Does anyone read lips?

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
The big deal is coach is screaming, ranting, and losing it on a player. A #1 draft player with much more value than the guy in a suit losing his gasket.

If Eakins thinks this is the path to success he's drawing at his last straws. Theres so many ways that mutually respect to use to convey information. Not yelling and beaking off at somebody.

I'm on board with the Eakins lynching as I think his line combos, line matching/toi and ability to adapt are less that most junior coaches but I just don't see it here. Looks like he is yelling to be heard over the crowd, I don't sense hostility on his part or disbelief on Hall's.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
We're talking a physical pro sport here where fighting is very much part of it. You think its wise that a scrawny man like Eakins starts beaking off somebody that could put him in the 3rd row and likely wants to some times?

Perron had to talk Hall down last season on the bench when this happened.

Eakins is playing the wrong card here and that's the bigger point.

I'm not somebody that has to fight or engage in that. But I can impose like that if I wanted to and don't. Because theres much more effective ways to convey than to scream at somebody.

Of course there are more effective ways to communicate, and Eakins has done nothing to show me that he has earned the trust and respect of the players.

It's the idea that his physical size makes him less of a man, or the underlying tone that he's looking to get beat up by Taylor Hall because he "scrawny".

Last edited by a moderator:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Where does he take it over the line though? He's simply yelling at a player to get a point across. It happens multiple times a night on every NHL bench.

Put it this way. Would you talk to some guy in a bar like that? Would you like to be talked to like that?

its looking for trouble, and always, to pull that.

Hockey is an intense emotional game with players being jacked on the ice and on the bench. The player is in a physical state of being very activated. Talking to somebody like that just coming off a shift is asking for trouble. Just my take.

Take the line of respectful dialog. Challenge, confront, get your point across but to go aggressive like that is often indication of drawing at straws.

If a person is a Babcock, Keenan, etc they can wield this and maybe even effectively.

Eakins is not that guy.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Put it this way. Would you talk to some guy in a bar like that? Would you like to be talked to like that?

Hockey is an intense emotional game with players being jacked on the ice and on the bench. The player is in a physical state of being very activated. Talking to somebody like that just coming off a shift is asking for trouble. Just my take.

Take the line of respectful dialog. Challenge, confront, get your point across but to go aggressive like that is often indication of drawing at straws.

If a person is a Babcock, Keenan, etc they can wield this and maybe even effectively.

Eakins is not that guy.

Taylor Hall is not going to beat the crap out of Eakins like the guy in the bar will. No comparison at all there.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
"My hair and my suit are the most important thing on this bench, you got that?!?!. Get your hand off the fing water bottle.."

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

Eakins is not that guy.

I played hockey my entire life, I know how to diffentiate between a coach trying to get me angry to light a fire under my ass, and some dude trying to fight me in a bar. Watch the sidelines of any team sport, or the corner of a fighter in MMA or Boxing, and this is a common occurance. If our players can't handle being yelled at, maybe that's why no coaches can do anything with them.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I played hockey my entire life, I know how to diffentiate between a coach trying to get me angry to light a fire under my ass, and some dude trying to fight me in a bar. Watch the sidelines of any team sport, or the corner of a fighter in MMA or Boxing, and this is a common occurance. If our players can't handle being yelled at, maybe that's why no coaches can do anything with them.

Nope its a ego trip plain and simple. When you have someone say "hey look at me while I'm talking to you" it means someone thinks they arent being respected and are using power to correct that. Totally wrong way to do business.

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007

Eakins is not that guy.

I am sure Bowman,Sather,Quinnville,Hitchcock etc.....all "yell" at a player occasional but I am certain they also give that player a pat on the back when needed. It's the old carrot and stick analogy and us fans have definitely seen the stick but not the carrot.....perhaps Eakins is hiding the carrot up his ass :dunno:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Taylor Hall is not going to beat the crap out of Eakins like the guy in the bar will. No comparison at all there.

Which makes it even sillier that Eakins is choosing aggression there.

Being as you're challenging my statement you do realize that standing a foot from somebody screaming and mouthing off at them is being aggressive correct?

Being aggressive is not limited to physical actions or hitting somebody.

Eakins is clearly being aggressive in the clip. He's doing so under the provision of team hierarchy as I stated. Which makes it even more pathetic imo.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Which makes it even sillier that Eakins is choosing aggression there.

Being as you're challenging my statement you do realize that standing a foot from somebody screaming and mouthing off at them is being aggressive correct?

Being aggressive is not limited to physical actions or hitting somebody.

Eakins is clearly being aggressive in the clip. He's doing so under the provision of team hierarchy as I stated. Which makes it even more pathetic imo.

Also not the first time, the water bottle incident last year, which got brushed under the carpet rather fast was a embarassment.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This is what it looks like to me:
"Now wait...whatever you do, just get it in deep and fast and don't ****in' look around and wait (or "watch"-not sure)."

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm on board with the Eakins lynching as I think his line combos, line matching/toi and ability to adapt are less that most junior coaches but I just don't see it here. Looks like he is yelling to be heard over the crowd, I don't sense hostility on his part or disbelief on Hall's.

Oh I'm definitely reading some hostility there. We're all going to see it differently which is fair enough.

But again I'll point out its not necessary to hear the words in the clip.

Theres studies that suggest that much of human interaction is based on body language, facial language, tone and intonation. Eakins is practically baring fangs there. The clip is pretty clear here.

All of what Eakins is doing there is being aggressive. Aggression generally being the playground of the confused and compromised.

Last edited:

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
If coaches can't yell at Taylor Hall, and it really offends him that much, we're ****ed as a team. If he is that soft, and that emotionally fragile, he'll never lead a team anywhere. But, since he's a hockey player, he's grown up being yelled at so I'm sure he's already forgotten about it, while everyone here is making a fuss over it.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Sorry Replacement. Cannot agree with your first post. The size and weight of Eakins has absolutely nothing to do with the respect factor that is lacking. Yes, Hall does not respect Eakins. Nor should he in any manner afaic.

Eakins hasn't earned any respect, and he sure as hell isn't going to earn anything but a pink card if he keeps coming down on the teams star player like that. Typically in a televised game with 2 Canadian teams. :shakehead

Eakins lost that room a while ago and he doesn't seem to be getting it back anytime soon. Time for him to go.

Denis Savard was canned by the Hawks pretty early in the season.

The Oilers should follow their lead.

I've had enough of this guy.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Oh I'm definitely reading some hostility there. We're all going to see it differently which is fair enough.

Theres studies that suggest that much of human interaction is based on body language, facial language, tone and intonation.

All of what Eakins is doing there is being aggressive. Aggression generally being the playground of the confused and compromised.

In addition to that...look at Acton's. He goes from casual observer to "WHA-WHA-WHAT!?"

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007

Theres studies that suggest that much of human interaction is based on body language, facial language, tone and intonation.

I would assume if Eakins was trying to show/teach Hall about the game he would be using his hands to point to areas of the ice, instead his hands are in his pockets.

I read the body language as someone who is trying to "dominate" the player and show how he is the one who will piss the highest on the fire hydrant.

dearyou

Mar 2, 2004
Whatever Eakins is saying Hall is nodding. Seems harmless to me.... If anything it's the body language of a frustrated coach. And rightfully so.
All in all...hall is nodding in understanding

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
If coaches can't yell at Taylor Hall, and it really offends him that much, we're ****ed as a team. If he is that soft, and that emotionally fragile, he'll never lead a team anywhere. But, since he's a hockey player, he's grown up being yelled at so I'm sure he's already forgotten about it, while everyone here is making a fuss over it.

The problem is Hall gave his heart out last night, left it on the ice, if thats not good enough its sending the wrong message.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

A difference can be drawn between a reading of the riot act which can be used in situations to address a concern effectively with immediacy.

VS Eakins being ineffective and increasingly given to spurts of anger.

Do you think Eakins is in complete control there?

I don't think even coach Acton looking away shares your view.

I wonder what Ramsay was thinking. Would like to see his reaction in screen capture.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The problem is Hall gave his heart out last night, left it on the ice, if thats not good enough its sending the wrong message.

Did he? I honestly didn't even notice Hall all that much outside of a botched 2-on-1.

I saw more chances from the 4th line than the first.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yeah, Hall, and the team had a reasonable game and their best of the season. This is the game Eakins chooses to lose it.

Way to reinforce better play...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Also not the first time, the water bottle incident last year, which got brushed under the carpet rather fast was a embarassment.

Yep, these on the bench tantrums and tirades are more embarrassing to me as a fan than any jersey tossing going on.

That this is the guy the org hand selected to hand the keys to the rebuild to is astounding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad