Does Jim Benning get a contract extension --- YES/NO

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I am not exactly the most defending person of benning, you would have to go to reddit for that.

But year to year he has gotten significantly better, and it obviously shows he is learning from his mistakes.

Especially with trades + Drafting.

EP was a skill pick, this entire draft was all about skill skill skill.

If they did that before I doubt we get Gaudette, but we probably get some other offensive guys.

I say we shouldn't resign him, but he will prob get resigned, unless linden gets fired.

Just a couple months ago he was going to trade Gudbranson for 29 year old Demers. Thank god he didn't waive. That could've been a first round pick easily if the rumors of him getting better offers than Tanev are true. That could've been potentially another Boeser.

Elias Pettersson was all Brackett.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Just a couple months ago he was going to trade Gudbranson for 29 year old Demers. Thank god he didn't waive. That could've been a first round pick easily if the rumors of him getting better offers than Tanev are true. That could've been potentially another Boeser.

Elias Pettersson was all Brackett.

That was later corrected to Sutter.

Either way, Demers >> both Sutter/Gud.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
The Tryamkin pick was our Russian scout who liked him for years.
Demko was Brackett.
Forsling was obviously Gradin.
Stewart and Petit were Benning.

Odd in six years Gillis the only good choices were Horvat and Hutton.
Not even lucky choices in the later rounds.

But under Benning they've chosen Demko, Tryamkin, Forsling, Gaudette, Brisebois, Boeser, Juolevi, Lockwood, Elias Pettersson, Kole Lind, Gadjovich, Dipietro. & I still have hope for Virtanen!

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well, that might be the worst hockey opinion I have ever seen, among many here.

Tony Gallagher has already stated that the Virtanen pick was influenced by ownership.

Like drugs Benning should have just said no. Cause, like, he's supposed to be the super scout or something.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

But under Benning they've chosen Demko, Tryamkin, Forsling, Gaudette, Brisebois, Boeser, Juolevi, Lockwood, Elias Pettersson, Kole Lind, Gadjovich, Dipietro. & I still have hope for Virtanen!

None of those guy have exceeded the career of NHL bust Hodgson....heck, NONE of them has exceeded the career of Eddie Lack. So before you pat Benning's back (THREE TOP 6 OR BETTER PICKS [Benning] vs ONE 9th & ONE 10th overall pick [Gillis]), you might want to wait at least a few seasons.

And what the **** good does it to draft a guy like Forsling if you're going to deal him away for ****?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
That was later corrected to Sutter.

Either way, Demers >> both Sutter/Gud.

Gudbranson returns a first round pick at worse 2 2nds from a dinosaur GM.

That's worth more to this team than a 29 year old Demers.

Sutter for Demers would have been whatever unless they proceeded to trade Tanev for a big package. Doubt Benning can think 2 steps ahead.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Doubt Benning can think

:naughty::sarcasm:

Tony Gallagher has already stated that the Virtanen pick was influenced by ownership.
NHL super scout was so confident in his abilities so as to not try & change the opinion of Aquaman. And if he's so "good" at that - why would you have him as a negotiator vs REAL HOCKEY minds like the other NHL GMs in trades/aquisitions/etc., (vs an amateur wanna be GM like Aquaman?)

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

None of these players did anything significant in the NHL level yet.

Plus, drafting is only one of the many reasons Benning should be fired. A top line of Pastrnack Nylander and Tkachuk is what we could've worked with. But Benning is just terrible at every aspect of being a GM - he can't talk to the press properly, he doesn't know how to negotiate, he doesn't learn from his mistakes, he thinks draft picks are works of the Devil, he signs colossal contracts to bad players, and he doesn't understand how to utilize cap space to his advantage.

The list goes on and on.

Gillis' draft is no good, at least he was good at other parts of his job and brought the team 1 win away from the cup.

All Benning did was turning this team into a joke.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Gudbranson returns a first round pick at worse 2 2nds from a dinosaur GM.

That's worth more to this team than a 29 year old Demers.

Sutter for Demers would have been whatever unless they proceeded to trade Tanev for a big package. Doubt Benning can think 2 steps ahead.

The only GM that would trade that much for Gud already has. Doubt another one is that stupid.

Trading Sutter for cap space would be a positive return.

Demers is a decent top-4 D. In ability alone he's better than Sutter and Gud.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Your listing guys who aren't "anything" either. Frank Corrado looked as good as any of those guys after his D+1 and 2. Same for Cole Cassels, Anton Rodin, and Kevin Connauton.

You're simply listing guys Benning has drafted, not successes.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Apparently he is signed until 2019 according to the what is benning doing thread.

Can anybody confirm this????

Any news release on Benning's hire doesn't specifically say the term of his contract. I am pretty sure this is his last year.

Twitter says he is in his final year as he signed a 4 year deal
1) 14/15
2) 15/16
3) 16/17
4) 17/18 (Final year)

For First Time GM to get a 5 year deal would be such a Trevor Linden thing to do though.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Do you visualize Trevor Linden making an announcement that Benning is being relieved..?...I don't see it happening...May as well make the thread Benning and Linden together..

Are the Aqualinis ready to overhaul the whole management group again?..

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Do you visualize Trevor Linden making an announcement that Benning is being relieved..?...I don't see it happening...May as well make the thread Benning and Linden together..

Hard to say, because when one's own ass is on the line, one's willing to do anything to save oneself.

Desperation is a monstrous emotion that will devour our minds very easily.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015

Might be too much money involved in paying people NOT to be working for you (money isn't rolling in as much to the Aquaman vaults as before). Or rather, they'd rather not be paying for multiple GMs/Presidents/coaches at the same time.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Hard to say, because when one's own ass is on the line, one's willing to do anything to save oneself.

Desperation is a monstrous emotion that will devour our minds very easily.

Don't think so..I think if Linden was an outright puppett to the Aqualini's, he would simply quit....He's already a successful businessman..He doesn't to jump through hoops anymore (not to mention he now has a newborn son)..

Benning and Linden are one of the same..They both subscribe to the exact same theories on running a team,and have together since day one..So why would Linden fire Benning?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I can't see what he could do at this point to save his ass. Maybe some kind of TDL wizardry... but I dunno.

On the waaaaay farfetched chance the team actually makes the playoffs somehow, they will, without a doubt, be swept. Ownership will probably not be impressed.

Most likely they end up in the bottom 3 again. Ownership will not be impressed.

This is a lame duck season and Benning is a lame duck GM with a league-wide reputation, as a laughing-stock... which he mostly deserves.

He'll be gone, but I'm willing to bet that no matter who the next guy is, he's going to have a rough ride too. It's going to be hard to look smart GM'ing a team that's going to have its work cut out staying outside of the bottom 5 for the foreseeable future.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
It's going to be hard to look smart GM'ing a team that's going to have its work cut out staying outside of the bottom 5 for the foreseeable future.

Depends on how many additional Eriksson type contract Benning hands out. With a team that spends to the cap, how much of an accomplishment would be staying out of the bottom 5?

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Will see closer to season's end. For me it's almost all about the kids, not necessarily in the show, taking a step.

Big club performance is not that important for the time being. Seeing as rebuilds take 5-10 years I'm not expecting them to do much in their 4th, particular considering the hand they've been dealt. Also, per Aqua's trade deadline tweet we're only entering year 2 of rebuild.

Of course, if Chevy got extended... and I seem to remember some here thought him a decent GM, one they would take over Benning in a heartbeat. Funny stuff considering the dude has almost nothing on JB--other than lottery winning--and was dealt a better hand/young core pieces when assuming GM duties.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Ehlers is coming off a 64p season in his second year. His value is sky high.

Boeser is trending towards being a 1st/2nd line winger, which is incredible value for where he was picked. It was quite a good pick. If he becomes a 30-30-60 player, we should all be happy.

Baertschi has almost no value. What's he worth, maybe a 3rd? What team would actually want to acquire him?

Gaudette is trending real well, and will hopefully be a 3rd line center in the future.

Brisebois is looking to be a solid AHL defenseman and hopefully a 3rd pairing guy in the NHL.

All of them together aren't worth Ehlers. Just like we wouldn't trade Horvat for a pile of prospects.

How convenient that we can just blame all of his failures on ownership.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Can anybody confirm this????

Any news release on Benning's hire doesn't specifically say the term of his contract. I am pretty sure this is his last year.

Twitter says he is in his final year as he signed a 4 year deal
1) 14/15
2) 15/16
3) 16/17
4) 17/18 (Final year)

For First Time GM to get a 5 year deal would be such a Trevor Linden thing to do though.

Yes pls if someone can confirm this. I was saying in that thread that he will be let go after the 2018 season then someone mentioned his contract goes until 2019, but no one else seem to question it so I thought it's until 2019. Someone confirm. Best regards.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm almost 100% sure I've read/heard Benning got a 5 year deal. Isn't that the norm for general managers anyway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad