Does Edmonton Deserve McDavid/Eichel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
What do you mean 'deserve'?

If teams got the players they 'deserved', the Stanley Cup winner and runner-up would pick first and second in the draft every year.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Clint said it best.

What the Oilers don't deserve is the fans still buying every ticket after Lowe has been given a free pass for 9 years.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Did Pittsburgh deserve Crosby? Yes, we deserve one of them. It's likely the only real hope to advance this pitiful team forward to where it should be in a few years.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
What do you mean 'deserve'?

If teams got the players they 'deserved', the Stanley Cup winner and runner-up would pick first and second in the draft every year.

Indeed. With the draft system being the way that it is, the best picks are setup to go to the least "deserving" teams. If the free market were at play, the worst teams would be unlikely to attract such talent each year.

MISC*

If they draft Eichel NHL fans should start a Kickstarter fundraiser to pay him the same amount of money to stay in college and leave once he can. JShultz kind of thing.

Nothing would embarrass the management more.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
But what will happen exactly, if one of two decide to not play for them? They become UFA right away?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Indeed. With the draft system being the way that it is, the best picks are setup to go to the least "deserving" teams. If the free market were at play, the worst teams would be unlikely to attract such talent each year.

Right.

But it's best for everybody that it's not a free market. The league as a whole benefits when more teams are competitive, so it's in their best interests to provide failing teams the opportunity to improve themselves via the draft.

But it's not really a matter of deserving anything.

Would I TRUST Edmonton, as an organization, to nurture a talent like McDavid or Eichel so that they can reach their full potential?

Probably not.

But I'm a Blackhawks fan. Pre-Rocky, I wouldn't have trusted my own damn team to nurture and develop great talent. Things can change quickly.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
But what will happen exactly, if one of two decide to not play for them? They become UFA right away?

If Eichel refuses, Edmonton has 4 years to decide what to do with him before he becomes a UFA. Won't happen

If McDavid refuses, Edmonton has 2 years to decide what to do before he re-enters the draft, just to be selected again by the Oilers.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
No, they don't. They spend money on a crappy product "just because". They deserve crappy service.

This board is awesome. Florida and Arizona fans get mocked for not supporting their teams, and Oiler fans get mocked for supporting their teams. What a stupid, ignorant, comment.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

They still own their rights.

If that situation came up, the smart thing to do would be for Edmonton to trade the asset for a great haul. Same way Quebec did when they traded Lindros for Forsberg and (I believe) a wack of cash.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
If Eichel refuses, Edmonton has 4 years to decide what to do with him before he becomes a UFA. Won't happen

If McDavid refuses, Edmonton has 2 years to decide what to do before he re-enters the draft, just to be selected again by the Oilers.

But can they play hockey those 2 or 4 years? Only in juniors? or anywhere they want, besides AHL/NHL?

Yeah, and interesting if one refuses, what will Oilers do? Just keep him, hoping he will change his mind? or just trade him asap.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Did Pittsburgh deserve Crosby? Yes, we deserve one of them. It's likely the only real hope to advance this pitiful team forward to where it should be in a few years.

They already had three of them, the top pick was supposed to be the saving grace each time it happened according to everyone around here. If they can't get out of the basement after three consecutive 1sts the league needs to prevent teams from doing so, so other teams can actually improve.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
But can they play hockey those 2 or 4 years? Only in juniors? or anywhere they want, besides AHL/NHL?

Yeah, and interesting if one refuses, what will Oilers do? Just keep him, hoping he will change his mind? or just trade him asap.

The can't play in the AHL/NHL for those years.

if that happens, the Oilers will try to convince them to sign a deal and play for their team. If that doesn't work, they'll trade the player.

But the players have no leverage. They lose out on millions of dollars.

Edmonton could just call their bluff.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

If they don't sign in the AHL/NHL, they can sign wherever they want. I'm sure the KHL would be very happy to nick one of them.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
No. 4 1rst overalls in 6 years shouldn't be happening. They already had their 3 in a row streak. Let some other teams like Buffalo or Carolina get the 1rst/2nd overall picks.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This board is awesome. Florida and Arizona fans get mocked for not supporting their teams, and Oiler fans get mocked for supporting their teams. What a stupid, ignorant, comment.

Arizona and Florida do not support incompetence, nor have not been blessed with one of the best economies on the planet. Edmonton also has an arena located in prime location.

I'm actually quit informed ;)

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I've never understood the consternation about bad teams getting #1 picks several times in a fixed time period. The draft is setup to foster parity; it's not a perfect system, but they've improved the process by changing the lottery odds and I'm generally fine with it.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Judging by how bad they have been in every aspect from the players to the coach to the GM to the scouts they deserve it more than anyone. I don't understand this line of thinking that happens around here that the Oilers don't"deserve to get that pick".

Just imagine being an Oiler fan and having to put up with that team. I say to anyone that is judging the Oilers to not deserve that pick to put themselves in an Oiler fans shoes for a second. Do you think it is fun to watch that team? It has to be the worst torture for an NHL fan that there has been over the past 7 years. Get off of your high horse and let the Oilers just pick where ever that pick falls, you don't deserve to tell them whether they deserve it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad