Does Jerry D'Amigo finally "break out" next season?

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
In his time up this year, I actually really liked his game. He doesn't bring much offense (that's not what we're expecting anyway) but he I loved how he played with speed and grit, along with a fearless type of game. I actually didn't think his skills in the offensive zone were all that bad as far as cycling and possession went. And he does have chemistry with Kadri from the AHL, so you never know, if things miraculously fell into place maybe he finds a nice spot on Kadri's line? He also looked excellent defensively and good on the PK.

Could we expect D'amigo to "break out" next season? (I imagine a breakout year from him would like like 20-30 points with good defensive ability/PK)

if the leafs re-haul the intention of the 4th line i could see it. however, realistically the leafs need 3 lines that can put the puck in the net.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Jerry D'Amigo would be one of the fastest Leafs while weighing about as much as Phaneuf. I'm not saying he's capable of 40-50 points or anything, but very few players can match his intensity. Are you sure you're talking about the same Jerry D'Amigo?

Agree with this guy... not sure the guy you're quoting has watched D'amigo much...
He's probably around the 5th fastest; after Kessel, Rielly, JVR, and Raymond/Kulemin (if either are back).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I really like his game - great speed, great defensive play, reasonably gritty, and more skill with the puck than you'd expect from his AHL production. I'd like to see him make the NHL and get minutes on the 3rd/4th lines next year, and I can see him developing into a very good 3rd liner down the road. If he plays a full season in the NHL next year, I can definitely see him putting up 10-20 points while bringing very sound defensive play.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I love this guy on the team and he deserved way more minutes than he was given.

Just another one of Carlyle's coaching decisions i didn't like.

D'amigo worked HARD every shift and many times was granted a scoring chance for doing so. He's not amazingly skilled, but he's the kind of bottom 6er you need to win.

give him a 3rd line spot.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
It's most likely that D'amigo plays on the 3rd line, gets top PK mins, scores ~15 goals + ~20 assists, and be a very versatile guy that is a clutch bottom six scorer, great playoff performer, and is a very good possession player. He could be more.. but most likely he ends up being a ~35pt getter that is great defensively and on the PK. That's the perfect 3rd liner; basically a non-snake bitten Kulemin.

it's highly rare that a player's AHL career average is the same as their NHL average.

he's 23 now, odds are if he's not putting up the numbers in the AHL, he certainly isn't going to in the NHL, and he's a bit height challenged for the NHL, but 5'11" is not that unusual, but may be if you expect him in a top PK role because of reach. it will be interesting to see next year if D'amigo and ashton can figure it out at the NHL level.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
"Does this team learn how to break out of their zone" is a far more important question.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I love this guy on the team and he deserved way more minutes than he was given.

Just another one of Carlyle's coaching decisions i didn't like.

who's minutes though? granted i doubt clarkson deserved an average of 15 mins .. but you have to admit, the leafs need to at least try and get him going. other than that, when he was up .. d'amigo actually got third line right wing minutes of around 8 to 10 minutes a game.

leafs kind of went top heavy on the first two lines last season amounting to around 35+ minutes between the two lines and right wing was a cluster*** because of clarkson being 5.25m reasons of being useless.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
it's highly rare that a player's AHL career average is the same as their NHL average.

he's 23 now, odds are if he's not putting up the numbers in the AHL, he certainly isn't going to in the NHL, and he's a bit height challenged for the NHL, but 5'11" is not that unusual, but may be if you expect him in a top PK role because of reach. it will be interesting to see next year if D'amigo and ashton can figure it out at the NHL level.

His AHL career average is 43pts since becoming a full-time pro. 5'11" is about the average for a forward. This season he was also on pace for ~53pts. I'm not saying I expect the guy to be a top 6 player... I think he'll more likely be a good 3rd liner (hopefully great) that is versatile enough to provide defensive support and a good amount of offense when needed on the 2nd line. I think he should definitely start in the bottom 6 (maybe even 4th line, if they actually get time), and give him a chance to move up the line-up as far as he can...

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
who's minutes though? granted i doubt clarkson deserved an average of 15 mins .. but you have to admit, the leafs need to at least try and get him going. other than that, when he was up .. d'amigo actually got third line right wing minutes of around 8 to 10 minutes a game.

leafs kind of went top heavy on the first two lines last season amounting to around 35+ minutes between the two lines and right wing was a cluster*** because of clarkson being 5.25m reasons of being useless.

8-10 minutes is 4th line minutes.

1st line = ~20 mins
2nd line = ~15 mins
3rd line = ~15 mins
4th line = ~10 mins

With carlyle, the first line usually got less and our 2nd/3rd line (whichever one was the designated shutdown line at the time) got their minutes. Of course with Carlyle, the 4th line got very minimal toi at the end (when the 4th line was actually a better line than when it had Orr/Mclaren on it).

All of our bottom 6 wingers (when Kulemin was on the 2nd line RW) deserved less time than they got. Raymond got extra toi because he produced on a steal of a contract, but his non-offensive game sucked).

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
in what league?

There are 430 forwards in the NHL that played last year that were over 5'11" and only around 160 that were 5'11" and under.

Sorry, it's apparently 6'1" and 203lbs. IDK why I thought it was 5'11. Either way, D'amigo is 5'11" and 213lbs. That is close enough to the average size for me... Weighs slightly more than the NHL average (a good amount more than other 5'11" players) and is 2 inches below the average height. 2 inches doesn't make that big of a difference (here come the slew of jokes).

He's bigger than Patty Kane, Crosby (same height, weighs more), Enstrom, Briere, Versteeg, etc. etc.

I'd rather a player be 5'11" and 213lbs (D'amigo) than 6'0 and 185lbs (Kadri).

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
8-10 minutes is 4th line minutes.

1st line = ~20 mins
2nd line = ~15 mins
3rd line = ~15 mins
4th line = ~10 mins

not on the leafs - reason being is that is ES time, and the leafs used center / left wing mostly for the PK.

on the leafs 8-10 minutes WAS right wing time. i'm not sure what you were talking about with your other stuff . kessel got around 20 minutes a game, around average for a first line right winger that doesn't do the PK.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Sorry, it's apparently 6'1" and 203lbs. IDK why I thought it was 5'11. Either way, D'amigo is 5'11" and 213lbs. That is close enough to the average size for me... Weighs slightly more than the NHL average (a good amount more than other 5'11" players) and is 2 inches below the average height. 2 inches doesn't make that big of a difference (here come the slew of jokes).

He's bigger than Patty Kane, Crosby (same height, weighs more), Enstrom, Briere, Versteeg, etc. etc.

Is Kadri 6´0? He looks shorter.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Probably not because if Nonis and Carlyle have it another Clarkson type FA will come available and we must have it!

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
to me if D'Amigo can turn into Danielle Paille and play that effective role on the team's 4th line that would be awesome. IF the Leafs can finally ice a 4th line that can play at least 10 mins a night that will help all 3 other lines especially late in games when Kessel's line is not gassed.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

That's not including the fact that size is getting very overrated in today's NHL.

When I look at D-man too, the fact that I see D-men like Kronwall, Giordano, Suter, OEL, Keith, Ryan McD etc... doing their jobs just fine despite not being that big, seems to get overlooked a lot. There's plenty of smaller players who are extremely strong for their size.

Size helps, yes, but it's not even close to the be-all end-all that it's made to be around here.

91Kadri91*

Longer answer: He appeared to be brave as he was a callup.. but in an 82 game season he will not last. He will not be putting on any more mass and is simply too weak. Doesn't have blazing speed or extreme intensity like other successful small players.

This reads like you've never seen the kid play.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
I see him as a very good 3rd liner, possibly even a 2nd liner.

He looked great in his stint with the Leafs and continues to impress with the Marlies.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the Leafs out of camp in september.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't know about breakout year, but D'Amigo and/or a couple other players from the farm like him are going to have to step in as useful depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad