Does Barzal deserve a suspension? (Update: fined $5k)

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Yup, those NHL players are total babies. You're definitely tougher.
I might be, I live in Jersey City, been stabbed twice, hit in the head with an aluminum bat, and was in the first world trade center bombing!

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Stupid play and I think it deserves a game but to say Ruuta was unsuspecting is BS. He was giving an Isles player the business (JGP I think) in front of the net, away from the puck with crosschecks to the back, ran his mouth when skating away, and then ran his mouth when passing Barzal. Did it mean he deserved it, no. Was he unsuspecting player minding his own business, no. I also dont think Barzal meant to get him in the head.

After watching the clip on YT, Barzal saw the cross checks to Pageau, and then as Rutta is skating up the ice with Barzal he's talking shit, and just before he does his little spin, he actually goads Barzal into the shoving match by giving him a jab with his stick in the gloves. I skimmed the thread, but like 10 pages in nobody seems to have noticed this. Rutta initiated contact there, right after he most likely wasn't telling Barzal what a wonderful game the Isles played that night. I can see why Barzal went after him, not sure if he caught him in the face as it looked right along the shoulder / neck area, but it's pretty surprising to see Rutta go down like he got shot.

$5000 fine in the end. Player might still be hurt? Definitely not giving Barzal the Scheifele treatment on this one.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
After watching the clip on YT, Barzal saw the cross checks to Pageau, and then as Rutta is skating up the ice with Barzal he's talking shit, and just before he does his little spin, he actually goads Barzal into the shoving match by giving him a jab with his stick in the gloves. I skimmed the thread, but like 10 pages in nobody seems to have noticed this. Rutta initiated contact there, right after he most likely wasn't telling Barzal what a wonderful game the Isles played that night. I can see why Barzal went after him, not sure if he caught him in the face as it looked right along the shoulder / neck area, but it's pretty surprising to see Rutta go down like he got shot.

$5000 fine in the end. Player might still be hurt? Definitely not giving Barzal the Scheifele treatment on this one.
Yeah, Ruuta definitely should have been fined for embelishment! He has a chance of being in a John Wick movie!

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

I think it was 5 cross checks and a slash on JGP before jawing at Barzal.

smd333

May 2, 2012
Rangerfan is outraged! This horrifying act of violence needs an automatic suspension!

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
The bad thing is the precedent. A clear cross check to the face in a game that’s basically over. So any player should be able to do the same. If the game is already out of hand, what difference does the 5 minutes and game mean? If anything, it’s a benefit as it gets your top player out of a meaningless game and he doesn’t get hurt. So tonight if say Montreal’s down by 4 with a couple of minutes, it should be fine for someone to cross check Stone in the face.

Why not do it? It’s not like they can’t spare the $5000..

(I realize DoPS is random, and does not follow logic, esp. if a star is involved. If it would’ve been a forth liner doing it to Hedman, there would be a suspension)
McDonough. No suspension..
sorry they are following precedent.
and I would like it changed but the time now to do that is next season.

Reactions: wingnutks

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Got 30 stitches from that one and was still able to get my Bachelors the next year! Most of you Tampa Trash wouldn't survive in Jersey City!!
Cool. Bragging living in such a place where you're love is constantly in danger for no apparent reason. MURICA! I'm an immigrant, try going to a third world country with your bravado.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
If a player, intentionally, goes to the head with their stick it should be an automatic 1 game suspension, minimum. The injury sustained by the receiving player, or whether there is one or not, is irrelevant. The intent is all that matters. What the league has established here is that millionaire athletes are perfectly within their rights to use their stick as a weapon, as long as the measly 5k fine is something they're willing to absorb. If someone retaliates against Barzal tomorrow night with a crosscheck right to his jaw, intentionally, the league has no grounds to suspend them. That's how idiotic this all is.

Truthfully the league is out of control at this point, I'm not sure I've seen anything handled as poorly as the NHL handles this type of situation or officiating in general.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
So moved from a terrible situation to another terrible situation and are proud? What is life?
Love Jersey City, very diverse tough city! Definitely tougher than the WUSSES in Reddington Beach and the surrounding Tampa Trash! I own a condo at Reddington Beach and go to John's Pass regularly to see a ton of Tampa Trash!!

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
They just showed this play again on Sportsnet. I don't know how anyone can believe there isn't a huge double standard in how the league looks at these incidents. Again, I see this as almost the exact same play as Kadri on Debrusk (suspended for the remainder of that series). Barzal gets nothing. Actually, in Barzal's case his target was taken out of the game, Debrusk never missed a shift.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Mat's GQ good looks buys him a lot of leeway regarding the rules. The DOPS probably 1-800-Flower'd him after watching the replay over and over.

Now if someone was to damage Mat's face, there would be banninations. The player, the captain, the coach and gm would all never be allowed near an NHL team, let alone work for one.

He's too dreamy to suspend.

Haters be hatin.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Love Jersey City, very diverse tough city! Definitely tougher than the WUSSES in Reddington Beach and the surrounding Tampa Trash! I own a condo at Reddington Beach and go to John's Pass regularly to see a ton of Tampa Trash!!

Well at least the whole "does he have brain damage?" question is finally settled. Aluminum bat to the head, yeah, that'll do it.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
They just showed this play again on Sportsnet. I don't know how anyone can believe there isn't a huge double standard in how the league looks at these incidents. Again, I see this as almost the exact same play as Kadri on Debrusk (suspended for the remainder of that series). Barzal gets nothing. Actually, in Barzal's case his target was taken out of the game, Debrusk never missed a shift.

pavel buchenivch does the same exact thing against the caps last month at MSG and gets a 1 game suspension

Barzal does the same exact thing PLUS abuse of an official and gets nothing
The league is ridiculous

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
pavel buchenivch does the same exact thing against the caps last month at MSG and gets a 1 game suspension

Barzal does the same exact thing PLUS abuse of an official and gets nothing
The league is ridiculous

One was a regular season game ... the other the playoffs.

Plus Buchnevich was acting like a Bitchnevich, so theres that.

Reactions: cavs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad