Does anyone know why Phaneuf was traded from Calgary?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
AHHH, PK Sub?
It's very difficult to compare Phaneuf to PK Subban. Much like the Letang comparison earlier, they play very different games. Phaneuf is more like a less skilled version of Doughty or Weber. They're not offensive defenceman, but rather all-round shutdown-capable types.

Since Phaneuf came from a 60 point season, he received a contract with a $6.5 million cap hit. It's understandable as did J-Bo who was signed to a higher contract due to producing good numbers.

Letang 2012/13 2nd allstar team and Norris finalist, 2 years younger and was a key piece to the ring on his finger.

I'd say he has a more then a .250k edge on him.
Do you not feel that the team he played on contributed to Letang's success? We have seen him play numerous times, his two-way game ability is outright atrocious. Nonetheless, he is an elite PMD, and is feeding two of the best centres on the planet. His cap hit is understandable.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
There was always locker room speculation about him and some of the vets not liking each other, the media has spoken about this many times before. Add in frustrated fans,a high salary, him not playing as well as in the past etc and you've got plenty of reasons to deal him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I see a lot of Chris Pronger in Dion Phaneuf.

He was very prickly younger in his career, as he matured he turned into a solid leader.

Dion, from what I have observed has matured. I think this is the influence of Carlyle. On the ice he has simplified his game, listen this is a guy that gets the toughest mins on the team and he has compiled a +15 this year. He also comes accross more thoughtful in his interviews, the hope is marriage and perhaps fatherhood one day will even mature him more.

Dion is an asset to the Leafs, a small bump up from 6.5 to 7.0 is the best we could have hoped for. Nonis has said, he wanted reasonable contracts that can be traded one day if we crossed that bridge.

Though Kessel and Phaneuf are signed to 8 + 9 long deals, they are not impossible to move if they no longer fit long term plans.

Both could have signed for more IMO, but wanted to be Leafs. Same applies to Lupul, his contract is not immovable. Bozak and JVR are the best Leafs cap hits, and I can see them being part of the Leafs for their duration of their contracts.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Calgary was terribly terribly mismanaged.

-Pretty much gave Phaneuf away
-Waited a good 1-2 years too long to start their rebuild, leading to getting ZERO return for Kipper, and significantly significantly less return than they should have for Iginla. Had they traded him with a few years left on his contract, they could have gotten a top prospect + pick + NHL body most likely
-Traded away too many picks when they weren't even a good team. No 1st/2nd round picks in 2010, only five picks in the 2011 draft, etc.
-etc

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
From what I recall, Phaneuf and Iginla were having issues in the dressing room. As previously mentioned in this thread, there were added factors such as the large contract that Phaneuf had just signed, and the cockiness and "alpha-male" stuff added fuel to the fire.

Furthermore, the Flames had just brought in Bouwmeester, and despite adding a solid talent to the blueline, actually started floundering in the standings.

Ultimately, Darryl Sutter (the incumbent GM) said that the trade was done to free up cap space and give the Flames better flexibility with their Cap allocations. I'm sure that the locker room stuff forced Sutter's hand more than not, but ultimately it was a "restructuring" decision.

That being said, Toronto gave up absolute garbage to acquire Phaneuf, and even sniped a solid prospect in Keith Aulie in the process. Aulie has since been swapped to the Lightning for Carter Ashton, who has shown some promise in cracking the lineup this season.

All-in-all, the Flames assuredly have a solid contender to measure up the ass-**** that was the Gilmour trade. IMHO, the Phaneuf trade was much, much worse for the Flames.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Basically stupid management. If he was too highly paid, why turn around and trade for a bunch of mediocre players who you paid MORE than Dion?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
From what I recall, Phaneuf and Iginla were having issues in the dressing room. As previously mentioned in this thread, there were added factors such as the large contract that Phaneuf had just signed, and the cockiness and "alpha-male" stuff added fuel to the fire.

Furthermore, the Flames had just brought in Bouwmeester, and despite adding a solid talent to the blueline, actually started floundering in the standings.

Ultimately, Darryl Sutter (the incumbent GM) said that the trade was done to free up cap space and give the Flames better flexibility with their Cap allocations. I'm sure that the locker room stuff forced Sutter's hand more than not, but ultimately it was a "restructuring" decision.

That being said, Toronto gave up absolute garbage to acquire Phaneuf, and even sniped a solid prospect in Keith Aulie in the process. Aulie has since been swapped to the Lightning for Carter Ashton, who has shown some promise in cracking the lineup this season.

All-in-all, the Flames assuredly have a solid contender to measure up the ass-**** that was the Gilmour trade. IMHO, the Phaneuf trade was much, much worse for the Flames.

Iggy said that was crap and when Iggy (or Phaneuf) are in town they always have dinner together, they're really close.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
In my opinion, he was developing into a certain type of leader and maybe that didn't mesh with what existed in that locker room. He came in here, became the leader, it's his team now. I don't think this can be that rare a situation, just different personalities of teams and personnel. He may have been a young guy in that team with other leaders already there, whereas here he came in and fit a need for one of the youngest teams in the league.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I liked this from the Keenan Quote. Maybe it says more about his teamates than him.

However, Keenan says he very much enjoyed coaching Phaneuf and says he would have him on any team he's associated with in the future; adding former NHL stars such as Jeremy Roenick, Chris Chelios, or Ed Belfour, all had their issues, but all were thoroughbreds Keenan found very coachable.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=345780

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
we got our best defenceman for nothing, im so surprised people chirp phaneuf so hard on these boards lmao.

edit: and no basis from this but i heard him and Iginla didn't get a long, so.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
we got our best defenceman for nothing, im so surprised people chirp phaneuf so hard on these boards lmao.

edit: and no basis from this but i heard him and Iginla didn't get a long, so.

Both Iggy and Phanuf said that's untrue, they are actually pretty good friends, always get together when the other is in town

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
these threads like who is our best dman, why was phaneuf traded etc
are just for the people who can't find anyhting to complain this year about dion, to start a thread so they can spew the same old thing over and over. They look for something to complain about dion and then they try to make things up.

they never look at stats - only when it is convenient for their agenda.

example dion is a plus 15 but its because of our good goaltending

but when dion was a minus it was all his fault not the fact we had
reimer and gustaffsson as our young goaltenders at the time.

our PK is bad this year so its dion's fault not the other guys on the ice.

he allows more shots per 20 minutes when he is on the ice - again never the other 4 guys fault but just his

these same posters over and over again start these threads that
have no basis on what dion is doing for us this year.

what does it really matter why he left calgary - even if he was a ******
he is not one on the leafs and that is what we should be concerned with.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
A lot of people want him to play every game like he played in the world jrs - crushing people with big open ice hits every shift it seems. He plays tons of minutes and is bound to make errors. Toronto fans always pick on a D to be the whipping boy. McCabe was a very good dman, but soon became the target. Komisarek (although more deserved) was a target (sure he didn't work out, but he took it all in stride the best he could).

Dion is a good leader for this team, and he plays hard every shift. Is he worth the contract he just signed..... hard to say, but with the cap perpetually increasing - I am sure it won't look so bad 3+ years from now. (How scary is that!!!).

Someone mentioned Letang as better....yes, I would agree with this statement with regards to offense. Defensively - Letang is average at best.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Calgary traded Phaneuf because......they're idiots.

Never missed the playoffs with Phaneuf as their #1....haven't made the playoffs since trading him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad