Olympics: Does Claude Giroux still make Canadian Olympic team?

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Why is Kunitz on anyone's list? Am I missing something other than the chemistry he has with Crosby - chemistry which Crosby would have with the dozen plus better wingers that Canada has?

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Kunitz Crosby Nash
Staal Getzlaf Perry
Couture Toews Duchene
Benn Tavares St. Louis
Bergeron and Giroux

Keith Weber
Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Vlasic Doughty
Seabrook Subban

Price
Luongo
Smith

skroonk2002*

Why is Kunitz on anyone's list? Am I missing something other than the chemistry he has with Crosby - chemistry which Crosby would have with the dozen plus better wingers that Canada has?

You say this, yet in 2010 Crosby didn't have any chemistry with any of the all-star forwards he was put with.

Jun 1, 2010
If it's me, I don't pick Kunitz. He's a B player that's made A by playing on a line with Crosby. I'd rather stick guys with more talent on a line with Crosby and hope if clicks. If Crosby has an off night, you want the other guys to be able to do it by themselves.

There's too much talent for Canada to take Kunitz in my opinion. But who knows what they'll do.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If it's me, I don't pick Kunitz. He's a B player that's made A by playing on a line with Crosby. I'd rather stick guys with more talent on a line with Crosby and hope if clicks. If Crosby has an off night, you want the other guys to be able to do it by themselves.

There's too much talent for Canada to take Kunitz in my opinion. But who knows what they'll do.

So him being a 50-60pt winger on another team before Crosby means it was still Sid? Or wait, it couldn't be that a Flyer fan, a fan base that seems to think Kunitz is nothing but a 3rd line winger on their team at best, isn't better than they want to admit he is?

It takes talent to play with talent.

Kunitz goes to the net and can score dirty goals as well as some nice ones, he has a solid game down low and can grind with the best of them, if you want a guy that Sid works well with and they both read each other well to have the most effective 1st line Canada can have in a tournament that isn't all that long to build chemistry, it would make sense. It helps that Kunitz right now, ranks 3rd in the NHL for points by a LW, care to guess how many Canadians are better than him right now?

Out of Canadian wingers, in general, Kunitz is tied with Perry and 3pts better than Sharp. Now tell me, do either of those get the benefit of the doubt because they play with skilled players? Oh, no...right.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2010
So him being a 50-60pt winger on another team before Crosby means it was still Sid? Or wait, it couldn't be that a Flyer fan, a fan base that seems to think Kunitz is nothing but a 3rd line winger on their team at best, isn't better than they want to admit he is?

It takes talent to play with talent.

Kunitz goes to the net and can score dirty goals as well as some nice ones, he has a solid game down low and can grind with the best of them, if you want a guy that Sid works well with and they both read each other well to have the most effective 1st line Canada can have in a tournament that isn't all that long to build chemistry, it would make sense. It helps that Kunitz right now, ranks 3rd in the NHL for points by a LW, care to guess how many Canadians are better than him right now?

Out of Canadian wingers, in general, Kunitz is tied with Perry and 3pts better than Sharp. Now tell me, do either of those get the benefit of the doubt because they play with skilled players? Oh, no...right.

No need to get defensive. And 50-60 points on another team compared to what he's doing now means that, yes, it is Crosby that's making him this good. My preference would be to see a more talented player on Crosby's wing because if Kunitz can do this, there's a reasonable expectation that a more talented player could bring more to the table.

Chemistry is a fair counter argument, but I also think that talented players playing with Crosby can make up for chemistry with skill. Just my opinion.

NhlFan84

Dec 29, 2010
Kunitz Crosby Nash
Staal Getzlaf Perry
Couture Toews Duchene
Benn Tavares St. Louis
Bergeron and Giroux

Keith Weber
Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Vlasic Doughty
Seabrook Subban

Price
Luongo
Smith

James Neal?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

I totally agree with this, as someone who watches every single Pens' game. (So the argument of you just being a Pens fan is out the window, because I am).

Anywhere else in the NHL, Kunitz is a third liner with a ceiling of 23 goals a season. He is currently an A-list goal scorer because of who he plays with and because his coach and GM are too clueless to find and play a true elite player with the best center in the game. There are 75 guys in the NHL who would score as many goals and points as Kunitz if they had the chance to play with Crosby. Kunitz has chemistry with Crosby, but I bet Sid is secretly hoping Kunitz doesn't make it. He has to be frustrated being as good as he is and playing with the guys he plays with every night in Kunitz and Dupuis. Kunitz is better than Dupuis, but he is still not an elite NHL winger on his own.

If Canada takes Kunitz, they are going to be leaving home a legit A list player who has a much better chance at competing at the level the US team, Russia and Sweden are going to compete at.

Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux

Now that is a line.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Kunitz Crosby Nash
Staal Getzlaf Perry
Couture Toews Duchene
Benn Tavares St. Louis
Bergeron and Giroux

Keith Weber
Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Vlasic Doughty
Seabrook Subban

Price
Luongo
Smith

Giroux over Duchene easily. Kunitz only makes the team because he's a LW who has chemistry with Crosby.

Reaper1097

Jun 22, 2011
Darren Dreger just listed his "projected" team on the NHL network last night and giroux was not on it...

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
I totally agree with this, as someone who watches every single Pens' game. (So the argument of you just being a Pens fan is out the window, because I am).

Anywhere else in the NHL, Kunitz is a third liner with a ceiling of 23 goals a season. He is currently an A-list goal scorer because of who he plays with and because his coach and GM are too clueless to find and play a true elite player with the best center in the game. There are 75 guys in the NHL who would score as many goals and points as Kunitz if they had the chance to play with Crosby. Kunitz has chemistry with Crosby, but I bet Sid is secretly hoping Kunitz doesn't make it. He has to be frustrated being as good as he is and playing with the guys he plays with every night in Kunitz and Dupuis. Kunitz is better than Dupuis, but he is still not an elite NHL winger on his own.

If Canada takes Kunitz, they are going to be leaving home a legit A list player who has a much better chance at competing at the level the US team, Russia and Sweden are going to compete at.

Now that is a line.

agree 100%. skating and speed on the big ice are going to be a factor, but skill is just as important. also, giroux is absolutely filthy on the shootout and still one of the most talented people on the planet.

but who knows, i'd rather have sharp in there with toews, and benn instead of st. louis.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Giroux over Duchene easily. Kunitz only makes the team because he's a LW who has chemistry with Crosby.

it's funny that people are arguing duchene over giroux (who would have to play wing most likely), but not duchene over kunitz or st. louis.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012

Obviously not the same level of chemistry given Kunitz has been on Sid's LW almost every game Sid's played in 5 years. :help:

And I don't even think Kunitz should make the team, just saying.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Now that is a line.

How many 3rd liners score 23 goals a season? and why 23 goals? seems a rather random choice. Sid loves playing with Kunitz and has said as much many times so I think it's highly unlikely that he's wishing Kunitz doesn't make it. I'll agree Kunitz is not an elite winger on his own but he's certainly scoring like one right now (something like 40 goals 80ish points in his last 82 games) and in a short tournament I can see why they'd take a guy like Kunitz who has established chemistry with the team's best player. You don't think Kunitz would make US, Russia or Sweden?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Kunitz Crosby Nash
StaalGetzlafPerry
Couture Toews Duchene
Benn Tavares St. Louis
Bergeron and Giroux

Keith Weber
Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Vlasic Doughty
Seabrook Subban

Price
Luongo
Smith

All of the players Giroux is more deserving then.

Tavares is very close and so is st.louis...

Benn, Kunitz, Perry, Duchene, Nash, Bergeron? Get real

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
Darren Dreger just listed his "projected" team on the NHL network last night and giroux was not on it...

Giroux should not be a consideration. And no way, if he is, would he be on anyones top three lines.

I'm shocked nobody is talking Taylor Hall. Wicked fast, and can carry the puck and control it at high speeds. Scores, and gives it all, 100 percent of the time. They do not need the Under performing Giroux at center, as there are plenty of centers....All better than him at the game. Giroux on a wing? Don't buy that either. Not when there is bigger, faster, Hall available.

Giroux should NOT be on team Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad