Does Jerry D'Amigo finally "break out" next season?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
In his time up this year, I actually really liked his game. He doesn't bring much offense (that's not what we're expecting anyway) but he I loved how he played with speed and grit, along with a fearless type of game. I actually didn't think his skills in the offensive zone were all that bad as far as cycling and possession went. And he does have chemistry with Kadri from the AHL, so you never know, if things miraculously fell into place maybe he finds a nice spot on Kadri's line? He also looked excellent defensively and good on the PK.

Could we expect D'amigo to "break out" next season? (I imagine a breakout year from him would like like 20-30 points with good defensive ability/PK)

YorkshireRose

Apr 9, 2014
Halifax, England
When training camp comes around either;

The roster will have been blown up and there will be a lot of spots for young players so he gets a shot.

The roster stays pretty much the same minus 2/3 players who arent resigned/got traded and then it'll depend on what positions need filling.

Its in nonis' hands

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He was one of Team USA's best players in the 2010 World Juniors, I think there can be more than a bottom 6 player here.

He is not a bone fide top 6 er, but he is not just a grinding checking winger either.

He remains a mystery to me how we got him in the 6th rd. He should have gone no later than the 3rd rd in 09.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
you won't see a breakout if you get 4th line min under carlyle. i think if we played him with kadri, it would be an upgrade from clarkson. at least d'amigo is better 2way and has the speed to keep up. also, he isn't afraid to go the net and hustle.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Longer answer: He appeared to be brave as he was a callup.. but in an 82 game season he will not last. He will not be putting on any more mass and is simply too weak. Doesn't have blazing speed or extreme intensity like other successful small players.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Longer answer: He appeared to be brave as he was a callup.. but in an 82 game season he will not last. He will not be putting on any more mass and is simply too weak. Doesn't have blazing speed or extreme intensity like other successful small players.

And he doesn't fall down enough to get a $5 million contract from Nonis.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
actually, while he doesn't have kessel/bure/stamkos/crosby speed, he is clearly above average in speed imo. the question is can he maintain is intensity and mental sharpness in an 82 game season? he hasn't shown he could do it with the marlies unless it's the playoffs.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
He was one of Team USA's best players in the 2010 World Juniors, I think there can be more than a bottom 6 player here.

He is not a bone fide top 6 er, but he is not just a grinding checking winger either.

He remains a mystery to me how we got him in the 6th rd. He should have gone no later than the 3rd rd in 09.

Sometimes players simply have everything go right over a short period of time. He did nothing prior to that or since then to indicate that level of promise.

Expectations need to be kept in check just like Sam Gagner will never be an elite scorer despite once having a 6 point night or Franson will never be an elite D despite a string of good games last spring.

I'm expecting D'Amigo and Ashton to be given a spot to compete over next year.

If D'Amigo can develop into a top PKer who can chip in 20 and maybe peak around 30 points for a few seasons like say Daniel Winnik that would be a very good career for him.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Sometimes players simply have everything go right over a short period of time. He did nothing prior to that or since then to indicate that level of promise.

Expectations need to be kept in check just like Sam Gagner will never be an elite scorer despite once having a 6 point night or Franson will never be an elite D despite a string of good games last spring.

If D'Amigo can develop into a top PKer who can chip in 20 and maybe peak around 30 points for a few seasons like say Daniel Winnik that would be a very good career for him.

Carter Ashton on the other hand has an extreme level of compete, and is very strong on the puck.. I am baffled how Carlyle couldn't see it.. He definitely competed at a level necessary for Kessel to notice.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Carter Ashton on the other hand has an extreme level of compete, and is very strong on the puck.. I am baffled how Carlyle couldn't see it.. He definitely competed at a level necessary for Kessel to notice.

Ashton had some awesome chances this year but couldn't bury them. Also the fact that he was on the 4th line yet STILL created offense for himself was quite impressive.

This guy needs a legit shot. Dinosaur-head just won't give him one though.... god ****ing damnit I hate Carlyle :cry:

mikebel111*

If our moron coach plays Ashton and Jerry more than 5 minutes
I expect both will breakout

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
Don't have any faith that Carlyle will give these guys a chance to break out, he's too busy giving all the minutes to terrible vets who aren't accountable.

mikebel111*

Ashton had some awesome chances this year but couldn't bury them. Also the fact that he was on the 4th line yet STILL created offense for himself was quite impressive.

This guy needs a legit shot. Dinosaur-head just won't give him one though.... god ****ing damnit I hate Carlyle :cry:

This is a great post though seeing the username I am not surprised!
I have seen a lot of times, where he passes to Orr, and the play is gone.
Remember the game where Ashton and Kadri were linemates, they created chances but Clarkson literally ruined then.
Give him and Jerry legit 3rd line minutes, and I guarantee they will do well.
I think Ashton hard work is what really is impressive. Its a lot with hard work and decent skill that makes him get chances. Goalies just keep robbing him!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Hell of a clutch performer. As mentioned, he had that spectacular WJC and now has 31 points in 31 AHL playoff games with a +25.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
Speculation on where D'Amigo fits in personnel-wise according to Carlyle:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
xxx - xxx - xxx
xxx - xxx - D'Amigo

With Jerry playing on the 4th line as our dummy coach draws up the lines? hahaha please! No one is gonna break out on Randy Carlyle's 4th line - you can take that to the bank.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
if you've been watching the Marlies games, from START TO FINISH, you'll know how terrific Kenny Ryan has been playing, in particular as shot-blocker extraordinaire.

He'll be an NHL-er somewhere….

Carrick has also continued where he left off the regular season & has been a great competitor.

D'Amigo & Ashton are LOCKS to be w/ the Leafs next season provided they earn their spot in TC.

No way Fraser AND Orr play on Carlyle's 4th line under Shanny's watch.

Perhaps the age of the Broll or the Devane is approaching too ;)

Depending on what happens w/ the Bozak/Kadri/Bolland/McClement Holland prob gets a long look too!

Would love to see Carrick get a cup of coffee next year in a call-up situation.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Lies.

13pts in 17 AHL playoff games when he was 21.
9pts in 9 playoff games when he was 22.
9pts in 5 playoff games currently (23 years old).

In addition to his 14pts in 11 games in the U18 tourney, D'amigo has been ~ppg in the playoffs (including close to ppg in his first full AHL season at 21 years old). In addition to being great defensively, and the marlies best PKer....

It's most likely that D'amigo plays on the 3rd line, gets top PK mins, scores ~15 goals + ~20 assists, and be a very versatile guy that is a clutch bottom six scorer, great playoff performer, and is a very good possession player. He could be more.. but most likely he ends up being a ~35pt getter that is great defensively and on the PK. That's the perfect 3rd liner; basically a non-snake bitten Kulemin.

He could be better, could be worse... But he should've been given time on the NHL team as our pk, boardwork, and possession #'s were abysmal... Free Jerry!

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011

Jerry D'Amigo would be one of the fastest Leafs while weighing about as much as Phaneuf. I'm not saying he's capable of 40-50 points or anything, but very few players can match his intensity. Are you sure you're talking about the same Jerry D'Amigo?

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
i doubt he breaks out, he need to be given a better opportunity than he likely will be. but he is trending upwards and I hope he's at least on our fourth line next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad