's not capable of this, he certainly has tried. He said as much in an interview 2 seasons ago saying it isn't working out here, obcourse he said he meant something different, but clearly he is frustrated. He wants to win, not happening here this year.
Or maybe, you know, he actually meant something different?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
At times Kessel has frustrated me, but I never thought he shouldn't be apart of our future. Kessel-Lupul combo has been great, but there downfall is defence... as deadly as they are together I wouldn't be against splitting them up for a better overall line. When or if we ever get a number 1 C, Kessel will be so valuable. Put Kessel with a strong defensive play making centre and another solid power forward on the left and that could be a very dominant line.

JVR - Getzlaf - Kessel
Lupul - Grabo - kulemin

pretty crazy how much potent that top 6 could be with one player

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Steven Stamkos is #1 followed closely by Ovi. After that it gets interesting. I'd probably put Kessel lower than Sid, Malkin, Kovy, and Gaborik, but above guys like Marleau, Sedin, and potentially Iggy. Oh and over Eberle everyday of the week. So maybe the #7 one-shot scorer in the league?
Hence the arguably part.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why would that be any different? Why would John Tavarez want to stick around for another five years in Long Island? If Edmonton is bottom three again this year, why would Eberle, Hall, RNH wanna stick around? How could you respect them if they did?

Oilers are a young team, none of those guys have been apart of a losing culture as long as Kessel in Toronto. Plus Oilers have a good amount of young talent by tanking so they are growing together. Kessel is older than Rielly, Percy, Biggs and whoever we draft this year, this is the difference. He's nearing 27 and he doesn't have the time of a RNH, Hall or Yakupov to grow and wait out another rebuild.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Oilers are a young team, none of those guys have been apart of a losing culture as long as Kessel in Toronto. Plus Oilers have a good amount of young talent by tanking so they are growing together. Kessel is older than Rielly, Percy, Biggs and whoever we draft this year, this is the difference. He's nearing 27 and he doesn't have the time of a RNH, Hall or Yakupov to grow and wait out another rebuild.
Who's nearing 27? He's 25.
I guess if they're younger you'll respect them more for wanting to play for a lousy team eh?

And yes, I get the fact that Edmonton is 'young' while Toronto is obviously a veteran land team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Who's nearing 27? He's 25.
I guess if they're younger you'll respect them more for wanting to play for a lousy team eh?

And yes, I get the fact that Edmonton is 'young' while Toronto is obviously a veteran land team.

He's a UFA next year, that is not a lot of time. Maybe when Tavares gets to the point of Nash, then Kessel, he will bolt too. And if the Oilers don't turn it around too, it will happen to their players too.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
He's a UFA next year, that is not a lot of time. Maybe when Tavares gets to the point of Nash, then Kessel, he will bolt too. And if the Oilers don't turn it around too, it will happen to their players too.

Thought Grabo was your archnemesis? You made your choice, leave Kessel be. He already stated he is happy here.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Well, Tavares has already shown he has no interest in winning by signing that long term deal with the Isles. No compete at all in that guy...

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Relax dude I wasn't attacking anyone; just sharing my opinion. Feel free to chip in your rankings :nod:

No worries, didn't mean to come off so harsh.

In my ranks, the only pure sniper ahead of Kessel is Stammer. There are better players for sure, but for pure snipes, that's where I put him.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Nope... I don;t know how a young all star goal scorer would fit into the long-term future of a team wanting to build now with good young talent... nope, I don't see it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well, Tavares has already shown he has no interest in winning by signing that long term deal with the Isles. No compete at all in that guy...

If I remember correctly and I will check back after I go to cap geek, it was a contract to the age of 27-28, exactly the UFA age. I think you are missing this point with Nash, Kessel, and maybe Tavares.

Players have no choice until they hit 27 or the UFA stage on what team they are on, unless the parent team trades them.

Perry and Getzlaf can leave now if they don't like the direction of the team, comparing young players is not accurate, because they have no choice unless they pull a Kessel, but the team can still match. As Stamkos found out last year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tavares is signed till the 17-18 season as per cap geek, as suspected he is a UFA at 28. Free to leave the NY Isles if he chooses to.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

That's because he basically has to.

Restricted free agency and unrestricted free agency are no where near the same thing.

Please read up on the CBA.

jojacinto2

Jan 14, 2013
I think the fans like/love Phil, and want him to stay in Toronto. It seems the only people who question him or want him traded are the "know-it-all" hocky "experts?" on the radio and tv. Kessel is a top 5 goal scorer in the NHL, and a top 10 point producer. He can't necessarily carry a team on his back,...but once Toronto start accumulating more elite players,...his value will show even more.:handclap:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I think the fans like/love Phil, and want him to stay in Toronto. It seems the only people who question him or want him traded are the "know-it-all" hocky "experts?" on the radio and tv. Kessel is a top 5 goal scorer in the NHL, and a top 10 point producer. He can't necessarily carry a team on his back,...but once Toronto start accumulating more elite players,...his value will show even more.:handclap:

It's been years since Kessel was acquired.

No help has arrived.

jojacinto2

Jan 14, 2013
Lupul, JVR , Dion, Gardiner.

Lupul and Kessel were both in top ten scoring for much of last year. JVR,.....who know's how he is going to play, considering his injuries. And Gardiner is injured. Soon as the leafs acquired Kessel,...I was hoping they could get Marc Savard too. Maybe he wouldn't have gotten the concussion problems he did,...playing in Toronto. That would have been lights out,....because on a massively defensive team like Julien's Bruins,...Savard (and I think Kessel) were in the top 5 and 10 in points in the NHL, whil playing in Boston, respectively. :)

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Steven Stamkos is #1 followed closely by Ovi. After that it gets interesting. I'd probably put Kessel lower than Sid, Malkin, Kovy, and Gaborik, but above guys like Marleau, Sedin, and potentially Iggy. Oh and over Eberle everyday of the week. So maybe the #7 one-shot scorer in the league?

I think of Sid, Malkin as playmakers (but obviously they can score). Kovy is probably better. In a sense of a "pure sniper", probably a toss between Kessel and Gaborik.

Stam, Ovie, Kovy, Kessel/Gab. Pretty elite group of players at a young age.

Worth of kessel is equal to Seguin, Hall, Eberle, Murry, Skinner, Duchene, Fowler, Couts, Huberdeau, Landeskog contrary to the belief that he's "worthless" in leaf land.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Worth of kessel is equal to Seguin, Hall, Eberle, Murry, Skinner, Duchene, Fowler, Couts, Huberdeau, Landeskog contrary to the belief that he's "worthless" in leaf land.

You think we could get Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Jeff Skinner, Sean Couturier, or Gabriel Landeskog 1-for-1 for Phil Kessel?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad