Does Kessel fit into the long term plans of the Leafs?

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
There seems to be split opinions on Kessel and whether he's a player that fits in the long term plans of this franchise.

Some suggest that he should be traded now, either for an equal caliber player or younger assets, reasons including that some think he will walk away as an UFA, or some fear that his style of play isn't going to fair well with this team in the future. Others believe he's an important piece to have while this franchise trends toward becoming a playoff team and hopefully a cup contender at some point.

He's signed for two more seasons, with a limited NTC/NMC in the last season. 25 year old who went for 82 points in 82 games last season.

Philkessel

Sep 21, 2009
Yea who wants a point per game player moving forward.

He can not be our best player if we want to contend for the cup though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the leafs clearly have no need to fit one of the top scorers in the world in their future plans.

silly question.

Irish Leaf

Jul 11, 2012
Kildare
The only reason i said no now i love Phil he's an excellent player but he's wasted here, he's the type of player you add when your a contender looking for that little extra to set you over the edge. Hes not the sort of guy you build around. He's a luxury player we cant afford we haven't got the corner stones in place yet.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The only reason i said no now i love Phil he's an excellent player but he's wasted here, he's the type of player you add when your a contender looking for that little extra to set you over the edge. Hes not the sort of guy you build around. He's a luxury player we cant afford we haven't got the corner stones in place yet.

We already have him, why would we let him walk?

If we draft a high end C this summer, and re-sign Kessel long term, thats 2/3 of a top line already on the team.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

A top 10 scorer in the league is a little extra? That would be the trade of the century.

Irish Leaf

Jul 11, 2012
Kildare
A top 10 scorer in the league is a little extra? That would be the trade of the century.

I mean it in the same sense as the rangers trading for Nash he looks the piece to give them the extra fire power to get over the line. No need to be so pedantic over wording.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I mean it in the same sense as the rangers trading for Nash he looks the piece to give them the extra fire power to get over the line. No need to be so pedantic over wording.

But why wait to acquire a high end winger? Weve spent the assets already. Long time ago. They're gone.

Its debatable whether we spent the assets to get him at the right time, but now that weve got him I see no reason to let him go.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site

Yeah and if the Rangers had Nash last year they might have won the Cup.

The point is to accumulate pieces that help you win. It doesn't matter what order you acquire them in.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Leafs need to get tougher, if Kessel is to stay, then other players like Connelly, Kadri, Bozak, Lombardi, and to a lesser degree Lupul and Grabbo will have to be replaced with tougher players. Leafs can't afford to have the likes of Boston and Philly completely dominating them. It's no coincidence Kessel has a hard time against Boston.............

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think if he wants to he does.

I just personally think theres a good chance he may want out by the time hes a free agent.
-we've never made the playoffs while he's been here. Im sure he'd prefer to play for a contender
- media scrutiny. He obviously doesnt particularly like interviews
- Carlyle. He wanted out of Boston because of Julien and the defensive system. If Carlyle isnt as free with him as Wilson was, he may feel restricted.

Hopefully im wrong and he signs longterm at a reasonable price. Because thats the other thing, considering his one-dimensional game, I wouldnt want a huge caphit out of him (relatively speaking).

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Leafs need to get tougher, if Kessel is to stay, then other players like Connelly, Kadri, Bozak, Lombardi, and to a lesser degree Lupul and Grabbo will have to be replaced with tougher players. Leafs can't afford to have the likes of Boston and Philly completely dominating them. It's no coincidence Kessel has a hard time against Boston.............

Grabo doesnt belong in this conversation. Hes gritty and tough. Hes just not belligerent

RogerRoeper*

Yes. Offer him a huge 8 year-deal very soon. He's an elite talent.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think if he wants to he does.

I just personally think theres a good chance he may want out by the time hes a free agent.
-we've never made the playoffs while he's been here. Im sure he'd prefer to play for a contender
- media scrutiny. He obviously doesnt particularly like interviews
- Carlyle. He wanted out of Boston because of Julien and the defensive system. If Carlyle isnt as free with him as Wilson was, he may feel restricted.

Hopefully im wrong and he signs longterm at a reasonable price. Because thats the other thing, considering his one-dimensional game, I wouldnt want a huge caphit out of him (relatively speaking).

put yourself in Kessel's shoes, he come to Toronto amidst a storm of trading away the future for him, team does a nose dive, misses playoffs only exemplifying how bad a trade it was because Kessel has no one to play with. Why would he want to stay? Can you imagine how good he'd look on a good team?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Grabo doesnt belong in this conversation. Hes gritty and tough. Hes just not belligerent

I get what you mean, but heart only goes so far, Grabbo will go head to head with Chara, but he's not winning any of those battles, then again who would?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He wont be in the plans if he walks.

You'd be surprised by some of the opinions on these boards.

He wont even be here.Next year he can't be traded.So what you are saying is take the risk of trading Seguin and Hamilton for nothing?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Wow, 30% of voters really think a 25 year old top ten scorer does not figure into our long term plans? Either we have a large contingent of non leaf fans on here tonight or a large contingent of people who should probably refrain from ever discussing hockey again....

Only if Leaf Nation....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad