Does Jim Benning get a contract extension --- YES/NO

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Sorry but if you add our prospect depth + nylander and tkachuk, this team is not remotely as bad as it is now.

I would say that we would prob compete for a playoff spot with them.

We would prob lose a few players that were drafted higher in the 2nd rounder, but maybe get some gems.

It's so ****ing odd, I dono how he can draft so well after the 1st round, yet blows 90% of the time in round #1

Screwing up those first round drafts alone should absolutely get this lunatic fired, yet somehow it didn't.

And that's if I completely disregard the mountain of **** trades he made as well as the awful contracts he signed over the years.

No, there's no scenario we should allow this waste of human flesh anywhere NEAR the team ever again.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Screwing up those first round drafts alone should absolutely get this lunatic fired, yet somehow it didn't.

And that's if I completely disregard the mountain of **** trades he made as well as the awful contracts he signed over the years.

No, there's no scenario we should allow this waste of human flesh anywhere NEAR the team ever again.

I am not exactly the most defending person of benning, you would have to go to reddit for that.

But year to year he has gotten significantly better, and it obviously shows he is learning from his mistakes.

Especially with trades + Drafting.

EP was a skill pick, this entire draft was all about skill skill skill.

If they did that before I doubt we get Gaudette, but we probably get some other offensive guys.

I say we shouldn't resign him, but he will prob get resigned, unless linden gets fired.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I am not exactly the most defending person of benning, you would have to go to reddit for that.

But year to year he has gotten significantly better, and it obviously shows he is learning from his mistakes.

If they did that before I doubt we get Gaudette, but we probably get some other offensive guys.

I say we shouldn't resign him, but he will prob get resigned, unless linden gets fired.

No, learning from mistakes would involve getting more picks. His Dahlen trade was great, Goldobin was questionable. And from his interviews I can tell his attitude did not change much.

If Benning wants to prove he learned his lesson, fine. Get us a pick from 2018 first round, get rid of that ****ing idiot Sutter, and explored trade possibility of Edler/Tanev.

Given how much Benning screwed this organization, I think those are perfectly reasonable goals for a half competent GM to achieve.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sorry but if you add our prospect depth + nylander and tkachuk, this team is not remotely as bad as it is now.

We would prob lose a few players that were drafted higher in the 2nd rounder, but maybe get some gems.

It's so ****ing odd, I dono how he can draft so well after the 1st round, yet blows 90% of the time in round #1

So basically, you want what HF as a GM because that's what you would be getting. If only we could have HF draft for the first round, this team looks 100x better.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Definitely. He has time on his side. Benning's scouting will start to look better and better as the years go by.

No, his drafting will look worse as time goes by, as is the case for every GM everywhere. And as is already happening with the 2014 draft.

His 'good drafting' is basically limited to 3 picks from the USHL (Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood) that were all almost certainly entirely the work of Judd Brackett.

Benning is a terrible, terrible scout both at the amateur and professional levels.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
No, his drafting will look worse as time goes by, as is the case for every GM everywhere. And as is already happening with the 2014 draft.

His 'good drafting' is basically limited to 3 picks from the USHL (Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood) that were all almost certainly entirely the work of Judd Brackett.

Benning is a terrible, terrible scout both at the amateur and professional levels.

But wouldent you say giving the reigns to Judd Brackett so much is credit to jimbo tho?

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England

Odd that at the end of this post you say you wouldn't resign him. I see it exactly the same way and that's why i voted extend.

He's not perfect. He holds media scrums as if he's the reason you're donating $5 to a Canucks telethon. But he's worked out a lot of the rookie mistakes he was making in his early years and in my mind he has turned the corner. Why bin him now when he's just starting to have positive equity?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The funny thing is, if he dident **** up the virtanen and juolevi picks, I would honestly want him back

Those top picks are probably the biggest decisions he has had to make since he was hired along with this year's first round pick. So, botching them is a major failure. The other biggest decisions are probably the hiring of WD & the Kesler trade, also failures.

So, even in a fantasy world where every other smaller move he's made has been good, he's made major errors when it comes to the important decisions.

No way should he be extended and I think he might be punted by Christmas anyway.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Nobody is a perfect drafter (except Mr. Hindsight).

I think Benning is a good drafter, and as the years go by this will reveal itself more and more. Look at the Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, etc. picks as ones that confused fans early on only to gradually reveal the genius behind them.

Moreover, Benning has been only able to assemble his scouting system and team recently, so drafting will only get better.

At this point, one can only speculate, however, so your opinion on his drafting is just as valid as mine.

Looks like Ryan Miller has returned.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The poll didn't ask for what we want to happen, but only what will happen. So it's not our opinion, but our best guess into Aqualini's thoughts. Considering Aqualini hired JB, I think he will extend him.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
The 2014 draft wasn't really Benning's draft. You saw it in the Virtanen pick - multiple sources have indicated this was predetermined prior to Benning's arrival. You saw it in the McCann pick - taking a centre from the OHL, how original for the Canucks! Then there were reports that Benning never really liked McCann much. Some chaff from the WHL, usual.

A couple picks were clearly Benning's, i.e. Tryamkin - taking a Russian was a complete departure from the previous Canuck drafting philosophy. And Demko - taking a goalie in the second round was also a departure.

Benning's scouting system was only fully put in place this off-season. Also, Benning was the person who promoted Brackett quickly through the ranks.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Getting Boeser, Baertschi, Gaudette and Brisebois out of the 2015 draft is reason enough for Benning to stay. That's heroic.

2017 draft looks similarly foundational.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The 2014 draft wasn't really Benning's draft. You saw it in the Virtanen pick - multiple sources have indicated this was predetermined prior to Benning's arrival. You saw it in the McCann pick - taking a centre from the OHL, how original for the Canucks! Then there were reports that Benning never really liked McCann much. Some chaff from the WHL, usual.

A couple picks were clearly Benning's, i.e. Tryamkin - taking a Russian was a complete departure from the previous Canuck drafting philosophy. And Demko - taking a goalie in the second round was also a departure.

Benning's scouting system was only fully put in place this off-season. Also, Benning was the person who promoted Brackett quickly through the ranks.

The Virtanen and McCann picks were 100% Benning. Exactly what he looks for in a player, and he even said he wanted a center when asked why he picked McCann over Goldobin.

The Tryamkin pick was our Russian scout who liked him for years.
Demko was Brackett.
Forsling was obviously Gradin.
Stewart and Petit were Benning.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Getting Boeser, Baertschi, Gaudette and Brisebois out of the 2015 draft is reason enough for Benning to stay. That's heroic.

Brisebois isn't that great. Baertschi sucks. Boeser and Gaudette are because of Brackett.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Man, now even Benning is getting credit for Tryamkin. I'll save MS time...

Our Russian scout Sergei Chibisev was tracking and pushing for Tryamkin for a year before Benning was ever hired. And there's a draft interview posted on Canucks.com where Benning didn't even know what league Tryamkin was playing in.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Not a GM's job, especially on their first draft to have scouted each player extensively. More about trusting individual scouts. Benning has navigated the morass of the past regime's scouting system adequately, and only been able to reconfigure it this past offseason.

The Virtanen and McCann picks were 100% Benning. Exactly what he looks for in a player, and he even said he wanted a center when asked why he picked McCann over Goldobin.

The Tryamkin pick was our Russian scout who liked him for years.
Demko was Brackett.
Forsling was obviously Gradin.
Stewart and Petit were Benning.
All speculation that goes against multiple media reports, and thus indicative of bias in your arguments.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Benning was employed by Boston in a position that required him to scout the 2014 draft class. The thought that he then turned over his first draft as GM with multiple first round picks without any involvement is completely ridiculous.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Benning was employed by Boston in a position that required him to scout the 2014 draft class. The thought that he then turned over his first draft as GM with multiple first round picks without any involvement is completely ridiculous.

Agreed. Ryan Miller think he had no involvement in the virtanen and mccann picks lmao.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Just so we are the same page...

Jim is on his last year of his deal. so he is a lame duck gm as is weisbrod.

Ryan Johnson is being groomed and Judd Brackett is really moving up the ranks

Trevor Linden is very safe.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Let's not crown him a great late round drafter until they start actually making the Canucks

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Voted yes. I believe the franchise wants to give him one more chance at punting a top pick before he leaves.

I would happily trade Boeser, Baertschi, Gaudette and Brisebois for Ehlers alone. His one failed pick in 2014 negates the ENTIRE 2015 draft and then some. His pick was so atrocious that it would have been better for this franchise if he made the right pick in 2014 and then just traded our entire 2015 draft board for future considerations.

Jesus christ is Benning bad at drafting.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
just so we are the same page...

Jim is on his last year of his deal. So he is a lame duck gm as is weisbrod.

Ryan johnson is being groomed and judd brackett is really moving up the ranks

trevor linden is very safe.

100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad