Does anyone know why Phaneuf was traded from Calgary?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Salary dump. Pure and simple. Someone in Calgary management thought they'd made a mistake with that contract, and wanted to find a way to fix it. Penny-wise and pound-foolish, IMHO. I think the Leafs will do just fine with the new Dion-contract as well. Good job by Burke and Nonis in landing him, and by Nonis for re-signing him.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
There were rumours there was a lot of friction in the dressing room. The Leafs have made deals like that in the past too. Just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Sure did! Turned our Leafs into instant SC contenders! Oh, wait, it was the Kessel trade... oh, wait! lol
We are still a developing team and had our first playoffs appearance for a while last season. To expect us to somehow contend for the SC immediately is pretty ridiculous. We still require additional pieces, but I think the day when we contend is a lot closer than most think.

Anyone who think that this team should take the Penguins "approach" ought to think again. The team had two superstars up front in Crosby, Malkin, and an elite two-way forward in Staal. The likes of Letang, Orpik helped and a pretty elite goaltender (when he wants to) in Marc-Andre Fleury. I can't see that happening ever again especially with parity this high.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think he just got traded.

He and Iginla both said that they are great friends and Dion has said he still talks to a lot of the guys from Calgary. There were some difficulties I imagine, but I think Burke went to Calgary, and offered them a deal that Sutter at the time thought was a good deal.

Ian White looked great at the time, I was kinda upset we got rid of him (I mean, we just got DION PHANEUF, so you can't be upset, but you get what I mean). Matt Stajan could have easily turned into one of those players that reach their potential after they leave the Leafs. Mayers, well... blah. And....Stempniak? He's a solid player, sorta cheesed we gave up Steen and Coli for him, but he was still alright for us.

I think Sutter was just thinking Ian White could grow into a very good top 4 D that would fit better with the team, and that Matt Stajan would reach his potential and become a number 1 center, or at the very least a good number 2 center.

Fourtunatley for us, neither of those happened and we STOLE Phaneuf from Calgary.

Disgruntled Observer*

Dion had signed a 6 year $40 million contract as an elite defensive scorer, and then went on to post 60 points, then 40 points, then 22 points (albeit with injuries). His defense had gotten worse in that time, not better.
22 points.

Calgary was trying to find a sucker to dump salary on. They must have been shocked that the leafs were actually going to take that ridiculous salary off of their hands AND give them some nhl players in return.
SHOCKED!

And that's why the trade happened.

Burke hoped Phaneuf would turn back to at least a semblance of his former self.
And Burke was at least partially correct.
Phaneuf has been a very solid defenseman for the leafs.

I'm a fan of Phaneuf, and I never bash his game, but he was heavily overpaid on his last contract, and will continue being so on his new one.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Dion had signed a 6 year $40 million contract as an elite defensive scorer, and then went on to post 60 points, then 40 points, then 22 points (albeit with injuries). His defense had gotten worse in that time, not better.
22 points.

Calgary was trying to find a sucker to dump salary on. They must have been shocked that the leafs were actually going to take that ridiculous salary off of their hands AND give them some nhl players in return.
SHOCKED!

And that's why the trade happened.

Burke hoped Phaneuf would turn back to at least a semblance of his former self.
And Burke was at least partially correct.
Phaneuf has been a very solid defenseman for the leafs.

I'm a fan of Phaneuf, and I never bash his game, but he was heavily overpaid on his last contract, and will continue being so on his new one.

So how do you think Phaneuf compares to Letang who got 7.25M x 8?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
rumours of friction between regher/phaneuf surfaced? according to iron mike keenan. he was overpaid. once jay boumeester was aquired, he was expendable.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
There were rumours there was a lot of friction in the dressing room. The Leafs have made deals like that in the past too. Just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Iggy seems to be best friends with him. Calgary thought he could be expendable anyways.

contour

Mar 31, 2011
Biggest reason: The flames had very little forward depth, and had Bouwmeester Regher Giordano Hamrlik and Phaneuf on D. They traded from a position of strength. Where there other factors? Possibly.

Bingo. I think this is the biggest reason here. It was purely a quantity for quality trade. How the Leafs manage to also snatch Keith Aulie in that deal is just the magic of Burke.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes, there were some locker room issues, was talked about here, and according to one radio interview it did get physical.

However, Sutter wasn't exactly the best GM the Flames had, Feaster has cleaned up most of the mess, and now Burke wants to kind of go back to the Sutter style, but his baggage has value. Baerstschi is a good prospect, but he isn't a player Burke likes. Burke says he likes 200 foot players ... wait Kessel? Maybe it is nationality, a soft American is okay but a soft Euro? Pretty easy guess there.

Flames had traded for Bouwmeester at the previous draft Leopold and 3rd. round pick, and wanted to take advantage of their depth on defense, with an eye to getting a center (who they hoped could play on the top line - whoops), and some depth for the team.

Hagman looked to be a 20+ goal scorer.

Ian White, many in Toronto were high on (I didn't like his game), and we've even read posts this year where people would like him back. I'm not sure what people see, but his record of being traded so often and the fact he's 29 years old and still looking for a contract should open some eyes, but I suppose people fall in love with the player without thinking about the team. He's a 29 year old defenseman that teams don't want in their locker? Perhaps we can't see the fire, but seriously folks?

Jamal Mayers? 33 years old and, "In exchange for the six-foot-one, 214-pound Toronto native, the Blues receive Toronto's third-round pick (70th overall), in the 2008 draft, which begins on Friday night and runs through Saturday." Fletcher strikes again. At least Clarkson only cost cap hit.

So the Flames thought they were adding depth to their team, and they did. They weren't rebuilding, they thought they were adding missing pieces.

The Sutters almost destroyed Stajan's game. Today he's considered a reliable vet and provides team leadership, but it took almost a year to get over the Sutter impact. He's UFA this year, and I don't really see him getting 3.5 today, but I'd say he can be a 3rd. line center, who you could use occasionally in the 2nd. line. He PK's, has 3 short handed points along with Stempniak.

So the trade was a combination of things. Would the Flames want a do-over? Probably, but would they have preferred Phaneuf over Bouwmeester? I don't think so unless it was Burke in the drivers seat. Sometimes a player is better off elsewhere.

Last edited:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Can't comment on any non-hockey issues (dressing room issues, etc.) and neither can anybody else - since non of us were there in Calgary.

There were two main "hockey" reasons Calgary made the trade.

1. They had a lot of salary cap space tied up in d-men and they really needed to transfer a portion of that cap space to other parts of the roster.

2. Calgary had a fading, veteran-laden team that was hanging around a playoff spot (sound familiar?) and they were trying to use Phaneuf to make a "bulk" purchase of several players to improve their roster in several areas all at once. At it's essence it was a "get into the playoffs now" kind of move.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Yea Matt Stajan's performance has dropped off considerably playing in the 1st line centre role this season. They recently demoted him to the 2nd line in Calgary.

Matt Stajan is ranked 143rd/top 180 forwards in 5v5 TOI in 5v5 Points/60 mins (1.29/60 mins).
He's ranked 178th/180 in 5v5 goal differential (GF%).

He has no business being the 1C. To his credit, Calgary's 1st line is absolutely terrible though. They tanked hard as of late. Lee Stempniak is the weakest link statistically on that line. Matt Stajan is middle-of-the-road. Mike Cammalleri has the best 5v5 points/60 rate and goal differential on that line. They are trying Mikael Backlund instead of Stajan on the 1st line because he has had good form on the 2nd line.

I find it amusing how even in the salary cap-era NHL, a guy like Matt Stajan could even be offered the 1C job in the first place. It's almost all about drafting, scouting and prospect/player development these days. If you don't get an early draft pick (and obviously they don't always work out) or your scouts don't get lucky with a later draft pick (ie. Pavel Datsyuk is an extreme example), you're screwed pretty much. 1Cs are the most difficult guys to acquire via a trade or free agency. Joe Thornton is probably the only legit 1C that has been acquired via a trade. I don't think any of them were acquired via unrestricted free agency except for the guys who went undrafted (Tyler Bozak). And Bozak is not a true 1C unless you think he can keep up his recent form.

Last edited:

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Phaneuf was having a rough season, and the Flames felt they had a lot of depth on D so they traded him for forwards (and Ian White).

I don't see why people have to make such a big deal about it. Iginla has said a few times there was never a problem with Phaneuf on/off the ice. I think they even go to dinner the day before/after they play against each other.
Do you think Iggy gets the side house salad or side caesar salad?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Contract was the most likely reason, I think Calgary would like to have this one back. Stajan is the only thing they still have from that deal.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
From TSN

Cocky...Where have I heard that before? That said, it is difficult to have a team with too many Alpha's and Kadri is as much an Alpha as Phaneuf so there is bound to be friction.

From watching 24/7 Kadri does not seem alpha at all, it seems like everyone is picking on him and making fun of him. Carlyle leading the charge on that. Carlyle did say that Kadri has a lot of confidence in his game, but he never made it sound like it was an off-ice issue. It was just that Kadri thinks he's a #1 center already where Carlyle wants him to develop into a solid #2 -- which implies he still doesn't even think Kadri is a #2.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
From TSN

Cocky...Where have I heard that before? That said, it is difficult to have a team with too many Alpha's and Kadri is as much an Alpha as Phaneuf so there is bound to be friction.

Cocky alpha does not work when you are not living up to a massive ,jealousy creating contract.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So how do you think Phaneuf compares to Letang who got 7.25M x 8?

Letang 2012/13 2nd allstar team and Norris finalist, 2 years younger and was a key piece to the ring on his finger.

I'd say he has a more then a .250k edge on him.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Since coming to Toronto

Phaneuf 10th in Goals, 20th in Points among D-men. Offensively he's a top 30 D-man. Defensively everyone has opinions, but I'd put him top 30 as well. Being top 30 in both I think puts him as a top 15 two-way D-man. But among Canadian D-men I'd rather...

For sure better: Doughty, Keith, Weber, Piet

Arguably better: Staal, Boyle, Letang, Jay-Bo

On par or worst:Green, Hamhuis, Seabrook, Vlasic

Definitely worst:Methot, Harmonic

He's a top 15 Canadian D-man, I don't think he'll make the top 8 for team Canada but if they take a 9th guy then Phaneuf has a chance.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Since coming to Toronto

Phaneuf 10th in Goals, 20th in Points among D-men. Offensively he's a top 30 D-man. Defensively everyone has opinions, but I'd put him top 30 as well. Being top 30 in both I think puts him as a top 15 two-way D-man. But among Canadian D-men I'd rather...

For sure better: Doughty, Keith, Weber, Piet

Arguably better: Staal, Boyle, Letang, Jay-Bo

On par or worst:Green, Hamhuis, Seabrook, Vlasic

Definitely worst:Methot, Harmonic

He's a top 15 Canadian D-man, I don't think he'll make the top 8 for team Canada but if they take a 9th guy then Phaneuf has a chance.

AHHH, PK Sub?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad