Does Barzal deserve a suspension? (Update: fined $5k)

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Gutless play from a gutless player.
Can’t see a suspension though. Hopefully he stops hiding behind refs and takes his medicine next game

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
If Rutta is ok now, I think what Barzal did to the official pushes it to a one game minimum. Barzal looked unstable and should be disciplined but you never know with player safety department. It is very inconsistent.

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
5 and a game was good.

Rutta went down and stayed down like he was dead. Actually reminded me of Tony B up in the sticks if ya know what I mean. Tampa has had some pretty good luck with their players not being suspended for BS petty moves like this so they should probably keep their mouth shut...same with the Bruins fans in this thread which is even funnier.

Was it a bad play? Yeah no question but McDoungh did the same thing a minute before..only difference is that Nelson wasn't hurt. Can't punish the injury have to punish the crime.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
5 and the gate was enough for me.

The sell was the most egregious part of this whole thing

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
Then there's the baseball bat swing to Perry's face that got nothing. They should all be suspensions, would love some kind of consistency.

If you can't tell the difference between the two I don't know what to say. One was intentional the other was not.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
2 min for interfernce on Ruuta he was standing in the way clearly impeding Barzal's route....

Kilorn cross checked Hakinpaa in the face 3x and Hank was called for interference.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
2 min for interfernce on Ruuta he was standing in the way clearly impeding Barzal's route....

Kilorn cross checked Hakinpaa in the face 3x and Hank was called for interference.
In Killorn’s defense, Hakinpaa’s face interfered with his stick so it’s an obvious call the official have to make.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I don't like to blame the victim, but this looked like a troll job by Rutta and Barzal took the bait.

What that means to the DOPS wheel of justice is anyone's guess.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Crosscheck to the face, falls on top of him, and then swipes at the officials arm as he's trying to hold Barzal back. Yeah, not a good look.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
I don't like to blame the victim, but this looked like a troll job by Rutta and Barzal took the bait.

What that means to the DOPS wheel of justice is anyone's guess.

Rutta was skating away and didn’t engage Barzal until being cross-checked, how is it a troll job?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
That was a shove to the shoulder that happens all the time, and second shove the glove and stick carried up to the face. Again, happens all the time, often without penalty. All the time. Just watch every scrum after a whistle.

The major itself was excessive, the usual NHL inconsistency. Further discipline would be a joke.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
He absolutely cross checks him right on the jaw.
Remember last year when Gallagher got his jaw broken I don't recall any supplemental discipline. Well looked it up wasn't penalized in game so he was suspended one game. Note This is just fact stating. not a comment on the play.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If Rutta is ok now, I think what Barzal did to the official pushes it to a one game minimum. Barzal looked unstable and should be disciplined but you never know with player safety department. It is very inconsistent.

He tried to pull away from the ref because Hedman was coming after him and the red had his arm. It really wasn’t anything egregious

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I would say 1 game suspension would be valid here. It was a pretty cheap cross-check to the chin/throat area.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Didn't watch the game but it was at the end of the second in a blowout game? Not sure a game misconduct is adequate because of that circumstance. Not like its any real punishment for him. Oh well. I have no dog in this fight. Stars should be held to the same standard as everyone else though.

This times 10000000

WHen it happened and the score.

The game misconduct isn't enough in that scenario.

No real punishment.

Dude should get a game for that crap.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I am a Lightning fan. I think it was a bonehead move but hes a kid give him a fine and let him play game 6. We have seen much worse with no suspension. I tell you this Trotz rath on the kid will be worse than a suspension or a fine.

Reactions: Olliemets

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This times 10000000

WHen it happened and the score.

The game misconduct isn't enough in that scenario.

No real punishment.

Dude should get a game for that crap.
Opposite of punishment. He had dibs on the hot water.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Are we really asking for a suspension on this? This same literally happens in every scrum, except this time Rutta went down when they usually stay up.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00