Does Dubas have the power to make a coaching change?

Does Dubas have the power to make a coaching change?

• Total voters

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Do you guys think Dubas actually has the power to fire Babcock?
If not then he's not a true GM as far as I'm concerned. The coach can't have more power than the GM in any successful team. GM's typically like to bring in their own coach as well. If they don't make it to the second round next year I think Babcock's job will be in jeopardy.

A lot of people have claimed Babcock got out coached, he hasn't won a round in the playoffs in x number of years, 8 or 9 I think? Albeit the wings took a huge nose dive talent wise once Lidstrom retired(OBVIOUSLY.) but still not a good stat to have on your resume. Overplaying Anderson even though a playoff spot was locked up is another thing people have doubts about...the use of Leivo, etc.

The possible power struggle within the organization combined with the rumored rift between Babs and Matthews should make things very interesting moving forward. As much as Babcock has helped the rebuild I'm not convinced he's the coach to take the team to the top. Babcock may be too old school for this era. He's very hard on his players, does that work nowadays?

I'd prefer Dubas to have full autonomy to make a coaching change if he sees fit but I don't think that's the case.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
whether he has the power or not (I think he does), I hope Babcock understands that his coaching isn't currently being look at as "elite" or even "good" (I also think he does).

Babs likely knows down deep he was a vital contributor to the teams lack of playoff success.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
People who think Babcock's job security within the first 3-5 years of his contract will be determined by how far we advance in the Playoffs make me smile. There's still lots of development required, as we all saw against Boston, to turn this young core into the team of NHLers we all believe they can become. Babcock's leash is a long one.

To answer your question, no, Dubas will not have the power to simply fire Babcock. But that doesn't mean that Babcock has more power than Dubas, as I certainly don't believe Babcock could fire Dubas either, if he wanted to for whatever reason. Dubas and Babs will work together, and everyone will work with Shanny, and hopefully we keep progressing the way we have been the past couple years.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Of course not !!!

Shanahan hired Babcock and Shanahan would the one deciding if/when a coaching change is needed for the Shanaplan.
Then he's not a true GM. This is a bad situation...

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I just hope Babcock takes the time to reflect, and look back at his decisions, and maybe, just maybe, consider second guessing some of his decisions....

I don't think he is as good of a coach as he "THINKS" he is. (although he is a good coach, just not the coaching god that I believe he thinks he is).

Reactions: ToMaLe and Crysis

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd guess he does, yes. I wouldn't expect a coaching change to happen any time soon though, barring the wheels really falling off. Dubas is the new GM, but he's nowhere near new to the organization. A coaching change would be more likely of an occurrence if the GM were an outside hire, IMO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Nope just a different organizational chart than the standard one most teams follow.

In TO Shanny is the boss and everyone reports to him directly and so Shanny decides who stays and who goes and when.

If the Leafs struggle it will be Shanahan that decides if its the GM, the Coach or the head scout that is at fault and act accordingly.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Nope just a different organizational chart than the standard one most teams follow.

In TO Shanny is the boss and everyone reports to him directly and so Shanny decides who stays and who goes and when.

If the Leafs struggle it will be Shanahan that decides if its the GM, the Coach or the head scout that is at fault and act accordingly.
Which GM isn't reporting in to a president/owner/higher authority?

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
No GM signs the cheques, so they don't have the authority to do it without approval.
It would be very unusual for a new GM to not have the option to change the coach if he sees fit, at least once anyways.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It would be very unusual for a new GM to not have the option to change the coach if he sees fit, at least once anyways.
There would always be discussion around it, if not there are serious issues.

Who do you think is a "true GM"?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's understood that any new GM gets to bring in his own guy if he sees fit.
Sure if the Owners are willing to pay out the current coaches contract.
I wouldn't hold your breath for Babcock to be fired yet if that's what you're implying here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trawna Phan

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I don't want Babcock to get fired.

Would really like him to become a better coach. (which I think he could easily do...but maybe not so easily for him to admit his faults)

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I don't think Shanahan has that power. Explaining to the board why they need to fire Babcock after giving him truckloads of cash would bring their competency into question.

Maybe in the last couple of years of his contract it's doable, but right now it would be pretty much impossible.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I don't want Babcock to get fired.

Would really like him to become a better coach. (which I think he could easily do...but maybe not so easily for him to admit his faults)
I'm starting to think he's not the right fit. Personality wise as well as strategy wise. I think it's clear Matthews doesn't go for that type of coach. Make the change before you lose the kid and he plays the short term deal, RFA to UFA game. I think the term of Matthews deal if Babcock is still here will say it all really.

Reactions: ToMaLe

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This is just you getting hung up on an outdated front office structuring. Obviously a major decsison like firing a coach would have the teams presidents clearance first. Progressive front offices across sports have progressed to having the President not just be an old guy that rubber stamps moves and talks to the board once a month. This also isn't any different then how they operated under Lou.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->