Does Jim Benning get a contract extension --- YES/NO

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I may be wrong but I think this is the Final Year of Jim Benning's contract
I just wanted to see what people think on if Jim Benning will get a contract extension at the end of this year.

Do you think Aqualini likes what he has seen in 4 years out of his GM?

I personally wouldn't, but I do think they will extend him.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I would prefer Hurricane Irma be headed for Vancouver than Benning be extended.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't think he will, nor should he. I voted no. But honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

If that happens I'll probably completely turn in my Canucks fan card. There would be absolutely nothing to support with this team.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Most of us won't WANT Benning to be within 1,000 miles radius of the Orcas.

As for whether Aquaman thinks the same way, I'm not sure.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Definitely. He has time on his side. Benning's scouting will start to look better and better as the years go by.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Taking Virtanen over Ehlers or Nylander will look good?

Taking McCann over Pastrnak will look good?

Taking Juolevi over Tkachuk will look good?
Nobody is a perfect drafter (except Mr. Hindsight).

I think Benning is a good drafter, and as the years go by this will reveal itself more and more. Look at the Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, etc. picks as ones that confused fans early on only to gradually reveal the genius behind them.

Moreover, Benning has been only able to assemble his scouting system and team recently, so drafting will only get better.

At this point, one can only speculate, however, so your opinion on his drafting is just as valid as mine.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Linden needs to go to he's a PR guy nothing more. Benning should not be brought back at all we need to bring in someone from outside the organization to come in as President and bring in a new management team. Fans have tuned on this management team and for good reason. If the Canucks want to sell tickets a new management team better be in place next draft.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

I think Benning is a good drafter, and as the years go by this will reveal itself more and more. Look at the Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, etc. picks as ones that confused fans early on only to gradually reveal the genius behind them.

Moreover, Benning has been only able to assemble his scouting system and team recently, so drafting will only get better.

At this point, one can only speculate, however, so your opinion on his drafting is just as valid as mine.

literally most of the people here, on the canucks message board, did a better job then him.

jesus do you really believe what you are saying?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
So many gaffs. There's been some bright spots but overall quite poor. Organizational depth is bad and they haven't done much to show they can properly develop players.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
He shouldn't make it through his current contract, if he gets an extension I'll just give up.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

a LOT of people wanted Nylander/Ehlers before the draft, that was not hind sight.

the same goes for Tkachuk.

not saying the players we picked are 100% busts, but the players we passed on are doing so so much more.

as for those late round picks, remember how we hyped up Cole Cassels? These picks had not done anything in NHL yet, they don't make a case for Benning's supposedly strong drafting capabilities.

there's no genius, there's only insanity - Benning consistently misjudge talents, both in draft picks and in players acquired. He's a terrible GM in every possible way.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
literally most of the people here, on the canucks message board, did a better job then him.

jesus do you really believe what you are saying?
I just joined so I have yet to see the study out of HF Vancouver on their drafting acumen.

However, I would say that a lot goes into drafting that is beyond the regular fan's perspective.

General managers have to take a lot into account that the ordinary fan could never understand, such as a player's possible fit with an organization and city, how that player fits with other players coming into the organization, making sure all positions are being provided adequate depth and not just assembling a team of 5'9 point producing wingers.

For example, a lot of people might advocate taking Matthew Tkachuk but this pick would simply be impossible for the Canucks organization, as Tkachuk and Vancouver's cultural core of the Sedins/Horvat are polar opposites in terms of personality/playing style.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The funny thing is, if he dident **** up the virtanen and juolevi picks, I would honestly want him back

Last edited:

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
For example, a lot of people might advocate taking Matthew Tkachuk but this pick would simply be impossible for the Canucks organization, as Tkachuk and Vancouver's cultural core of the Sedins/Horvat are polar opposites in terms of personality/playing style.

Lucic, E. Kane, Upshall... Polar opposites in terms of personality to Sedins/Horvat, yet didn't stop Jimmy from wanting them. Tkachuk's personality can't be used as a reason why he wasn't a fit for Benning. Nor can Tkachuk's playing style. What stopped Tkachuk being drafted, was that in Jimmy's mind for a future team, Virtanen was already here, and he wanted a defenseman. Jimmy took the defenseman he thought was best available... and Tkachuk wasn't a defenseman. Tkachuk was impossible for the Canucks organization, because of the position he plays.

----

I vote extended. He should have been fired long ago... but now that we have gone this far, I'd love to see how bad this can get. Extend Jimmy to a 10+ year contract.

Last edited:

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Extended, do the Canucks break a record for the most GM's in history or what, lets get some stability around here for once.

Let the man draft and develop his prospects, it's going to take about 4-5 years to shed the dead skin of the old 2011 Sedins era core. Benning is 3.5 years into it now.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Extended, do the Canucks break a record for the most GM's in history or what, lets get some stability around here for once.

Let the man draft and develop his prospects, it's going to take about 4-5 years to shed the dead skin of the old 2011 Sedins era core. Benning is 3.5 years into it now.

Yeah, now we have new dead skin in Eriksson, Gudbranson, Sutter, and to a lesser extent Dorsett and Vanek. But hey, at least it's newer dead skin. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a rebuilding team (well, not really anymore...?) being a cap team, right?!?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I may be wrong but I think this is the Final Year of Jim Benning's contract
I just wanted to see what people think on if Jim Benning will get a contract extension at the end of this year.

Do you think Aqualini likes what he has seen in 4 years out of his GM?

I personally wouldn't, but I do think they will extend him.

Apparently he is signed until 2019 according to the what is benning doing thread.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Pffffffffffffft. Dead is as stable as it gets. Benning is terrible at his job, period.

NO. For the love of god, NO.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
At some point you have to imagine Aquilini is going to end it just based on money/team interest in the city, but part of me can't help but think that when we finish a bit higher in the standings this season that he'll give Jim a short-term extension. He somehow hasn't fired him yet, so he's clearly drinking the Benning kool-aid.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I wouldn't.

Sorry but if you add our prospect depth + nylander and tkachuk, this team is not remotely as bad as it is now.

I would say that we would prob compete for a playoff spot with them.

We would prob lose a few players that were drafted higher in the 2nd rounder, but maybe get some gems.

It's so ****ing odd, I dono how he can draft so well after the 1st round, yet blows 90% of the time in round #1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad