OT: Does Anyone Listen to CHris Nilan on TSN Radio?

Avengers*

Do you like his show and opinions?

I find the guy to be a true boss calling out bad callers and he definitely got charisma for the microphone.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I find he struggles to carry a show by himself. He's always "uh and um-ing" and has trouble expressing himself.

That being said, I love his perspective on things and he definitely brings a unique aspect and opinion. Very charming, funny, and yeah, pretty badass.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I think you and I watched the same show today. One caller was saying the Habs should acquire Jamie Benn as if it was a seamless task, and Nilan called him out. He made it clear that teams don't just trade away players like Benn, and if they do, then the asking price would be MASSIVE.

Nilan knows how hockey teams work and has real common hockey sense. I like how he thinks, and he adds credibility to the station. I agree with you, I like his opinions and I like him as a host, despite his monotonousness at times.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I turned on TSN690 for the first time in a long while today and I caught Nilan's interview with former Bruin Jay Miller. Very good interview about their fights against each other, John Kordic and about Miller's time in the hospital and how himself and Miller became good friends. Good chat I thought.

Avengers*

I think you and I watched the same show today. One caller was saying the Habs should acquire Jamie Benn as if it was a seamless task, and Nilan called him out. He made it clear that teams don't just trade away players like Benn, and if they do, then the asking price would be MASSIVE.

Nilan knows how hockey teams work and has real common hockey sense. I like how he thinks, and he adds credibility to the station. I agree with you, I like his opinions and I like him as a host, despite his monotonousness at times.
Yeah and he also told that annoying guy louis to shut up about peyton manning and football already :laugh:

habs88

Ya I'm a habs fan
Mar 28, 2013
Montreal
I'm actually still listening to him right now and I find that sometimes he's a little slow to express himself, but he brings something that most people on tsn 690 don't bring, he actually played hockey anddd for the habs, in a time when the habs were good. he can also bring some behind the scenes stuff we would never know from back in the days.

Kingbobert

Jul 15, 2005
Montreal
his not as fluent on the mic as any of the other guys, but mind you hes only had a regular show for what a year?

that being said hes great cause he doesn't mince words and his opinions are educated since he's had a pretty successful nhl career and played with some great players

hard to listen to at times cause he has trouble expressing him, but his points are always once that if atleast you dont agree with, you can agree hes not talking out of his ass like some others....

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Do you like his show and opinions?

I find the guy to be a true boss calling out bad callers and he definitely got charisma for the microphone.

I agree with the post that that said he has a hard time carrying his own show. He's a passenger and not a driver. Sometimes it seems like he's trying to hard to be funny and goofy and it's just not his personality. He once kept dragging the F in the pronunciation of Banff and it was just annoying.

His 'google it' segment is outright depressing most of the time, talking about wars and mobsters and stuff like that.

He offers some good insights but i'll stick with my first sentence

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I listen to him from time to time. He brings a refreshing view that most people don't. He emphasizes on the toughness and grittiness side of the game.

I can't say I've ever not enjoyed his show.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There is a lot of integrity in his interventions and says it it like it is.

However, there is no flow to anything he says, hems and haws and there is an annoying slowness to his delivery. He needs to hone his broadcasting skills. I don't know if he's studied the medium at all, but looks to me that they just used his book as a launching pad to turn him into a media personality, with mixed results.

Then again, the alternative is motor-mouth Simon Tsikilis with his childish pop quizzes and corny one-liners like "let's talk puck!". :shakehead

Last edited:

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Tbh, when he first began on the radio I wasn't sure that he could pull it off.

Its damn hard to talk endlessly about the Habs and NHL for weeks and months on end and not come off as repetitive.

That being said, Nilan has won me over. He very good to great on some days.

I wish Nilan was one of MB advisors.

I'm sure he reads HF Board too :)

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Is that guy really drunk on TSN690 right now? :laugh:

Edit.. The guy just hung up.. :laugh: He was complaining about Marinaro singing on the air today..

Last edited:

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Enjoyed him the first few times but now I can't really stand him. Not hating the guy but I just don't like his show. During his show I'll usually listen to what I missed in the morning.

Habcentric

Jan 24, 2013
Guy knows the game, knows his stuff... And i know it sounds bad, but i love making fun of his accent.... But sounds like the kind of guy who truely cares about the team and wants them to succeed ( im not sure if anyone heard his interview with Patches before the holidays )

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I caught him on the olympic announcement day, he was pretty good

I do have to admit that although i didnt really think he should be trumpeting how he was second or third most points/goals on the canada cup team, when it came to brett hull he didnt sugar coat anything which was simultaneously refreshing and somewhat cringeworthy. I head it the fist time he said it and thought, oh oh. By the end of his slot they had already converted it into a plug for his show.

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Knuckles has improved a lot as an on air host! He's a really smart man despite the Boston accent ;-) , I actually find I agree with Chis more than any other sportscaster in the City these days.

He was a stand up guy as player and now that he's cleaned up his act, he's proving anyone with addiction can comeback!

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Yeah and he also told that annoying guy louis to shut up about peyton manning and football already :laugh:

DUUUUUDDDDEEEE
that guy literally calls every single sports show on every single station of Quebec every single day and i'm not kidding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad