Does Hextall & co have a plan

Does this Front Office have a plan?

• Total voters

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think they hired Hextall because he values the draft picks. They would not be thrown in as sweeteners on deals. Kind of the opposite of Rutherford. Which is typical of sports. One GM is all about veterans. His replacement is a drafter.

I think people just totally sway away from the fact Burke was brought in to sway away from always looking to draft. A second opinion on the position of the teams status.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To be honest.....he got lucky in 16. Call it mad scientist theory, but he stumbled on the right formula turning the roster into a one of a kind speed team. Through January, they were a sinking ship. Then they Added Hags, Daley and WBS young legs ..........CHAMPIONSHIP

If you tell me that was all a well thought out plan by JR.......... I'm not certain I'll buy it. But I will give JR this credit, he could always see what wasn't working and would do anything at any cost to fix it; I did like that about him........... I love change.

Getting rid of Johnston was a big factor too.

I agree that the Pens need some changes, and I'll be in the same boat you're in if they don't get made before the deadline. Buy I think Hextall deserves that much. Even an old horse trader like JR was well into his 2nd season before he brought all the right elements in.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
My concern about waiting until the deadline to improve the team is that sleepy will not do anything or very little because prices are so costly. People here will celebrate Sleepy’s restraint when he doesn’t do jack ****.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
My concern about waiting until the deadline to improve the team is that sleepy will not do anything or very little because prices are so costly. People here will celebrate Sleepy’s restraint when he doesn’t do jack ****.

raw

IrishTiger

Jan 15, 2020
This roster is completely built to rely on Crosby & Malkin. So far, they have 2 points and we are still decent. I really cannot put my finger on what we need other than for the both of them to be healthy and productive. Our 2 best prospects at the moment (DOC & POJ) cannot even stay up pointing to the strength of our depth.

If Malkin isn’t willing to take a significant pay cut this off-season (I’m think like down to $5m), I’d totally let him walk and take the cap space.

Last edited:

metalan2

May 30, 2008
In what way? Rodrigues has replaced exactly what McCann gave us for the luxury of not losing Blueger and getting out of Tanev’s contract.
McCann was a near ppg swiss army knife that played all positions well and was a threat on pp.
Rodrigues is doing great, but McCann is just a level above him. I don't see why we kept blinger over McCann,I really don't see what is special about Teddy.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
McCann was a near ppg swiss army knife that played all positions well and was a threat on pp.
Rodrigues is doing great, but McCann is just a level above him. I don't see why we kept blinger over McCann,I really don't see what is special about Teddy.
I think people overvalue him because he’s homegrown and came through our system.

McCann has 8 goals in 14 games but yet, we still continue to criticize him. He could score 60 points this season and people would still prefer Blueger. It’s odd.

IrishTiger

Jan 15, 2020
McCann is probably going to demand a $5+ million salary next year which isn’t going to work with our cap. I’m still fine with giving up McCann & Tanev and getting Flip, McGinn, $750k in cap, and keeping Carter or Bluegar.

I do need to say, I still hate that Horny for Matth trade knowing we had POJ in the system. If Ruth was going to trade for an overpaid d-man he could have at least gone RD after trading Addison.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
McCann is probably going to demand a $5+ million salary next year which isn’t going to work with our cap. I’m still fine with giving up McCann & Tanev and getting Flip, McGinn, $750k in cap, and keeping Carter or Bluegar.

I do need to say, I still hate that Horny for Matth trade knowing we had POJ in the system. If Ruth was going to trade for an overpaid d-man he could have at least gone RD after trading Addison.
Seattle might make out quite a bit by dealing McCann at the deadline. He would attract a hell of a lot more than Teddy ******* Blueger. I just hope Seattle can do better than a C level prospect for him. :sarcasm:

The cap savings were offset by overpaying ZAR. The play was to not qualify ZAR and to protect McCann. It really wasn’t that difficult. Was it a huge mistake? Probably not. But when you fail to address upgrading DeSmith, get less physical, botch the expansion draft, and don’t make any changes in the top 6, the mistakes add up. He didn’t make one colossal mistake but a string of missteps.

Last edited:

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
This roster is completely built to rely on Crosby & Malkin. So far, they have 2 points and we are still decent. I really cannot put my finger on what we need other than for the both of them to be healthy and productive. Our 2 best prospects at the moment (DOC & POJ) cannot even stay up pointing to the strength of our depth.

If Malkin isn’t willing to take a significant pay cut this off-season (I’m think like down to $5m), I’d totally let him walk and take the cap space.
I think some roster tweaking is needed. DeSmith should be upgraded. With Malkin back, I would imagine Simon comes out. I don't think Lafferty or Boyle should play above DOC. I like Ruhwedel as a #7 but not a #6. Also think as others have also stated, a different type of forward is needed (size/physical but can still play) in place of one of the top 9 forwards (Rust? Kapanen?)

Guentzel Crosby Rust?
Malkin Carter Heinen
Zucker Rodrigues Kapanen?
Aston-Reese Blueger McGinn
Simon
(O'Connor)

Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Marino
Matheson ?
Friedman Ruhwedel
(Riikola, Joseph)

Jarry
?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think some roster tweaking is needed. DeSmith should be upgraded. With Malkin back, I would imagine Simon comes out. I don't think Lafferty or Boyle should play above DOC. I like Ruhwedel as a #7 but not a #6. Also think as others have also stated, a different type of forward is needed (size/physical but can still play) in place of one of the top 9 forwards (Rust? Kapanen?)

Guentzel Crosby Rust?
Malkin Carter Heinen
Simon
(O'Connor)

Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Marino
Matheson ?
Friedman Ruhwedel
(Riikola, Joseph)

Jarry
?
Three trades is a tall ask of sleepy Ron. He probably should have addressed some of these needs in the off-season, right?

Reactions: Rakell67

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Guentzel Crosby Rust?
Malkin Carter Heinen
Simon
(O'Connor)

Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Marino
Matheson ?
Friedman Ruhwedel
(Riikola, Joseph)

Jarry
?

when G comes back, I’d move Carter to RW over playing him at wing…Geno’s always been more of a playmaker and play driver than goal scorer and I don’t think he’ll work as a long term solution at wing … Carter has been meh so far…I prefer ERod at center over him at center this year…

also, Hextall has one job rn and that’s getting a vet goalie in here who’s better than CDS…

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
McCann's performance was entirely predictable. Including by me who said that he would put up 60 points on a bad team (I have a record-keeper/biographer here that can look, maybe it was 50-60 but the point still stands) and it wouldn't affect my evaluation of him one iota.

Someone has to score on bad teams.

Also, last I checked our PK has been our best unit the entire year and uh, Teddy is pretty dang important in that.

To say nothing of the fact that they are equally as productive at even-strength and we all know Teddy's deployment/usage isn't geared towards offense.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad