Does Hextall & co have a plan

Does this Front Office have a plan?

• Total voters

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The plan is highly contingent on the performance of the team. They have conditional courses of action. It's still too early to tell which way things should go.

Sometimes it's okay to stand pat and wait.

Note: I would have probably swapped out more of the supporting cast. But that isn't to say that they have no discreet plan because they haven't done a bunch of swashbuckling pointlessness like JR.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
We’re at the tipping point with the team, TBH. I think the plan is, if we start crashing and burning you’ll see guys sold off and a rebuild started. If we stay in the thick of it, they’ll give it one last go. It’s just too early to do anything. Plus new potential ownership…

Reactions: RSPens

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I voted the 2nd option. Plan is to still WIN NOW but time is running out, if we flame out again or don't make it it's over. In the end you gotta trust in Hextall, he's been down the rebuild road before and he did a good job of it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
We have probably the 10th-14th best present and bottom of the barrel future in the league.

Not an enviable position to be in.

I suppose since our prospect pool is so terrible anyway, you can tear it down even more if someone will give you anything worthwhile for it. Aside from a couple goalies there is nothing there.

1 semi-related thought is I wonder if Sully could really raise the floor on a rebuilding team. Winning culture and all that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Any plan they had when coming aboard last winter, is sure to change based on what the new ownership will want.

I’m sure FSG will have their own vision and I can’t imagine they will be swayed too far away from it by the likes of Hextall/Burke.

So the question isn’t what is Hextall/Burke’s plan, but what is FSG’s plan - and does that include Hextall/Burke?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m not sure what is perplexing about this plan unless you worshipped at the feet of Rutherford who got us in this mess after basically getting a million dollar raffle with Kessel panning out while losing nothing of value.

I'm not even sure that we're in that big a mess compared to the range of potential outcomes post-double. Chicago won before us, they're rebuilding. San Jose and Nashville who we beat, are in weird not quite rebuilding struggling to even hate the playoff bubble places. Yeah, Rutherford could have done things better, but they could have gone a lot worse. And even smarter choices wouldn't have changed the position we're in hugely.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pens depth is the best its been in the Crosby/Malkin era these past few years. Only problem is those two are declining. Reality is we have one maybe two more shots at this, then it's full on rebuild time. Right now it's just stand pat and see how they look with a full team once Malkin gets back.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I went with the last option. I don’t really think they have a plan other than “wait and see”.

so did I…no plan…just feeling things out and maybe putting feelers out for a goalie…is that better than JR’s “let’s throw shit against the wall and see what sticks” plan?…who knows

Reactions: ncm7772

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I voted the 2nd option. Plan is to still WIN NOW but time is running out, if we flame out again or don't make it it's over. In the end you gotta trust in Hextall, he's been down the rebuild road before and he did a good job of it.
He’s also sat on his hands for too long and did a terrible job.

See Philadelphia

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
yea.... sell anything locked down at pennies on the dollar if it fills any need

I liked jr, if he would have only negotiated better

I mean, JR paid premiums even for things we didn't need.

He just kinda threw shit at the wall for his last few years here. I don't think there was a plan at all.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So the question isn’t what is Hextall/Burke’s plan, but what is FSG’s plan - and does that include Hextall/Burke?

dear-lord.gif

Let’s undo that mistake…

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I mean, JR paid premiums even for things we didn't need.

He just kinda threw shit at the wall for his last few years here. I don't think there was a plan at all.
Agreed 100%. Hextall is basically the opposite of JR but JR was also the main culprit to what led us to the cups in 16 and 17. Without those trades, we don’t win the cups. Is sleepy capable of making those many tweaks on the fly, hitting a bunch of home runs?

The answer is no.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agreed 100%. Hextall is basically the opposite of JR but JR was also the main culprit to what led us to the cups in 16 and 17. Without those trades, we don’t win the cups. Is sleepy capable of making those many tweaks on the fly, hitting a bunch of home runs?

The answer is no.

Hextall's only made a handful of moves and already has one home run in Carter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad