Does anyone read lips?

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I haven't read this entire thread, but...

- I don't think there's anything wrong with a coach yelling at players.

- Eakins really isn't yelling. Looks pretty harmless.

- That's some of the first footage I've seen of him doing a thing that a coach should possible do.

- He, strangely, still doesn't look like a coach while doing it.

this thread is weird.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I look at this and laugh.

Doesn't matter what the words were. Look at the face, the expression, the tongue lashing.

Sorry, but in guy world you don't get to pull that aggressive talk **** to another man like that when you're a scrawny 160lbs.

Pulling that **** out of rank and hierarchy just makes you look more pathetic.

Its classic small man syndrome.

If you're going to do something like that it helps to have a Babcock type demeanor.

If you don't have that demeanor, and scrawny Eakins doesn't, then to pull that card makes you look like a duck mouthing off a pitbull. With similar results.

If I'm Hall and this happens anywhere else I'm asking WTF this guys problem is.

You can state any words, state any thing, but you don't state it in that matter unless you know you're tough. Unless you know you can back your tone.

No wonder Eakins pisses off these players.

Eakins was 6'2 195 lbs in his playing days and is still in great shape, he also had several 100+PIM seasons in random leagues. Not that it's relevant though, I really don't think any one cares how tough Eakins is.

Big Mess

Oct 9, 2010
Eakins: " Hey Taylor, This one time at bandcamp, I stuck a flute up my..."
T. Hall: " Ugh, what?

Then Acton looks at Eakins with disgust, thinking "WTF, dude that's just wrong."

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
This clip of Eakins talking to Hall doesn't look too friendly. Would anyone know what is actually being said/yelled at to Hall? Body language doesn't seem to indicate a coach trying to teach a player on the games nuances ;)

https://vine.co/v/ObaDOO1AjXx

I think the words
"go up to him" (his eyes then dart to someone on the ice)... "stick..."
.... "after the zebras..."
Then..."DO IT FAST AND GO.... ill *f-bomb* you up ...."

Honestly i think Eakins has been telling the boys to let their sticks go high on players.

Either way its a conversation not a tongue lashing.
Even if its a tongue lashing he is the coach but it really never looks like anything Eakins is saying is directed at Hall being the subject of the fbomb. From the body language and eyemovement its definitely a story or instruction. Shifty eyes baby. Something going down

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007
This is what I think ripping a player a new one looks...

TortorellaReamsOutEdler.gif

65Bsntkd.gif

...in comparison seems like Eakins is trying to coach and actually looks fairly reserved...

btw...currently he is being unsuccessful as a coach...which I believe is something to harp on...but attacks on him on a personal level is little bit much. The guy wants to win...I do believe it...but unfortunately he just doesn't seem to use skilled players very well. But seriously...some of you guys need to chill...before you burst a vein on something that really shouldn't affect your day to day living.

There is a difference as you know Tortorella would go through walls for his players as evidence of him being suspended last year for practically going into the Flames dressing room. I don't see Eakins standing in front of a bus for his players quite the opposite actually he would rather throw them under the bus.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is what I think ripping a player a new one looks...

TortorellaReamsOutEdler.gif

65Bsntkd.gif

...in comparison seems like Eakins is trying to coach and actually looks fairly reserved...

btw...currently he is being unsuccessful as a coach...which I believe is something to harp on...but attacks on him on a personal level is little bit much. The guy wants to win...I do believe it...but unfortunately he just doesn't seem to use skilled players very well. But seriously...some of you guys need to chill...before you burst a vein on something that really shouldn't affect your day to day living.

This is a fired coach who should be fired. Torts is a walking comedy show. That anybody could ever take him seriously as a headcoach is a mystery to me. You can see the Nucks indifferent reaction to his lunacy in the clip. Its classic aggressive monkey **** complete with screaming and pointing fingers. If anybody behaved like that in public emergency services would be called by any bystander.

Perhaps coaches like Torts have desensitized us? I don't think that's any model of how to effectively speak to players.

Also in the Eakins clip note that he's practically baring fangs, his eyes are all over the place, and his body jerks forward spasmodically a couple times like a Rooster in heat..

Emotion? Oh yeah.

In anycase this clip is not viewed in isolation. Eakins had the famous water bottle meltdown at Hall last year.

The worst thing is we have a coach who has been a clown show reacting like this on the bench. A coach with nothing to offer deciding to freak out on the bench adding even more chaos to the party.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Also in the Eakins clip note that he's practically baring fangs, his eyes are all over the place, and his body jerks forward spasmodically a couple times like a Rooster in heat..

Emotion? Oh yeah.

You have got to be kidding me with this.

Can anyone read this and still take this seriously? I mean come on :laugh:

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
My post got cut?
It's ok to make wild assumptions and personal attacks based on a persons body language but not to call someone out on it?
Don't think I was very rude but if I was I apologize.
Tbh this whole thread should probably be locked, don't see anything of actual value and a lot of personal attacks, but I'm no mod so what do I know.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You have got to be kidding me with this.

Can anyone read this and still take this seriously? I mean come on :laugh:

A fair amount is tongue and cheek. Thus the several anthropomorphisms I've engaged in in the thread. Only a few posters caught that.

I don't like Eakins as a coach, no doubt, but I'm also fortunate to be in a field of employ where I don't have management that communicates like that and where I have recourse if they do.

My sincerest sympathy for people that do tolerate this in the workplace, theres other jobs out there..

Also the drill Sergeant in the Army thing died along time ago. Why is it in pro sports and regular sports such mannerisms are still tolerated?

Any parent or coach behaving like this in relation to minor hockey ranks would be reomoved now. A good thing. But if theres some living in the past here its the thought that Coaches ought to be freaking out at players and having tantrums on the bench. That's the strangest thing, that anybody thinks such an approach is appropriate or conducive to success.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
My post got cut?
It's ok to make wild assumptions and personal attacks based on a persons body language but not to call someone out on it?
Don't think I was very rude but if I was I apologize.
Tbh this whole thread should probably be locked, don't see anything of actual value and a lot of personal attacks, but I'm no mod so what do I know.

Actually I agree with this. Myself I give into some momentary reactions when I see ridiculous things, for instance Eakins. Had there not been precedent for Eakins melting down in the most peculiar situations I wouldn't have engaged. But there has been. And in an org where 6 rings K Lowe lost it on the local media with his "I know something about winning" diatribe.

One gets the sense of a feeling of lineage in this org that is beyond reproach in this org and that anybody that doesn't see their shining light is "unwashed" From coaches to management I wonder how much contempt is contained in this org. That this org treats players like disposable chattel and fans as second tier makes me wonder more.

Management of this team leave a lot to be desired. These are personalities that are hard to like and much easier to laugh at. Which I'm susceptible to doing.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
I couldn't agree more.

What a mistake it was coming into this thread and reading some of this speculative nonsense. Its worse than a proposal thread. :D

Amazing to see what losing drives fans to speculate on. :help:

I think it's more along the lines of the Colton Teubert rookie camp cooking video thread. Although, that thread went waaay over the top. :laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think it's more along the lines of the Colton Teubert rookie camp cooking video thread. Although, that thread went waaay over the top. :laugh:

Oh right...posters making claims about his leadership ability from a cooking video.

Funny stuff. :laugh:

dobiezeke*

A fair amount is tongue and cheek. Thus the several anthropomorphisms I've engaged in in the thread. Only a few posters caught that.

I don't like Eakins as a coach, no doubt, but I'm also fortunate to be in a field of employ where I don't have management that communicates like that and where I have recourse if they do.

My sincerest sympathy for people that do tolerate this in the workplace, theres other jobs out there..

Also the drill Sergeant in the Army thing died along time ago. Why is it in pro sports and regular sports such mannerisms are still tolerated?

Any parent or coach behaving like this in relation to minor hockey ranks would be reomoved now. A good thing. But if theres some living in the past here its the thought that Coaches ought to be freaking out at players and having tantrums on the bench. That's the strangest thing, that anybody thinks such an approach is appropriate or conducive to success.

Or is it because you don't have the ability to throw your boss into the third row of seating?:laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Or is it because you don't have the ability to throw your boss into the third row of seating?:laugh:

No wait, what?

I knew this site was NSFW but this is ridiculous..:D

lol

Nah, we got a good boss at work. Can't complain. Much of the time I'm my own boss so it would be strange if I complained, or put myself in the 3rd row..

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Just for the record if Eakins and Hall duke it out in a set of super-manly fisticuffs...
My money is def. on Eakins

dobiezeke*

Just for the record if Eakins and Hall duke it out in a set of super-manly fisticuffs...
My money is def. on Eakins

Not sure about fisticuffs - but if they had a competition for carrying water and cutting wood Hall would be eating Eakins exhaust..

dobiezeke*

No wait, what?

I knew this site was NSFW but this is ridiculous..:D

lol

Nah, we got a good boss at work. Can't complain. Much of the time I'm my own boss so it would be strange if I complained, or put myself in the 3rd row..

If you bought a condo near the arena you would be able to tend to your personal self inflicted wounds at a nearby Rexall...

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
It actually looks like they're having a conversation, and he's pumped up about what he's saying. It doesn't look like he's yelling or ranting in a way that would upset Hall.

I agree with this assessment. It looks like he gives a couple death glares out to the ice (ref's/Canucks on ice?) while talking.

Eakin's didn't change his usage of Hall or Arcobello after the Arco penalty but did make the changes more fluid after the first Canuck goal. From there it looks like Hall took more shifts with Nuge then Arco, but he still took some overlapping shifts with Arco/Nuge.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I agree with this assessment. It looks like he gives a couple death glares out to the ice (ref's/Canucks on ice?) while talking.

Eakin's didn't change his usage of Hall or Arcobello after the Arco penalty but did make the changes more fluid after the first Canuck goal. From there it looks like Hall took more shifts with Nuge then Arco, but he still took some overlapping shifts with Arco/Nuge.

Pretty sure his default look is a death glare... :laugh:

Lowe in Oil

Aug 29, 2006
Montreal
I sometimes wonder how this team would have played under Ralph Krueger as head coach, for a few more years than he was given the chance.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
So I'm guessing all you successful guys will have work discussions with leadership/minions and keep your hands in your pockets?

Body language is very telling. Just look for the t-Rex gif and you'll see that Eakins doesn't know how to do this NHL coaching thing.. Or his drawing board play where we give up the tying goal right after.

Yes I realize my statements are ridiculous and I agree with you. Maybe I'm as crazy as Eakins!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad