Does Barzal deserve a suspension? (Update: fined $5k)

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The only FAKE tough guys are the entire Tampa lineup who are all basically scared shitless of Matt Martin!!
The entire Tampa team quivers when Martin is on the ice!
Who is scared of Matt Martin? I got 8 reasons to say nobody.

Islanders fan here since the 70s.. A Matt Martin fight the last couple years consists of an outstretched left arm holding the opponents sweater far away . Matt has his head is turned away . Then a few quick overhand rights that hit the opponents shoulder pads or back of helmet. Then a couple right hook body shots. The fight ends with a nod and a tap on the shoulder . Matt then skates away chewing his mouthpiece. It’s been a long time since a Martin fight was a brawl or a Tom Kotsopolus KO. Of course there will an exception here and there or a punch that made it through ..

With that said he is a very important part of the team .. LGI

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Of course not because he is just a cheap shot artist. Soft and fake tough all day long.
Kinda like Kucherov. It was a dirty play, no argument here. Barzal is certainly developing a bad rep around the league and he needs to cool it with the stick work.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've seen 4 Stanley Cups in a row in my life time, have you?

Two joke responses I thought of:

I’ve seen one, maybe two. The third is in the HHOF permanently and I’ve never been there.

I’ve seen 18, because that’s how long I’ve been watching hockey.

None have been won by the Coyotes. :(

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Do you seriously compare a crosscheck to the face with a facewash? Or even a light punch? Barzal got off easy, he should've received double misconducts. One for the crosscheck, one for using physical force against the ref.

It should be at least 2 games, much more if it was the regular season.

Check the post time. After slowmo and slowmo, yeah he deserved the fine.

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
I suspect Barzal will soon have plenty of time to write the $5000 check.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Usually when you skate into a guy and crosscheck him in the face on a non-hockey play and the puck is gone you are trying to send a message. Barzal did exactly that and was too chicken to answer for it. So yes Barzal was being fake tough. He took a cheap shot at a player in the head and ran away.
The ref grabbed him lol. Answer for what? So is Killhorn going to answer for his cross check to Greene while he was on the ice? Is Killorn a fake tough guy?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The ref grabbed him lol. Answer for what? So is Killhorn going to answer for his cross check to Greene while he was on the ice? Is Killorn a fake tough guy?
No but he is going to take a blocker to the back from Varlamov for backing into him about 20x a game.

Reactions: SI90

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Kinda like Kucherov. It was a dirty play, no argument here. Barzal is certainly developing a bad rep around the league and he needs to cool it with the stick work.

Barzal has a little Daniel Briere in him ... a real stick to the face is what Briere did to Frans Nielsen right on a face off ... brutal

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
What is the point of a $5k fine? That’s literally peanuts.

They should adjust these fines to be a % of salary. So the monetary pain is felt equally. Regardless 5k isn’t a deterrent for any player

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
A fine was to be expected. What Barzal needs to worry about is retribution from the Refs for attacking the linesman last game

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
A fine was to be expected. What Barzal needs to worry about is retribution from the Refs for attacking the linesman last game
Like not drawing any penalties unless it’s blatantly obvious or letting the opposition throw cheap shots at him that’ll be ignored? Both probably happen consistently so it really isn’t any different.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Omg so many f***ing tears. I hope trotz starts barzal so ruuta can beat the crap out of him and get his pound of flesh. Looking forward to barzal having to answer the bell.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
when Krejci “slashed” Barzal in the nuts all he got was a fine. When mayfield was cross checked and elbowed in the head those were both fines. The precedent has been set.
So 2 examples prove your point?

What about last playoff when Niskanen cross checked Gallagher? 1 game

Chiasson was suspended earlier this year for a similar (though less aggressive) cross check against Vesey - 1 game.

FYI I am fine with the penalty given. 5 and a game. I just hate the inconsistent and randomness that is NHL suspensions. It HAS to be easier to have clear-cut rules.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
You mean like what Maroon or Shenn is suppose to do if Point is challenged! Are all Tampa fans this clueless???
Don't blame Tampa fans lol - If Maroon and Schenn stop guys from walking over Tampa's skill (and they do) that is good - Tampa's skill is not acting like a punk.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I didn't think it was suspension worthy but I've seen players get suspended for less. Also didn't think they would do it since it's islanders biggest game and they can't have nbcsn precious barzal out who else would they talk about?

Reactions: ultra63

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad