Does Barzal deserve a suspension? (Update: fined $5k)

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Ruutta was hurt. He played one shift after the cross check.

This isn’t hitting or physical play. This is the exact type of stuff that needs out of the game.

Well, do you really think Cooper needed to play Ruuta any more after the hit? It’s not like the game was close.

It might have been better for him to send him to the locker room just to boost his narrative.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
So did Barzal against Boston. People will still call it a head shot.

The DoPS is like a dice. No idea if he will get suspended or not.
This is the sad part. The DoPS is a joke just like the refs. I am in the boat that 5 and game was too much but understandable because they wanted to send the message to the rest that they need to calm down. I wouldn't be shocked by a fine or a suspension. I wouldn't like either honestly.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Well, do you really think Cooper needed to play Ruuta any more after the hit? It’s not like the game was close.

It might have been better for him to send him to the locker room just to boost his narrative.
If he was ok, it was more dangerous to tire out the 5 other Defenseman. If we were playing 7D, you'd have a point IMO.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Mcdonagh hit Nelson in the chest......

This is Barzel's second crosscheck to the face of an opposing player this playoffs.

Take the blinders off and get ready to go golfing
Nelson’s chest is the side of his face? Watch that shot by McDonagh again. He caught him in the face with his glove, almost catching him with the stick. As for Barzals first incident, the crosscheck on Lazar hit him under the shoulder cap on his shoudler pad pushing it up, nowhere near his face.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
If he was ok, it was more dangerous to tire out the 5 other Defenseman. If we were playing 7D, you'd have a point IMO.

Low risk, high reward.
I don’t think playing a couple of minutes extra for the defense will matter in the next game. But if the Isles are forced to play without their best offensive player for a whole game, it’s a huge win for the Lightning.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Mcdonagh hit Nelson in the chest......

This is Barzel's second crosscheck to the face of an opposing player this playoffs.

Take the blinders off and get ready to go golfing

Yaaaa watch again.

May wanna take your blinders off.

You know it's common for players to get a little aggressive come playoff time so no need to get upset. Regardless it's a nothing play and no suspension will happen

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Stop it. He was trying to get loose to guard up against Hedman who would kill him.

I don’t think Hedman is stupid enough to abuse a Ref just to get to Barzal. Getting loose would have lead to him getting killed, so it was in his best interest to use the Ref as a shield.

If he was so afraid of Hedman, why cheap-shot Ruuta?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

They were already down Cernak. Why would he purposely sit him if he could play and risk overpaying Hedman, Sergachev or McD when the game is out of hand?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I don’t think Hedman is stupid enough to abuse a Ref just to get to Barzal. Getting loose would have lead to him getting killed, so it was in his best interest to use the Ref as a shield.

If he was so afraid of Hedman, why cheap-shot Ruuta?
Because he is soft as butter and didn't want to answer for his crime.

Reactions: J T Money

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Stupid play and I think it deserves a game but to say Ruuta was unsuspecting is BS. He was giving an Isles player the business (JGP I think) in front of the net, away from the puck with crosschecks to the back, ran his mouth when skating away, and then ran his mouth when passing Barzal. Did it mean he deserved it, no. Was he unsuspecting player minding his own business, no. I also don't think Barzal meant to get him in the head.
The league should send a one game suspension just like they did for Kucherov a few years back against CBJ. Barzal 100% intended to cross check him in the head.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Of course they weren't gonna suspend him when his team needs him in an elimination game and nbcsn needs him to talk about a star player. Not like there is anybody else to talk about! :sarcasm:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So now for the time for the players to police themselves. I hope Barzal is ready to drop the gloves and be a target number one. Give him hell out there and watch him cry all game.

IMO Bolts should give him an opportunity to answer with a fight in one of the early faceoffs. If he runs away, then you finish your checks a little extra hard on him the rest of the night.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
So he forfeits his salary for that minute.

They really need to revisit the maximum fine with the next CBA. It's embarrassing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad