Does Dubas have the power to make a coaching change?

Does Dubas have the power to make a coaching change?

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Management wants to change the Head Coach, they will do it by asking Babcock to take another job in the organization.

If he refuses, and wants to continue coaching in the NHL, he'll have to resign his position, otherwise he sits.

Well, that's if there is no protection against this in his contract!
If management wants to fire Babcock, they will have to go to George Cope and Joe Natale, and they will decide.

A team that is owned by two publically traded companies, cannot fire an employee who is owed 30 million without strong reason. They don't give that power to two people who make less than him unilaterally.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If management wants to fire Babcock, they will have to go to George Cope and Joe Natale, and they will decide.

A team that is owned by two publically traded companies, cannot fire an employee who is owed 30 million without strong reason. They don't give that power to two people who make less than him unilaterally.
Thanks Captain Obvious! It was a given that Board permission would be needed!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thanks Captain Obvious! It was a given that Board permission would be needed!
Except people here are arguing multiple times that Dubas can fire Babcock on whim, when that absolutely isn't the case. Hell, he could even lose out a power struggle in that case, similar to how Murray overthrew Lafontaine, or Tippett overthrew Maloney.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Perhaps to some extent. It's definitely a big financial commitment, but I think the situation he walked into is the reason for the money and term. It was looking to be a potentially lengthy process to move things forward. Playoffs were achieved quickly. Now, it's about success in the playoffs. I think Babcock's job only becomes tenuous if we have back-to-back seasons of regression, or a few years of stagnation.

I think ownership would absorb the hit if change is needed in less than five years from now. For the sake of team success, I hope it isn't.

Oh totally don't get me wrong I'm not saying Babcock can't be fired. He just can't be fired without ownerships approval.

Reactions: Buds17

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh totally don't get me wrong I'm not saying Babcock can't be fired. He just can't be fired without ownerships approval.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying Babs can't be fired, but Dubas will need a damn strong case to take to the board, or at the very least Friisdahl.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He has the power to tell Shanahan that he wants to fire Babcock.
Shanahan has the power to say NO! and YOU'RE FIRED!
I highly doubt that Shanahan would fire Dubas! I think he respects Dubas enough to at least bring the Dubas proposal, to fire Babcock, to the MLSE Board of Directors.

If Dubas wanted to fire Babcock, he would have made sure his ducks were all in a row before tabling the idea. Dubas isn't an idiot, he would have a solid plan to replace the coach he wanted fired!

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Even Shanahan doesn't have the power to just fire Babcock. A decision this big goes to the MLSE board. They may side with him, but they may not. When Babcock makes more money than both Shanahan and Dubas, it isn't fully there call. No one has that type of autonomy.

Again! this is pure conjecture. He who hires has the ability to fire!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ability to recommend it.
Approval to throw away that much money would be required from the Board to execute the recommendation.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
OT but does anyone know why Pits is picking ahead of us? Didn't they go out in the 2nd round?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
OT but does anyone know why Pits is picking ahead of us? Didn't they go out in the 2nd round?
Only draft spots slotted by where you finish in the playoffs are 28,29,30 and 31. Teams that go out in the 2nd keep their regular season slot.

Reactions: remote

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I love how someone here is calling other peoples opinion conjecture, but then offering an opinion based on the same incomplete information.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
and that statement is true for Shanny as well

anyone who believes a rookie GM can walk in and fire a coach with a rep like Babs because um he feels like it is very naive

and if the team heads south under Dubas it'll be all there heads (Shanny/Dubas/Babs) on the chopping block

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I love how someone here is calling other peoples opinion conjecture, but then offering an opinion based on the same incomplete information.

Yeah simple fact is no one actually knows but the evidence definitely slants it towards he would need board approval. That doesn't mean he can't get that approval but why people think he could just wake up and decide to burn 30 million dollars without talking to anyone, that doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 93LEAFS

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
That's not how multi billion dollar companies work. He can't fire Babcock because he feels like it.
no one is saying you fire a guy just cause you feel like it. But if a situation arises where a Babcock firing is warranted then he's gone. simple as that. Whether its shanahan who does it or Dubas it doesnt matter.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Ability to recommend it.
Approval to throw away that much money would be required from the Board to execute the recommendation.

again people make up stuff they hear on sports talk radio they know nothing about. I work in a billion dollar company. THE BOARD OF GOVERNERS only get together for HUGE items. not firing of employees.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
again people make up stuff they hear on sports talk radio they know nothing about. I work in a billion dollar company. THE BOARD OF GOVERNERS only get together for HUGE items. not firing of employees.
Perhaps that's your confusion. The removal of a storied Coach with that much term and money owing would be a HUGE item.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
no one is saying you fire a guy just cause you feel like it. But if a situation arises where a Babcock firing is warranted then he's gone. simple as that. Whether its shanahan who does it or Dubas it doesnt matter.

It absolutely matters, the whole premise of this discussion is "can Dubas unilaterally fire Babcock.?" If a firing was warranted he would make case and it would almost certainly go to the board to decide. That doesn't mean Dubas doesn't have any power, I'm pretty sure Lou would have had to do the same thing. Dubas and Lou both work for MLSE, they aren't kings.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Perhaps that's your confusion. The removal of a storied Coach with that much term and money owing would be a HUGE item.

AGAIN the board of governess are too busy holding "think tanks" in the Bahamas and golfing. lol You think they care about your resume or history when your neck ends up on the block?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
AGAIN the board of governess are too busy holding "think tanks" in the Bahamas and golfing. lol You think they care about your resume or history when your neck ends up on the block?
They do care about the money being wasted and the public perception that will go along with it.
Do you believe anything needs to be run by the Board?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
4 of the 5 Board seats for the Leafs are controlled by George Cope and Ralph Natale. Who both live in Toronto and run Bell (Cope) and Rogers (Natale). This isn't a typical Board where the board is controlled by cronies loyal to the CEO. The decision goes to Natale and Cope, Cope is the person who organized the firing of Burke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad